when choosing fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
depends on how much I am paying for the fish, and what the fish is. WHen I was putting my school of clown loaches together, I was picky ( I only have clown loaches with "different" stripes). I have actually been picky about all of my loaches. I was also picky about all of my cichlids. Also depends on which store I am at, and who is helping me.

Like Depot I have Goldfish and have to ask for an individual fish. I have not had to deal with an attitudes about picking an individual out. I would think it's different with Goldfish as different as they are.
I have been looking at tropicals for the 35 hex after the Golds vacate and I think I will still be just as picky...it is MY money after all, why not get the best!
If there is an option, go to another lfs. If not, say something in a polite but firm manner and effect how you've been treated. One dollar should be worth as much as one hundred. I'm betting a store manager will agree.

I always just ask for the fastest one in the tank, and I always ask for the fish in the tank on the top row of tanks. :D

The one thing I do feel bad about is calling an employee away from their work to net out 30 cents worth of feeder fish. Oh well, I spend enough on the meds for the fish.

I ask for the ones I want.
Only once was I told "there are so many in here it will be really hard" (and there were...) So I just asked for some larger ones. And she did get me mostly bigger ones.
Same store a week later, same tank - much less fish.. they got me exactly the ones I asked for.

When I first started my tank I needed 6 tiger barbs and 6 cherry barbs. Those I left up to the LFS and I wish for the cherries I had selected individually. After that I was only purchasing 1 or 2 at a time (Oto's, cory's, BN pleco, dwarf gourami), and I was specific with the one I wanted.

It's nice at my LFS since the tanks are normally not very crowded, so its easier to get the one I want when there are only 10-15 in a 10 gallon tank. I look at it like buying a car/house/etc. Your in for the long haul, so I expect the pick of the litter.

I just recently purchased a dwarf gourami where there were about 15 or so in the tank (10 gallon). I was asked 3 times by 2 different employees if I could be helped. I politely said I will be getting one of these I just haven't decided which one yet. They left me be, and I was able to identify the alpha male of the group (all males) whom was the most aggressive and healthy IMO. I am hoping that when introduced into my main tank (2-3week QT until I'm sure he's healthy) due to his semi-aggressiveness and good health that he can take care of himself with my tigers.

only at WalMart :twisted:

Seriously - For FW tetras etc. if they all look good, I usually just ask for large ones or small ones, depending on what I already have.

For every marine specimen I've ever bought, I point to individuals (usually only 1-5/tank anyway).

OK i currently work at a fish shop...here is my take on it.

You should be able to get any fish you want, with limitation.
With tetras/danios etc i dont mind if customers prefer larger/smaller...but usually when i have to be picky they end up rocketing onto the floor. Its easiest to grab the amount they want in one scoop keeping them all in tank thus minimizing jumpers.

With larger fish, like cichlids (even fast africans) i do not mind picking them out. Even if it involves removing rocks and other decor from the tank.

I also usually have no problem picking out a fish that a customer sees in a tank of 500 feeders.

Its your money you should get what you want...i dont have sympathy for lazy LFS workers.

Back
Top Bottom