What kind of algae is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ_117

Aquarium Advice Activist
What kind of algae is this and how do I treat it?
uploadfromtaptalk1433811668463.jpg

As you can see, its completely taken over my S. Repens
uploadfromtaptalk1433812620640.jpg

Is it brown? If so its just diatoms, and you can wipe them off gently right before a big water change. But honestly you will fight them for awhile if this is a newer tank. Its normally there because phosphates and silicates are high in the water. They come from Sand/Gravel/Decor, or high phosphate water. If its because of decor etc, it will go away after they have all leached out, if its water you may have to take other measures.

It looks like hair algae.

What light fixture do you have?
What size tank is it?
How long do you run your lights daily?
What do you use as a carbon source?
What ferts do you use?

I have a Finnex Planted+, 29g, i run them for a about 12-14 hours a day (way too long i know, I bought a timer yesterday to fix this), no co2 (plan on getting glut as a substitute) and no ferts (for right now, i plan on dosing in the very near future).

I have a Finnex Planted+, 29g, i run them for a about 12-14 hours a day (way too long i know, I bought a timer yesterday to fix this), no co2 (plan on getting glut as a substitute) and no ferts (for right now, i plan on dosing in the very near future).
That would be your problem then. You absolutely need carbon and ferts as well as a 6ish hour per day light cycle.

I suppose I should save up for a proper co2 system then. Will turning the lights down slow down the problem right now while I save up to get a system?

I suppose I should save up for a proper co2 system then. Will turning the lights down slow down the problem right now while I save up to get a system?
You can just use metricide 14. Its 2x as strong as excel but only 1/2 the price. With your light i would start dosing 1ml per 5 gallons and work your way up to 1ml per 2 gallons.

You can just use metricide 14. Its 2x as strong as excel but only 1/2 the price. With your light i would start dosing 1ml per 5 gallons and work your way up to 1ml per 2 gallons.
I've read about that stuff before, I didn't know it could be used as a complete substitute for co2 though. Thank you.

I've read about that stuff before, I didn't know it could be used as a complete substitute for co2 though. Thank you.
Its not as good as co2, but it is still good. Its also an effective algaecide. Many many people use it as their only source of carbon.

It won't affect my plec/inverts right? I think I'll go with that than co2 if that's the case

It won't affect my plec/inverts right? I think I'll go with that than co2 if that's the case
Some vals and possibly crypts are affected by it, but ive yet to encounter an invert or fish that doesnt tolerate it.

Hard to see in those pics, but looks like black beard algae in one of the pics.

IMO it is BBA(again).
Try to kill it like it was hair algae and then "welcome to the horror!"
Mosses don't like the glut/excel either from my experience.
The glut and H2O2 in a "one two punch" are the way to go for controlling,possibly killing!
Circulation (you need more) and nutrient removal are also key players in the game.

IMO it is BBA(again).
Try to kill it like it was hair algae and then "welcome to the horror!"
Mosses don't like the glut/excel either from my experience.
The glut and H2O2 in a "one two punch" are the way to go!
So if I were to keep java moss, it would melt?

Back
Top Bottom