What to stock in 5.5g with plastic plants??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 5.5g with plastic plants that isn't currently running and I'm hoping to get it up soon

:) I know I could go with a betta or a couple of dwarf puffers in there, and I may go with one of those stocking plans, but are there any other fish or stocking plans anyone would suggest? Open to pretty much everything!

Thanks! ;)

If you get a betta, ditch the plastic and use real or silk plants. Plastic plants can tear their fins.

Unfortunately not much else anthoeny. The fish which are small enough to fit size wise into the tank need room to swim (like white mountain minnows). I think the dwarf puffers would be pretty cool and not the standard one sees in small tanks tho :)

Ooh! 8O I'm all for the dwarf puffers. Adorable, PLUS they have tons of personality. Went to a LFS and saw them; they weren't in the tank their tag was in and the lady there (someone knowledgable, for once!) said that they had to be moved because they were terrorizing 4" long kissing gouramis. (They get along fine with each other, though!) It makes me think of chihuahuas . . . little rats of dogs that are brave enough to chase bears out of their backyards (read about it in a back issue of DogFancy and I don't even have a dog :wink: !). Great guys. Go for it. They're awesome. 8)

I love my dwarf puffers. Lol I even did the big no no and put them in a community tank. They get along fine with the other fish I have in the tank, and believe me I watched very very carefully to make sure. Of course by the end of next month I hope to have my own place, and will have them in their own tank more than likely. Finaly will have enough room to set up the rest of my tanks. then of course I get to go fish and plant shopping alllll over again, oh boy lol. But yeah the dwarf puffers are so much fun. I woudl definetly get them I think you will love them

Having seen dwarf puffers--I will say they are appealing!!
I just spent a long while trying to find a semi-recent thread about fish for a 5 gal. There was also a thread about small fish for a 10 gal (my eyes must be going--I know that one was very recent!!). However, as said before, many of the little fish need room to swim.

coolieloaches are nice little things but they stay on the bottom of the tank so you can still have more fish.......use real plants they are not that hard to look after...good luck :D

Alright... so now that I have an idea of what fish I'm going to be keeping, could you please suggest some overall stocking plans (with numbers :mrgreen: ) and what live plants with that plan too :D

You could do java fern as it grows slowly when you just have it under lights. Supposedly java moss grows slowly as well but mine seems to have doubled in size in under a month (or it was just more compacted originally).

If you have intense lighting there may be some small "grass like" plants that don't require CO2 injection but most bright light plants do require CO2.

In that small of a tank I can say stay away from hornwort and hygrophila. IME it would only be about 2 months before the entire tank would be full of just these two plants (though they are quite easy to grow if you don't mind cutting them back all the time).

Okay guys here's what I think I've decided to do with the 5.5g :)
-Invest in a fluorescent striplight (instead of the dull incandescent one i have now) so I can plant the tank
Substrate- Schulz Aquatic Plant Soil

Stock:
3 Sparkling Gouramis
3 Amano Shrimp
3 Pygmy Cories
1 Oto

Plants:
Back - Dwarf Saggitaria
Mid - Java Fern
Floating - Riccia fluitans
Fore - Anubias Nana, Glossostigma elatinoides, Java Moss

....Thumbs up??:D

Would this setup plan work instead of the previous one ??

5g planted tank

1 Sparkling Gouramis (Trichopsis pumilus)
1 African Dwarf Frog
3 Amano Shrimp
3 Pygmy Cories
1 Oto

Plants:
Backround - Dwarf Saggitaria
Mid - Java Fern
Floating - Riccia fluitans
Fore - Anubias Nana, Glossostigma elatinoides, Java Moss

I'm not a plant person, but the fish look good. You'll love the pygmies--I have five in the 10 gal hex and want more! The pygmies will be bottom and mid dwellers--they move around all the time. Do not add the Oto until the tank is very established and there is lots for it to eat. It is my understanding they don't do well in new tanks.

Back
Top Bottom