what kinda of fish is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
i think it was in the cichlid section. it was about 12.99. it was either a silver or white and it had a neon line on the edges of the fins? sry i couldnt be more uhh descriptive but its hard to describe

Do you have a picture? How big was it? What kind of snout did it have?

You shouldn't buy fish without knowing at least a little about what they are.

i have to disagree, that s a lot of the fun is learning about them!!!1lol but you have a point hypo,, i ended up with a red devil cause he was cute,, 3 africans one salvini and a firemouth later blah blah blah, hes one of my best now that hes by himself,,, and with the state of help in most lfs's?? please! if it aint a convict dempsey or "mixed african" they have no idea

no i dont have a pic. i think someones pic to the left has it. it aw about
|------------------| i think. i think it was like a sharp one. i cant buy it because my tank wont allow it. plus (i think) its a cichlid so itll kill my other fish prolly

and how many could u keep in a 10 gallon? 1?

i was hoping 2 because they say their 10 cm and thats like 4 inches and 2 of those would be like 8 inches and i might have a snail or 2 and maybe an oto

Heh thats my brichardi :)

They are wonderful fish, very active and full of personality. You could do 2 brichardi in there, but a 15g+ would really be much better. I keep a colony of 4 adults and 10 juveniles in a 25g. And you would not be able to have any other fish in there. A snail would work but not an oto. Keep in mind they like a sandy substrate, very high pH and hardness, and lots of rocks. So if you can, find rocks that will add calcium carbonate to your water. (Easy way to test is to see if white chalky stuff rubs off it onto your hands)

:) thx i guess ill have to save up because 120$ for

37.99 for a 29/10 gallon stand and 29.99 for a emperor 280. 60$ for the tank and hood. about 20$ for the heater. and about 26 more $ for the fish themselves. 2.99 for some snails. and prolly 20$ for the sand (dont know how much it is)

what else can i keep in there?? corys, a loach, pleco,

and can u give me pics of a female and male ones? :) i dont want them fighting 2 much

Brichardi are VERY easy to sex, and I'll try getting pics up if I can find the camera. Teh one in that pic is still quite young but I'm 80% sure its female.

*Update*Sorry, my dad brought the digital to work so no pics today. Definately by the weekend though. Males have deeper colors, and the neon parts on the tail fin are much longer.

What a pretty fish!
Too bad my water is incredibly soft and slightly acidic. I think I'd be best sticking with the SA cichlids.

:) thx endgame. yeah my waters like 8 gh and i dont know kh. my ph is like 7.2 so i need some of the crushed coral or watever. and the i forgot what its called. like adamite sand or something like dat. are they rock breeders pit diggers or like what kind of breeder are they?

QTOFFER--
Brichardi are from Lake Tang in Africa, they are not from South America.

My two brichardi ended up as a breeding pair :roll: NOT what I wanted, but mother nature had other plans. Once they decide to breed, they will keep the little ones coming. $12.99 is too much money for that fish--they are so easy to breed and readily available. I bought mine each for $5.99 CAD (~4.50 USD). They do like to dig and will rearrange everything in the tank to raise their young. DO NOT add any other fish. When brichardi pair up, they will become aggressive to all the other fish in the tank.

hmm but im desperate for this fish. itll be my first cichlid pair and its the coolest ones ive seen. how much are they on the internet?. ive never bought any fish on the internet so i dont have any sites i can go to. maybe u could ship me some. ill pay ya 7$ for a male and female and ill pay shipping? or is it too late.

I can't help you from up here in Canada. What tank are you going to put the brichardi in? Have you done the research on these fish? Do you understand their water needs?

yeah they need harder and higher ph then i have so endgame told me to get crushed coral or the adamite sand brb. gotta get the name right. they are going in a 10 gallon. which i thought was enough since irts under the biofilter. but now i realize that that may not work since cichlids usually need more room. ive done some research but ill do more the week im getting the fish. 1st i needa wait 2 weeks so i can save up for my 29 gallon so then my 10 will be open. ill have to recycle it though since ill need sand and i have gravel in there. im moving the biowheel to my 29 as well. ill keep my driftwood in there until its cycled. im sure it has some bacteria

29 gal would be a nice size for brichardi. The males get to around 4" not including the tails and the females stay slightly smaller. They make excellent parents--you should research their breeding habits. The male in my tank patrols the tank parameters and always eats before the female. I like to think he's not a pig, but making sure the coast is clear. Then the little ones dart out to eat.

but i was hoping my 29 gallon would be a community tank... will they survive in the 10 or is it just theyll be more comfortable in the 29

10 gals is not enough room for the brichardi. If you read up on their breeding behaviors, you will see that they eat their fry if they feel enclosed. Also, the older fry help the parents raise the next set of fry. You will have to raise the fry for months until they are big enough to go to a LFS.
krap, do your research before committing to these fish.

10g may be enough to keep them alive and healthy, but it would not make a good permanent home and a larger thank will be needed in the future. I paid $9 canadian each for my brichardi, but I've seen them at other places priced at $16 and even as high as $24. Make sure you look around. Menagerie says that breeding pairs are hostile to all other fish in the tank, but IME the pair doesn't mind other brichardi hanging around. They actually help protect the eggs. But that may be because they were brothers and sisters.

Menagerie - Do you have much experience breeding brichardi? I read that they can produce up to 200 eggs in one spawn, but mine have spawned twice now but have only layed 10-20 eggs each time. Do you know what may be causing the small spawns?

Back
Top Bottom