why people think they can have goldfish in a 2 gallon tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people think that? Easy. Sales. It's all about numbers. To stay in business an LFS needs to make money. We all know this. So if mom and dad Smith bring in little Suzy and look to get a fish for her is the LFS more likely to push proper education informing them that a goldfish really needs a 55+g with porper filtration, substrate, decor, maintenance tools, and food when they are looking to spend $10-$20? No. They're gonna sell a 1-3g "kit" and a goldfish and food and send them on their way providing "good customer service". Then, in a month when they come back guess what? No proper education. Selling another goldfish is nice though b/c they get to hear the cash register make that cool *cha-ching* sound.

I saw this with a couple recently and offered assistance when they saw me talking with the employee about proper stocking (only after they asked). They didn't listen even though I told them I just bought a 40g breeder for $25 right down the street. Walked out with a 2g kit, a small can of flake food, and 2 goldies. The employs overheard my wife and I talking with them and promptly offered "assistance" to help them get what they "needed". You can imagine where that got them.

Poor Suzy. Gonna lose 2 fish soon and is none the wiser as to why.

:(

Unfortunately, laws protecting animals in the US are not very strong. They generally only protect cute/fuzzy animals, or animals valuable for food. There are no laws setting acceptable minimum standards to keep fish.

if that is the case, than there will be hardly any fish stores around selling fish, options will be very limited... just imagine every store accommodating every fishes needs? do you expect 10-20 300g tanks to house multiple goldfish, oscars, arowanas and other fishes that grows past a feet? thats not logical at all, its a business and they need a way to house everything and make profit... we dont like it because we are take care of those fishes, but they are business men and woman, dont expect them to do the same

If they would make those stickers under the tanks bigger, and let people KNOW that the fish will get wayyyy too big for their tank, I think things would be a little different. And make the employees read the little signs, so they can tell people that the fish they are choosing will get huge. Also a sign that says, "Please educate yourself on the aquarium nitrogen cycle so you are able to provide your fish a happy life." I doubt people go in there and buy fish just to watch them die, they just don't know, so some sort of sign would be helpful.

remember they are doing what they are told so they think they are doing what is correct but it isnt, how can you get mad at someone doing the best the know?

heres another advertisement hoax:

Walmart.com: Mini Bow 5-Gallon Aquarium Kit: Fish

so 50 guppies can fit in a 5 gallon? lol

Look at the way Wal*Mart stocks fish. Any unknowing customer would assume they don't have ENOUGH fish in that 5 gallon otherwise.

if that is the case, than there will be hardly any fish stores around selling fish, options will be very limited... just imagine every store accommodating every fishes needs? do you expect 10-20 300g tanks to house multiple goldfish, oscars, arowanas and other fishes that grows past a feet? thats not logical at all, its a business and they need a way to house everything and make profit... we dont like it because we are take care of those fishes, but they are business men and woman, dont expect them to do the same

Also, this.

Its really sad
My friend has a goldfish that is around 7cm in a 5 lirte tank (Im Australian i sdont know gallons sorry)
I tried to tell them but i didjnt want to be rude
It's so hard to do something rght when you know they are going to die =(

I agree it's not the answer, it's not like there going to go door to door inspecting backgrounds and arresting people for it. But I still believe something as simple as a non-transparent background can give fish extra comfort, I didn't post this though I think somebody asked it and I did some research about it.
i asked about it a couple times i havent seen any backing yet. the background is for the fish keeper not the fish. i kept fish for years 1st time i ever heard this.

Why do people think that? Easy. Sales. It's all about numbers. To stay in business an LFS needs to make money. We all know this. So if mom and dad Smith bring in little Suzy and look to get a fish for her is the LFS more likely to push proper education informing them that a goldfish really needs a 55+g with porper filtration, substrate, decor, maintenance tools, and food when they are looking to spend $10-$20? No. They're gonna sell a 1-3g "kit" and a goldfish and food and send them on their way providing "good customer service". Then, in a month when they come back guess what? No proper education. Selling another goldfish is nice though b/c they get to hear the cash register make that cool *cha-ching* sound.

I saw this with a couple recently and offered assistance when they saw me talking with the employee about proper stocking (only after they asked). They didn't listen even though I told them I just bought a 40g breeder for $25 right down the street. Walked out with a 2g kit, a small can of flake food, and 2 goldies. The employs overheard my wife and I talking with them and promptly offered "assistance" to help them get what they "needed". You can imagine where that got them.

