Which dwarf cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking to add some peaceful-ish cichlids to my 75 gallon community and was looking to add some dwarf cichlids to round things out... Tank is heavily planted in back half with about a dozen various caves/driftwood/hideyholes, lots of broken lines of sight and distinct territories. I overfilter and change 50% of the water weekly. Nitrates never get above 15 even if I miss a week.

Existing stock (have been together for 6+ months without issues):
5 Gourami (1 lavender, 1 opaline, 2 blue, 1 pearl - all mild females)
5 adult guppies, 1 juvie, plus a mess of fry (my gourami are failing at keeping their survival rate low, so they'll be going to my LFS as they grow up)
8 Threadfin Rainbows
8 Cherry Barbs
12 Dwarf Chain Loaches
7 Otos (4 commons, 3 Zebra)
1 Red Tail Black Shark (female, full grown, has lived with GBRs before left them alone)

Option 1:
1 Angel
1 pair GBRs
1 pair Kribs

Option 2:
1 pair GBRs
1 pair Kribs
2-4 Dicrossus Maculatus

In either option, I'd add all at the same time to avoid anyone infringing on territories. Obviously if I went with option 1 I would get a baby angel to start since I know they can be territorial towards guppies and possibly my Threadfins... I'm leaning toward option 1 since I'd like an upper level centerpiece fish that would help pick off my guppy fry, plus the Dicrossus are proving near impossible to get even via special order through my LFS (Wet Spot). Would the angel work? Or should I stick to my second option?

I would go with option 1 myself, but I like those more.

As far as territory and such, is it possible to rearrange some of the driftwood or scape? If not, I don't think there'll be much of an issue adding them in but a little rearranging could disrupt territory's enough that they could be added very easily

Just take into consideration that the angels will get large enough to eat the guppies. I bought a pair of angels in early January, they had a body (not including fins) the size of a nickel. Today, not even 4 months later their bodies are larger than a fifty cent piece. With my set up and tank mates, I'm okay with their growth rate, but I had no idea they grew so fast.

Just take into consideration that the angels will get large enough to eat the guppies. I bought a pair of angels in early January, they had a body (not including fins) the size of a nickel. Today, not even 4 months later their bodies are larger than a fifty cent piece. With my set up and tank mates, I'm okay with their growth rate, but I had no idea they grew so fast.

That's the main reason why I'm hesitating on option 1... My adult guppies should be fine from any angelfish, as they're much too large even for an adult angelfish to eat, but I don't know if the angel might just outright kill them. From what I'm reading they should be fine when raised together though... I DO want the angel to eat some of the fry though!

I would go with option 1 myself, but I like those more.

As far as territory and such, is it possible to rearrange some of the driftwood or scape? If not, I don't think there'll be much of an issue adding them in but a little rearranging could disrupt territory's enough that they could be added very easily

I don't have any of the cichlids atm, so there shouldn't be territory issues as long as I add them all at the same time. I can rescape if needed, but the only territorial one in the tank atm is the RTBS, who's always been a pushover with my previous Rams. Alas, I have had bad genetic luck with Rams so far, hence my lack of cichlids right now and why I don't want all Ram pairs :(

I would go with option one minus the angelfish. Dicrossus cichlids can be delicate and pelvicachromis are prolific breeders that will attack existing tank mates.

Back
Top Bottom