what kind of fish is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdude25

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got these 2 fish 5 months ago from my lfs by accident. They were in the bag of RCS, and were super tiny fry back then. They are the same kind, and appear to be schooling fish. They are a little longer than an inch.

ForumRunner_20120813_212934.jpg

ForumRunner_20120813_212945.jpg

ForumRunner_20120813_212955.jpg

Thanks!
-Fishdude25

It is difficult to tell but given the way the head/mouth come togethor i would say, this is a long shot givenmy lack of expertise with them and pic quality, but maybe a type of killifish.

The bluefin killifish is sometimes transported along with the feeder ghost shrimps, not with red cherry shrimps, though. Better pictures would help.

David

See if you can get a look at the dorsal fin(s) - the fins on top of the body. Killifish and rasboras have a single fin, whereas rainbows have two fins (though the front fin is easily overlooked).

I just tried enlarging your photos, and am now fairly confident that it's a rainbow, most likely a species of Melanotaenia. Any chance of a better photo or two?

Tony

Tony Gill said:
I just tried enlarging your photos, and am now fairly confident that it's a rainbow, most likely a species of Melanotaenia. Any chance of a better photo or two?

Tony

That's what I think!

It might be a Madagcan rainbow (Bedotia), but I think the tail is the wrong shape for a Bedotia. The tail looks to be too deeply forked, which matches more closely with an Australian (or New Guinean) rainbow.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom