What on earth is this thing?? ID please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, these things have been occasionally showing up on the glass of my RCS tank. I don't think it's Planaria, because I keep that tank super clean. It is a white color, flat, and moves like a worm: bunching up the center of its body, then stretching out. Is it dangerous? If it is, how can I eradicate it?

They never show up in groups, just one or two every couple weeks. I've been seeing them for a few months, but no harm has come to the RCS. If anyone can ID, I would much appreciate it!!

Attachments

• WeirdThing1.jpg
    WeirdThing1.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 91
  • WeirdThing3.jpg
    WeirdThing3.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 82
  • WeirdThing2.jpg
    WeirdThing2.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 86
  • WeirdThing4.jpg
    WeirdThing4.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 79
They are harmless but typically out compete shrimp for food. You could try dosing dog dewormer for them. Usually they happen when a tank is overfed.

Yeah, I am gonna start by doing a 50%, thorough water change tomorrow and feeding less. I don't see much of them, but if I see them constantly, I am gonna get a $20.00 scale and a $15.00 medication.

You don't need a special scale, the dosing amounts aren't set in stone by any means. It's pretty easy to eyeball it anyhow.

You could also manually remove them as you see them, it might not get them all but it will help reduce their numbers.

Back
Top Bottom