what you dont want to hear about cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
adding dirty h20 is adding a small amount of ammonia and nitrifying bacterias, at least its from fish,and would get nitrified quickly... i'll pee in it, until its cycled,,,lol

adding dirty h20 is adding a small amount of ammonia and nitrifying bacterias, at least its from fish,and would get nitrified quickly... i'll pee in it, until its cycled,,,lol

There is effectively no beneficial bacteria in the water column. It's on the surfaces inside the tank. Maybe if you have a dirty, un-cycled tank you'd be adding ammonia through its water, but then what's the point?

doogle said:

In truth, I have read on sights that you can use your own pee.... I wouldn't dare, knowing that my fish are swimming in my cycled pee water would freak me out, but it does have the ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

if you put water from an established tank in, you are having a reverse type effect because of the lack of nitrifying bacteria.it should turn into a small ammonia source.

doogle said:
if you put water from an established tank in, you are having a reverse type effect because of the lack of nitrifying bacteria.it should turn into a small ammonia source.

I say if you put old tank water in your putting in nasty water instead of clean water. The water has really nothing that is significant to cycling. There isn't enough ammonia in it unless you use a tank that isn't cycled because a cycled tank should never house ammonia which make this theory wrong in my personal opinion. I don't see how it would have a reverse effect. If your trying to cycle a tank and put dirty water into it all you will do is slow it down and make your tank dirty.

If you would like to test this theory go right ahead but I see nothing happening because the cycled water will stay cycled until no ammonia is present and then the nitrobacter bacteria would die and so would the nitrosomonas bacteria and in the end that would not convert back to ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

You can get ammonia in your water supply. Tap water has ammonia in it.

If you're using water drawn from the bottom of the tank, like when you're cleaning your gravel or sucked out from under a UGF you stand a better chance of getting the bacteria needed.

If you're using water out of the water column, chances are slim you are getting what you need.

Now, let's play nice folks.

slow it down? im saying what the above comment states, it should have a little of both but the water is adding a little ammonia, havent you ever upgraded a tank and used half your water? or something like that. i wanted to spead up a cycle, used water from my best tank, put it in, a little gravel from it, a week later it was fish ready. fast for fishless huh? you can always clean it later..............

Drop in used filter media, drop in light bioload, no issues whatsoever. I have literally done this hundreds of times. Moving dirty water is just moving dirty water. When I upgrade I do not use the dirty water. There is simply no need and all my fish are used to huge water changes anyway. You're really overcomplicating things IMO.

Um, how is putting in old tank water then topping up with fresh with a new tank any different to doing a water change?

When I seed a brand new tank I put an established filter, some established substrate and some established tank water into the new tank. I normally take whatever water is needed to fill 50% of the new tank. I then topup with fresh and add fish immediately. I also obviously topup the source tank.

What this does is instantly establishes two tanks. And both tanks will basically just have had a 50% water change. Using old tank water isn't a bad thing, infact if you're moving the fish it's going to make things a[moderator edit]of a lot easier as your new tank is instantly the same temp, pH etc as your other tank.

I think using old water (for ease, etc.) is a personal thing; I personally have no opinion whatsoever on that matter. The issue is whether it effects cycling whatsoever.

word. the thread started about this, established tank water is bad for seeding a tank ? you need a ammo source, there you go, you need a extra filter, there you go, if its coming from the same tank it isnt gonna matter much,as long as its a healthy tank who cares about the water. we all do lots of water changes, one more wont hurt......

Doogle: the point is if you're using a cycled filter then the water doesn't matter, new or old. If you're not using cycled media, then water doesn't matter. Water from the water column of a cycled tank won't have enough ammonia to fuel a full new cycle. (Well, maybe it'd establish an incredibly weak colony, considering it'd be ~0.25 ppm tops coming from a "healthy tank." ?) It shouldn't even be detectable in a cycled tank. If you want an ammonia source big enough to cycle, get a raw shrimp or bottled ammonia.
I'm not trying to be rude, I'm trying to see if we're on the same page?

Edit: apparently we're understanding each other just fine. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Um, how is putting in old tank water then topping up with fresh with a new tank any different to doing a water change?

When I seed a brand new tank I put an established filter, some established substrate and some established tank water into the new tank. I normally take whatever water is needed to fill 50% of the new tank. I then topup with fresh and add fish immediately. I also obviously topup the source tank.

What this does is instantly establishes two tanks. And both tanks will basically just have had a 50% water change. Using old tank water isn't a bad thing, infact if you're moving the fish it's going to make things a [moderator edit] of a lot easier as your new tank is instantly the same temp, pH etc as your other tank.

But you are adding the established media/filter etc. My reading of this post is about just adding water ONLY from an established tank, which wouldn't do a heck of a lot of good as the bacteria aren't in the water column.

someone prove to me that, then why is it soooo dirty then. and yes thats what page we r one, lol. wow 4 pages on this! water only.prove it has nothing more than ugly in it. also saying it could make an ammo source without a bacteria colony.(not 100% on that)

But you are adding the established media/filter etc. My reading of this post is about just adding water ONLY from an established tank, which wouldn't do a heck of a lot of good as the bacteria aren't in the water column.

If they aren't in the water column, then there should be no problem using used water as there's nothing in there to cause ammonia spikes when it's used. ;)

you may or may not have to read or respond, thats up to you. so now there is no way established water put in a tank with no bacteria colony in it will have any ammo in it?

Back
Top Bottom