when angels pair off - are u supposed to separate them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
and if you do separate them, is this permanent??

Can they ever return to the main tank with the other fish?

If you have a pair of angels that look like they are going to spawn then it might be a good idea to move them to a separate tank so that they can lay their eggs and not have them eaten by other fish. If you do this the tank should have a spawning cone or angled piece of slate for them to use as a laying surface. If you don't want to raise angelfish fry then don't move the adults to a separate tank.

Are you talking about two angels that display mating behavior, or a group of angels that two seem to have grown fond of each other?

justrelax said:
Are you talking about two angels that display mating behavior, or a group of angels that two seem to have grown fond of each other?

the latter !
a group of angels that two seem to have grown fond of each other

You'll know when you NEED to seperate them. I started with a group of four in my 55. Twice I thought I knew who was going to "hook up" and was proved wrong. Finally, one day after a pwc, one pair made it very clear they wanted the tank to themselves. There was unrelentless aggression towards the others.
If you think they're close, try a pwc and moving some stuff in the tank around to upset current territories. Other than that, just keep an eye out. Good luck!

I have to echo JR's assessment. I also had an original group of four...they grew up together, played together and never left each others side. One mysteriously left the group and the other three continued their joyful existence.

Then one day, I noticed one of them hanging my itself at the opposite end of the tank. I then watched in horror and one made a lightning quick dash across the tank as if he/she were a rocket, and speared the other one at full speed in the abdomen. Then the two of them mercilessly poked and pecked at him/her. It was then I knew a pair had formed and the other was removed to my 30 gal.

Jchillin said:
It was then I knew a pair had formed and the other was removed to my 30 gal.

this is what I mean.

When you move the other angel to the 30gallon....Is this a permanent solution?
Can that angel ever return to the main tank

The pair will need to have there own home without any other angels. You could leave them in the main and return or or re home the others. Once a pair is formed they will not tolerate other angels in their territory.

Bubbleboy said:
When you move the other angel to the 30gallon....Is this a permanent solution? Can that angel ever return to the main tank?

Not so long as there are any other Angels in any tank they would be going into.

Rich311k said:
Once a pair is formed they will not tolerate other angels in their territory.

At least in my experience, this is certainly true.

I also had to give away an angel because of aggression, but mine was a slightly more unusual scenario.

I had two females who began acting like a breeding pair. One laid eggs and the other guarded and fanned them and even appeared to make "passes" over them as though fertilizing. Both would chase away any other fish who came too close. Of course, the eggs never amounted to anything, since they were both females.

Then one day the female who had been playing the male role before laid some eggs. The other angel turned on her and bullied her into a corner so savagely that I had to give away one of them. She would have killed her.

justrelax said:
Or you could pick up a 300 gallon... That should be enough room for a couple pair :)

so i guess the lesson of the day is if you plan on getting a group of angels - have a 2nd tank ready to move the angels if breeding behaviour occurs.

It depends on your intentions really. If you want to eventually breed them, the more you get the better off your chances of a pair forming. I don't think them getting along is a sure thing even if you only get two. Maybe they won't like each other for whatever reason, what can you do?...

justrelax said:
It depends on your intentions really. If you want to eventually breed them, the more you get the better off your chances of a pair forming. I don't think them getting along is a sure thing even if you only get two. Maybe they won't like each other for whatever reason, what can you do?...

keep only a solo angel :p

anyways thanks for your help. You have all been Very helpful

Interesting...I dont want to breed angels but would like to have a few in my tank. Could this spell disaster if no second tank is available? Would they still form pairs if you get different species of angels?

Could enough plants/caves/driftwood in a 55 give them room to have their own "space"?

They are all the same species so the color doesn't matter to them. Any type will pair off with any other type. it is [possible to keep more than two in a 55 gallon. You just have to watch them when they mature, and be prewarned that you may have to remove one individual or another to maintain a happy truce.

Back
Top Bottom