Which Cories do I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsx

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I bought two Cories a couple weeks ago, and I haven't been able to find any information on which species of Cory they are. Directly Translated, the name at the LFS was "Flower" Cory. I doubt they are some rare species, as they were only about US$0.30 each.

Can anyone give a positive ID? Sorry, my fish picture taking skills aren't that good yet, so it's kind of blurry.

CIMG0052-640.jpg

It's not the Peppered Cory, because the Peppered Cory has coloration on the fins and tail, as opposed to the clear fins and tails in my picture.

I checked PlanetCatfish already, and the closest thing I found was:

Corydoras ehrhardti

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/callicht/corydora/475_f.php

but mine seem to have more spots, and the Ehrhardti has no common name which leads me to believe it's a more rare species.

The Corydoras ehrhardti spots are more compact.
You may have a hybrid. Can you manually focus your camera?

Oops, I hit "report" instead of "reply" by mistake. Hopefully bad things won't happen. Sorry! :oops: :?

Anyway, I'll try to take some better pictures later.

Oops, I hit "report" instead of "reply" by mistake. Hopefully bad things won't happen. Sorry!

THIS SITE WILL SELF DESTRUCT IN T MINUS 15 SECONDS

sorry... just kidding :wink:

Mystery solved.

I went back to the LFS where I got them, and they didn't have the clear finned variety anymore, but what they did have was the Peppered Cory, Corydoras Paleatus. So, I brought 2 more home to compare to what I have, and lo and behold, on my original 2 Cories, the tail and fin markings were very faint, but they are there. The 2 new ones have darker and more defined tail and fin markings.

So, I now have 4 Peppered Cories. :)

yeah ive never heard of the other wierd named cory 8O and ive never seen it either. but the peppered cory is one of the common ones. like melanus, julli, sterbai, and some others.

When I seen the pic I thought they look just like mine. They were called 'spotted' cories. So what is the difference between a 'peppered' and a 'spotted' cory?

jaowl said:
When I seen the pic I thought they look just like mine. They were called 'spotted' cories. So what is the difference between a 'peppered' and a 'spotted' cory?

The Spotted Cory has a different spot pattern than the Peppered Cory.

Also keep in mind, LFS do mislabel their fish from time to time.

Glad your mystery is solved, nsx! I have 8 of the peppered cories in my 50 gal--too cute!

Back
Top Bottom