What to do when the fluorescent light starts buzzing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobiusnu

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a fluorescent strip light that recently started buzzing. It's my understanding that's a problem with the ballast. Is there any way to replace the ballast in fluorescent strip lights?

Thanks.

Edit -- Would something like this fix the problem? http://tinyurl.com/g7oor

What I've tried so far: I switched the bulb from the noisy light with a bulb from a quiet light. That didn't fix the problem. I switched the starter from a quiet light to the noisy light. That didn't do anything either.

yes.. you need a new ballast.
yes.. the link, that's a replacement (looks to be an old style magnetic replacement ballast)

Is the bulb flickering yet? Sometimes the old magnitic ballasts will make the buzzing noise long before they go bad. I would suggest looking for a electronic replacment ballast.

and before you ask me what to look for in a replacement electronic ballast I would need to know what bulb type (size), length, and the number of bulbs that are in your fixture.

the electronic ballasts are labled like this [#-F##T#(#)] number of bulbs-F(wattage of the largest set of bulbs the ballast will work with)T(the size of the bulbs in diamiter in eighth's of an inch (T-8 being one inch diamiter bulbs T12 being one and onehalf inch diamiter bulbs)
example.. a ballast made to drive two one inch diamiter four foot length maximum bulbs looks like this 2-F32T8

greenmaji said:
and before you ask me what to look for in a replacement electronic ballast I would need to know what bulb type (size), length, and the number of bulbs that are in your fixture.

It's a 24" fixture with 1 18" T-8 bulb. The bulb in it is a 15 watt bulb. But I have another tank with a similar light strip that has an 18 watt bulb, so I'd probably want to be able to use an 18 watt bulb if I need to.

the electronic ballasts are used for 12" to 48" bulbs.. you would be looking for a 1-F32T8 ballast :D

they might not bother putting the 1 in front..

your local lighting department (hardware store or what have you) might have one of these in stock :D

greenmaji said:
yes.. you need a new ballast.
yes.. the link, that's a replacement (looks to be an old style magnetic replacement ballast)

How do you tell whether it's magnetic if it doesn't say?

The seperate starter (electronic ballasts have the starting circtry inside the ballast).. the shipping weight is also a dead giveaway (magnitic ballasts are MUCH heavier, my electronic ballasts are in the ounces in weight and there rated four bulbs)..

Home Depot or Lowes should have what I suggested above..
If you want to just see what one is suppose to look like.. here is a link..
http://www.servicelighting.com/catalog_product.cfm?prod=MG19981

Back
Top Bottom