What sex of Betta would you choose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sponge Bob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Female for me all the way I love putting alot of them together with no problems at all :) Even though the males look nicer...I like putting more fishes together in one tank then isolating them. Either way I love both :D

I have a male betta. But I'm thinking of setting up my old 10 gal, putting him in it and getting him 2 female buddies.

One of my Female Bettas just laid a tone of eggs the other day and they hatched in 24 hours. It's raining bettas in my tank right now.

I have 2 males and 2 females. A pair per tank.

I thought about breeding Bettas (and why didn't my last post to this topic show up? :)) but I don't think I have enough containers to hold all of the males before they start killing each other.

When I was doing research, I read that the female can lay as many as 300 eggs at a time. Not many fry make it tho. I'd be interested in knowing how many you have, and how many survive, SoCal.

-j

Are there more than one sex of betta?!?!?! :mrgreen: I had no idea!

==========================>Males all the way! (I guess I'm a sexist fishkeeper. Like pre-teen boys, huh? No girls allowed and all that jazz, right?) :eyes:

Hmm, I gotta say females. My first fish (well, my first serious fish-keeping fish, that is) were a male and female betta. The male died of fin rot and fungus. The female is still here - 11 months later! I got a replacement male and came home one day to find him dead, his nose wedged in the gravel. (how'd THAT happen??) Finally, when I got my 55 gallon, a male betta came with it . . . and when I returned from my 6 week vacation, he was MIA. No idea what happened to him. And the female had actually been chasing him around instead of vice versa . . . ! But the female's been here from the start, and several people have told me, "no way, he can't be a girl, he's too pretty" about her. Striped and purpley and violety. Very jeweled and with a definte personality. So I have to say girl power on this one . . . at least they survive!

Purplestarfish,

Your femal Betta may actually be a shortfin male, they look very similar. That would explain the murder mysteries in you tank.

Well......I think the easy part is finding a willing pair. I just found out that the hardest part is keeping them alive after they hatch. I just lost my whole spawn.......looked like several hundred fry. When I went to bed they where doing the up and down thing and in the morning they where all dead.

I did notice that a white cottony film had developed on the bottom of the tank, not sure what that was.

Yeah, the thing about breeding Bettas is the female lays hundreds of eggs. When I was doing some research on that, I found out that she can lay as many as 300 or more. The sad thing is only a handful make it. You'll have dozens of fry die all at once. I read some guy's betta journal and he had counted over 250, and in the end only 8 made it.

Imagine if you had to separate 125 males out...that's a lot of containers. :)

-j

If the water condition is right and you are careful it can be easy to get bettas to spawn. What I have done is place the male in a ten gallon tank at 78 degrees (F). I float the female in a small bowl in the tank. The male will start a bubble nest. When they show an interest in each other I "spill" her out into the main tank. At this point keep a close watch. If the female will not mate, the male will attack her and possibly kill her. If she is not ready get her out with a small net and repeat the isolation in the small bowl. The actual spawning is amazing to watch. If they do spawn be prepared to net the female out right away. The male does all the rest and will once again, attack the female if she is still in the tank. (even a heavily planted tank does not seem to thwart the males attacks.) Hope this helps. I have done it several times and love it. (have lots of little jars around for the new males) :wink: Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom