why people think they can have goldfish in a 2 gallon tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
***chuckle*** I see the sentiment, but I would have to own a city lot for my fish cemetary. /QUOTE]
Oh my. That's.... not a chuckling mannor- IMO. Why do you have so many dead fish?

Sorry if it came across wrong, not trying to be morbid or mean.

18 years of keeping tropicals and cichlids in a high school . . . in addition to the fact that fish die because they reach the end of their life span or because they got bullied or beat up, I've had entire tanks killed off by students dumping something in them or bad heaters or any number of other reasons too numerous to remember or mention. My first year, a broken heater and warm temperatures killed an entire tank of breeding swordtails; a few years later some student dumped ammonia into a tank full of cichlids - just to see what would happen . . . and the list goes on.

When you have one tank with four or five fish, it may be easy to keep track of every single one and monitor their health on an individual basis (and feel bad every time one passes away). When you have as many tanks and fish as I do, and have done it for as many years as I have, it simply isn't possible.

Reading that post, I just got an image of row after row of popsicle sticks lined up, and it was kind of sad but humerous at the same time.

Ah, I see.
Though I do not find it [the death of fish] humorous, I understand now why you have so many dead fish. I wince at the thought of all those poor, innocent fish being killed by unknowing students. Perhaps in the future you should educate them further.
I have lots of fish, not just a tank of five and I bury each one, and cry every time. I mean, I love animals and dead ones do not appeal to me.

All in all, I clearly understand why you would have so many dead fish to bury, yet I find it really sad to think of all those fish who have been killed.

But, again that's just my opinion on things.

Ah, I see.
Though I do not find it [the death of fish] humorous, I understand now why you have so many dead fish. I wince at the thought of all those poor, innocent fish being killed by unknowing students. Perhaps in the future you should educate them further.
I have lots of fish, not just a tank of five and I bury each one, and cry every time. I mean, I love animals and dead ones do not appeal to me.

All in all, I clearly understand why you would have so many dead fish to bury, yet I find it really sad to think of all those fish who have been killed.

But, again that's just my opinion on things.

I do educate them further, but it is dependent on the class they are in. Those who take my aquatic class, actually take care of the tanks - those who are in the bio. class usually enjoy them and learn from them, but every once in awhile you get one who just doesn't get it - or they just don't want to get it - much as we might like them to, not every child is interested in and loves animals.

Just out of curiosity, (if you don't mind me asking) how many is lots?

I am an animal lover also, but that "City Cemetery" comment actually made me laugh out loud. ;) I have buried alot of fish too, but not because of my neglect, but because they came in with diseases.

Well, I will say that hopefully I don't come across as an animal hater, which I'm not. Nor do I feel that I neglect my fish - most of my fish have wonderful tank set-ups and many are happy enough that they breed regularly as well.

That said, I also would not claim to be an animal lover. As both a Wyomingite and a biology teacher, I have a little different attitude about it. I respect animals, and I believe that if you take one in, you have assumed a responsibility to care for and be responsible for that animal. I also however realize that they are animals, and that many animals, such as fish and reptiles are incapable of feeling or returning love as we know it. I also recognize that animals have a purpose to fulfill; some are predators and others are pray. That isn't IMHO mean or cold, thats just the way it is. I don't for example lose any sleep over dropping a dozen feeder goldfish into my native tank and watching my black bullhead or small mouth bass streak up and start eating them left and right. On the other hand, I never have nor will I ever feed feeders to my cichlids.

That said, I will also say that I have taken in rescue fish and done my best to try and provide a good home for them. Last year I transported a Hippo tang (Dori fish), that was a rescue with hole-in-the-head disease over 400 miles to deliver it to an aquarium that could provide the proper care and nurishment it needed to get better. I currently have a pearl guaromi that is dinner plate size that was a rescue - it resides with a slightly smaller paco and a 10" pleco.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not an animal hater, nor I'm I cold and hateful . . . nuff said.

I could have sworn we already covered that in your personal thread.

I was merely attempting to change the focus in this specific thread, no matter what it was about...

I'm unsubscribing from this thread with that said, as I think my point's been made about keeping goldfish in a bowl or other such contrapment.

And I diagree that there are certain animals that are incapable of returning "love as we know it" -- I even see this with my fancytails in their own unique way.

Now, if you're talking about dogs and cats, that's just completely inaccurate -- they are more than capable of returning the kind of love we have for them.

I was merely attempting to change the focus in this specific thread, no matter what it was about...

I'm unsubscribing from this thread with that said, as I think my point's been made about keeping goldfish in a bowl or other such contrapment.

And I diagree that there are certain animals that are incapable of returning "love as we know it" -- I even see this with my fancytails in their own unique way.

Now, if you're talking about dogs and cats, that's just completely inaccurate -- they are more than capable of returning the kind of love we have for them.

I apologize if I've offended in any way, certainly was not my intent - simply stating my opinion.

You are free to disagree, I understand that many people feel that their pets love them in return.

As for cats and dogs, I specifically stated "reptiles and fish", not cats and dogs, both of which are mammals.

thats me whenever i see one at a doctors, hospitals, hair salon, etc, i worry the whole time if they are getting proper care, lol
:lol:
I can see the idea of a fish tank in a therapist's office as fish are supposed to be relaxing. But you just spend the whole time thinking "How big is that tank", "I'm not sure that filter is going to be sufficient", "Is he doing proper water changes". And you come out being more stressed than when you went in :D

We've been discussing the unfortunate occasions of people purchasing pets who are ill-equipped to take care of them for lack of education, care or whatever. It occurred to me today that many of these pet stores and manufacturers encourage these types of purchases not just of fish. The "tennis" balls sold at Petco/Petsmart are actually dangerous to dogs. They break very easily causing a choking hazard. Instead, I get real tennis balls (which are less expensive anyway) and they last forever.
What I really don't understand is, why?

The bottom line is, Jason, that it's simply a proven myth at this point that keeping goldfish in a bowl with no aeration, filtration or other support system that full aquariums have is simply wrong to do, and cruel to the life form -- while sure, some goldies have survived in such conditions for awhile, it's really far from the best thing that should be done to keep these fish in a serious hobby-esque manner. I understand that there exists some kids out there who have had some success keeping goldfish in bowls and two-gallon tanks and so forth, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do -- when I spoke about a "myth," what I meant was that for decades (perhaps even centuries) it was believed that these fish can simply be dropped into a tiny bowl like housing to live the rest of their natural lives as such, and that's why they've morphed into being the kinds of "pets" that are given away at fairs and carnivals, and why you see so many childrens' bedsides with goldfish bowls...the truth is, it's a myth because they're not supposed to be kept this way.
I know that all of the above is true!
But what i am trying to say is that kids who dont know any of this stuff ^
take care of the fish that they are but sure its not ideal for any fish to live like that

lol I'm sorry but the only thing I saw was that someone actually cries when their fish dies as they bury each one.
Listen, I know that all of God's creation is beautiful and each one is precious, but they are just fish. We have to remember that not just fish, but insects, reptiles, etc...even humans...die every day. It's unfortunate, but it's part of life. Fish are not very advanced creatures. They dont feel emotions that we know of. They arent going to bring world peace. They are here and were created for our enjoyment as beautiful creatures.

oh my gosh, sarah..
ouch. I love animals and so therefore I completely disagree.

Mods:perhaps this thread has run its course.....

Proper care and good advice of fish has changed into opinion, points of view and speculation..... and it seems to be getting personal or the potential to anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom