What is your opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedDevil83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
On why we want to keep fish in glass boxes?

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why have humans always wanted to posses other animals. The Egyptians, Romans all had exotic animals and we have zoos. Status, control over the natural world?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a question about a question and I'll accept that lol

My opinion is as long as there are plenty of species than it should be ok, but if endangered they should be free unless it's inevitable than a facility with the right tech should help repopulate it.

My opinion is as long as there are plenty of species than it should be ok, but if endangered they should be free unless it's inevitable than a facility with the right tech should help repopulate it.

As long as the fish are captive bred than the endangered status shouldn't matter at all in the aquarium trade. Let's look at the ever popular clown fish for example. It's on tabs to potentially be added to a list of endangered / threatened species which would heavily restrict trade in the aquarium industry. However, 99% of the clowns in the hobby are captive bred. These captive bred clowns are cheaper and more desired than their wild caught counter parts and as such the aquarium trade has nothing to do with their decline in numbers.

The red tailed black shark is another species of fish that was thought to be extinct in the wild for a decade or more until a tiny population was discovered a while back. Again, since this fish is very heavily captive bred the aquarium industry has no effect on the wild status of this species.

I wouldn't say no effect...look at people dumping fish in lakes that they don't belong.

I wouldn't say no effect...look at people dumping fish in lakes that they don't belong.

The red tailed sharks were destroyed because of destruction of their natural habitat.

The decline in clownfish numbers are caused primarily due to ocean acidification and destruction of the reefs that they live in.

Some fish are absolutely in danger because of the aquarium industry, and it should be our duty to fight those specific cases and aid in the development of breeding programs for those fish. However, to throw a blanket statement such as "they shouldn't be kept by hobbyists" is just a bit too short sighted, and in fact is the exact stance that the government is trying to make.

When (not if) these species do become extinct in the wild; mostly in the saltwater areas such as corals and reef dwelling fish than the aquarium hobby will be the only hope that many species has left due mostly to private aquaculture programs.

So your saying basically that this is our last chance to Harbor fish that are going extinct? Enjoy it while it lasts?

So your saying basically that this is our last chance to Harbor fish that are going extinct? Enjoy it while it lasts?

I am saying that I don't have faith in humanities capabilities of reversing current trends of habitat destruction to prevent the loss of many of the aquarium species that we hold dear. Without aqua culture many species will disappear completely from the hobby.

On why we want to keep fish in glass boxes?

The real question is why do we want to keep polar bears in glass boxes? Orcas? Why do we do anything? Because we are selfish creatures that do what we want.. i keep fish in glass boxes because it makes me happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The real question is why do we want to keep polar bears in glass boxes? Orcas? Why do we do anything? Because we are selfish creatures that do what we want.. i keep fish in glass boxes because it makes me happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

At least we are honest and selfish so I guess it makes us narcissistic in a way.

I see no problem with it IF proper care is being given.

Mebbid made great points. If the fish is captive bred, by all means that's okay.

There are still many exotics that are not captive bred though and it's good to be aware of them.

Most loaches have yet to breed in captivity, those that have its very rare if it's even successful.

Denison Barbs- they are being captive bred now but the aquarium trade put a big dent in their numbers and they are actually on the endangered list. So if you buy these, make sure they are captive bred.

Pufferfish- most of these are wild caught. I've heard some success has been made with dwarf puffers but the majority are still wild caught.

And what about wild fish? Look on aquabid... Many of those "rare exotic or large" fish are taken from the wild. Gars, knife fish, eels, wolf fish. There is plenty of listings for wild caught bettas even...

If it cannot be bred in captivity or we are hurting their population I don't believe it should be kept.

I like you RD, you ask the questions that pick at people's brains. Keep it up :)

Caleb

I see no problem with it IF proper care is being given.

Mebbid made great points. If the fish is captive bred, by all means that's okay.

There are still many exotics that are not captive bred though and it's good to be aware of them.

Most loaches have yet to breed in captivity, those that have its very rare if it's even successful.

Denison Barbs- they are being captive bred now but the aquarium trade put a big dent in their numbers and they are actually on the endangered list. So if you buy these, make sure they are captive bred.

Pufferfish- most of these are wild caught. I've heard some success has been made with dwarf puffers but the majority are still wild caught.

And what about wild fish? Look on aquabid... Many of those "rare exotic or large" fish are taken from the wild. Gars, knife fish, eels, wolf fish. There is plenty of listings for wild caught bettas even...

If it cannot be bred in captivity or we are hurting their population I don't believe it should be kept.

I like you RD, you ask the questions that pick at people's brains. Keep it up :)

Caleb

Why thanks I appreciate that. I've wondered for while about how they are caught at places like Lake tanganyika and malawi ,also how often are all the lakes visited to catch these fish. I've seen video of the huge facilities holding fish in huge containers and it's for acres.

Hi going back to the original question - I like the fact that you create a natural piece of underwater scenery to which we have a window to watch these amazing creatures go about their daily lives whilst being cared for by us,and we learn so much that would be otherwise impossible:)
Also nowadays we are learning much more about the plants and shrimps and how they cohabit.:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom