Why do I have to cycle my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wanted to make some clarifications here.
number 1 because Ammonia physically burns the fish at any level hence red gills red blemishes on fish
No, not any level. There are safe levels of ammonia and attempting to get a cycling tank to read perfectly 0 is not only impossible but will have someone needlessly doing massive constant water changes. Many people believe this about ammonia toxicity and I believe it gives a misguided idea of the work behind fish-in cycling due to a misunderstanding at the core level.

Well back in the day 10+ years ago when i first got into fish keeping i didn't know better and never cycled my tank. I guess the water was good because i had fish for along time with no problems not even need to add chemicals. I guess i got lucky back than, but know that i know its a must.

That's the thing, you did cycle the tank. Every operating tank with some sort of ammonia source is cycled/cycling. Being 'cycled' is just a term to indicate that nitrifying bacteria colonies have become sufficient enough to efficiently process the waste created by the inhabitants of the system. These colonies are dynamic, both increasing and decreasing based primarily on food availability among other factors. The more established the tank is, the better foothold they have, and the quicker they can adapt to changes like increased bioload.

The difference between modern cycling methods and old school is that now aquarists concern themselves with the well being of the fish during the cycling process. Some opt to go fishless and take fish out of the equation completely during this start-up phase. Others choose to do fish-in, which can be done just as safely and easily, assuming they take certain measures to help maintain a safe environment for the fish.

Last edited:
FashionD your tank is cycled and adding quick start is a waste of time and money. As well, if your showing 0 nitrates, unless your tank is very heavily planted, there is something wrong with your testing regimen or test kit.

I have a few live plants in my tank, and a piece of driftwood. 29 gallon tank. Nitrates at 0 after numerous tests over the year.

Im pretty sure quick start does not remove chlorine from the water, therefor you will be giving your fish a chemical bath at every water change and killing any helpful effects quick start would be capable off as well as neutralising your test results and any cycle your tank would have. Quick start is meant to be used along with a water treatment like API tap water conditioner, you would be better of buying this and doing a fish in cycle than quick start which is rendered useless every time you use it.

Im pretty sure quick start does not remove chlorine from the water, therefor you will be giving your fish a chemical bath at every water change and killing any helpful effects quick start would be capable off as well as neutralising your test results and any cycle your tank would have. Quick start is meant to be used along with a water treatment like API tap water conditioner, you would be better of buying this and doing a fish in cycle than quick start which is rendered useless every time you use it.

I use a de-chlorinator with every water change as well.

I have a few live plants in my tank, and a piece of driftwood. 29 gallon tank. Nitrates at 0 after numerous tests over the year.

There has to be nitrate present, if you have fish in the tank and only a few plants. Partial water changes will lower nitrate numbers but not to 0.

"Fish don't like chemicals" was the way it was explained to me at a Petsmart. She suggested accomplishing whatever I can without adding chemicals, not to start with the chemicals first.

Next water change don't use the QS, then test. you'll find that unless you wash your filters every week, your tank cycled about a year and 4 months ago.....

Your nitrates cannot be at 0 with only a few plants. It would need to be heavily heavily planted. This is why I am asking if you tested correctly. Everyone your fish pee or poo nitrate is being created! Your fish must not have bowel movements or something. Or your testing wrong. Are you sure you are shaking the heck out of the bottle, like smash it off the table shaking. You really need to break up the crystals inside that bottle to get a proper reading. You can not, not cycle a tank. Like mentioned nice it's not an option. If you monitor it or not is a different story. Any bit of ammonia will start the cycle. If you do a water change each day your tank will still cycle. Remember the bb is not in the water it lives on hard surfaces where lots of nitrogen is present which is why we have filters. so water changes do nothing to the bb unless your don't dechlorinate the water then all your bb will die and you have to start all over again.
If you have any source of ammonia your tank is cycled or cycling. The amount of ammonia present determines the length of cycle IMO. Just from fish in and fish less cycles...

I don't want to sound patronizing because I'm asking as its a mistake I've made myself. Your not getting nitrItes (which should be zero) mixed up with nitrAtes are you?

Back
Top Bottom