Poor Suzy. Gonna lose 2 fish soon and is none the wiser as to why.

it is a business and i think most people fail to see that. most of the shops around here the people got into the business not because they enjoy fish but to support their family. many just dont care its about the bottom line. right or wrong thats jut the way it is. the people on this site is a minority. most people have no clue nor care how the tank works. i have a friend with a shop she does whats best for the fish and she struggles to pay the bills. yes should could make the sell but she wont. they leave the shop go down a couple miles to the next store where they just say yes.

well there is a difference between housing fish for their life vs short term holding. also most stores have juvy which dont need as much space as a full grown fish.
If they would make those stickers under the tanks bigger, and let people KNOW that the fish will get wayyyy too big for their tank, I think things would be a little different. And make the employees read the little signs, so they can tell people that the fish they are choosing will get huge. Also a sign that says, "Please educate yourself on the aquarium nitrogen cycle so you are able to provide your fish a happy life." I doubt people go in there and buy fish just to watch them die, they just don't know, so some sort of sign would hel helpful.
they should have some basic profiles but again look how many profiles out there are just wrong. even on sites like liveaquaria. its a good start though. i know pitching ideas here wont really help. as for the nitrogen cycle most people in the tanks have no clue what it is or how it works. they do want to sell you something to fix it though.

remember they are doing what they are told so they think they are doing what is correct but it isnt, how can you get mad at someone doing the best the know?
100% true too.... i cant tell you how many people even on forums asking for help but never listen anyways. i kept a fish for 2 years 10 years ago i dont agree with you.... mind you life span 5-6+.... most people are not like this lucky but they are there. though there are a ton of people in the world like that. i go back to the example of my friend. she kept fish for years breed some of the harder fish around a expert in her field and pretty well known. even so she still has people who come in and tell her she is wrong in everything.

not everything is doom and gloom though. we can sit here and blame them bash them make fun of them but all that does is makes us feel better. what does it solve? ill say it again education is the key. its our job as informed hobbyist to help fix it. talk to the employees the managers in a respectable way. find ways to help make they money and help the fish in the same time. write letters to the big companies who makes this products and explain whats wrong with their products.

Every time I'm in Pets at Home (UK equiv of Petsmart) I see parents buying 'kiddies' tanks which are brightly coloured, plastic and usually no more than 15 litres (4 US gallons). Now there's nothing wrong with a 4 gallon tank as long as you're sensible with your stocking. But you just know that they are going to put 2 goldfish in there.

I know, I was just trying to say they do have some fish laws. It's not the most important thing but it isnt insane, being exposed through all sides of the tank is stressful and adding a background gives them more comfort. I agree there not going to go knocking on your door inspecting your background and arresting you for it.

Is having a background that serious? I figured it was superficial. My fish are up against a wall so never get bothered on the back.

It's not extremely important, it just gives them more comfort. I guess being up against a wall is the same as a background so it really wouldnt matter.
Is having a background that serious? I figured it was superficial. My fish are up against a wall so never get bothered on the back.

My best friend's little sister is keeping 2 really small goldies in a 2 gallon, and they don't have a lot of $$ so I keep on trying to politely tell them they should get a bigger tank @-@ She plans on buying her sister a cheap walmart 10 gallon, which is a start at least. I managed to keep 5 of then in a 10 gallon for several months before I finally moved them to a 55! :0

Sadly goldfish are a lot more work then they seem :/ You gotta wonder why they get sold so fast in Petcos, more people get them for the novelty without really knowing what they're getting into, that's exactly why I started getting fish actually xD

it is.... its about making the tank look good for you.... one stupid country passes a stupid law and the next thing you know it becomes true.

Yet I find it fascinating, bordering on hysterical that whenever I go into one of the big chains and get a bunch of fish they still try to quote that "inch per gallon" mantra of theirs.

(conversation goes like this. We just purchased 55 neon tetras)

them: What size tank are you putting them in?

us: A 55g to qt then into a 115g tank.

them: You know it should be an inch of fish per gallon right?

me: So by that rule I can get that 10inch albino oscar and put him in one of my 10g tanks right?

them: (blustering) Well no, that's not how it's meant.

me: Really? Please explain to me how 55 barely 1 inch fish can't live a long and healthy life in a 55g tank?

them: It's more about the amount of waste they produce.

me: (my fiance just stands there smirking) So you think that 55 little neons put out more waste than an oscar does? Have you ever seen an oscar poop? (used another word but this is a family site)

them: Maybe I should get my manager since you're being difficult and not listening to my advice.

me: Yes, perhaps you should get him so I can also let him know about you just selling that 2g fish bowl, common pleco and 5 small oranda goldfish to the same family after they just asked you if they could all fit in that bowl together.

them: I think I'll just get someone else to help you.

me: I think you better. You obviously are under paid for your vast knowledge of fish keeping.

When Nate brought home my Wallie he was in this tiny little bowel, not even a gallon that had a lcd light, like a book light, on it. It was labeled a Betta Tank!
The guy at Petsmart told him that it was perfect for a Betta since they can not have a current in the tank and don't need a heater!
I almost cry when I think of how many Bettas live their whole lives in these little dishes.

When Nate brought home my Wallie he was in this tiny little bowel, not even a gallon that had a lcd light, like a book light, on it. It was labeled a Betta Tank!
The guy at Petsmart told him that it was perfect for a Betta since they can not have a current in the tank and don't need a heater!
I almost cry when I think of how many Bettas live their whole lives in these little dishes.

Well some shops have Betas in these yogurt cup type things, until you buy them. They look so sad...

I know that is sad. At least the fish are only supposed to be in those cups for a short time and it is the best way for a store to stock them.
It is more that they sell all the tiny bowls, (not bowEls, oops, LOL) as Betta Homes, it is the same with the gold fish. People buy them trusting the pet store has the best interest for the fish.
I think that the stores should be more responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom