will this keep my baby ghost shrimp safe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knightnurse14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am wanting to have a Ghost shrimp safe aquarium. It is a 29 gallon tank with an Aqueon quiet flow 30 hang on tank filter rated at 200 gph max. I know the free floating babies would be pulled into the intake stem so I covered the stem with two garni bags which are pretty fine meshed, then wrapped it heavily with the rite sized bonded filter pad to greatly increase the surface area pulling water. Does this look shrimp safe? I checked the flow visually and estimate that I cut the flow 50% which would still have it turning the tank over three times an hour. I really like that this gives me a lot more area to grow beneficial bacteria.
Thanks in advance for comments/input. I really like these little guys and want them to do well.

Attachments

• IMG_4986.jpg
    IMG_4986.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4988.jpg
    IMG_4988.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_4989.jpg
    IMG_4989.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 152
Not a bad idea. I made a sponge filter system but I might have to use ur idea :) im trying tk breed ghost shrimp too. so. good luck

Thanks! The garni bags are 100% cotton and food safe in boiling water so I gave them a quick rinse before tieing them around the stem and I was ready to wrap the Filter pad. Not pretty but I think it's going to work really well! I looked at making a sponge filter but this seemed so much easier and I already had the materials. The garni bags are dirt cheap and by varying the number you tie around the stem you can customize the flow to an even lower rate if needed, or chuck the bags and just wrap the stem with bonded filter pad if you wan the higher flow.

That will keep babies out of the intake. Not all "ghost" shrimp breed / survive to shrimplet in fully FW. FYI

I got some laying around so ima take ur idea if u don't mine :) I went to petco and they sell these net breeder that I'm using for my baby shrimp. It's a small mesh box so they just stay in one area

Ya I read up on them a bit last night. I have about 24 of them. Breeding them for my fish :) yummy food lol

By all means. I'm a big believer is sharing. I'll let you know how this seems to work long term. Happy fishkeeping to all.

here's an interesting article. Might help with keeping the babies. I think Paleomonetes paludosus is the most common ghost shrimp in the US and does breed in FW.

--Adeeb

Thanks Adeeb. I think it's an interesting article too. I had it bookmarked from an earlier search. Isn't that funny! Thank you so much. I added a mess of Java Moss today and it look great. Can tell the shrimp are liking it too! Should make a big difference in the survival chances of the fry.

Just a little update. The Garni bag disintegrated and was slowing the flow way too much. Pulled it out and this is working really well. I have at least two berried females and am looking to have little ones soon!

Just an update on my shrimp setup. The tank is covered up now with little ghost shrimp. I think it is because of the large hung of Java Moss I put in it a while back. Oh and the Garni bag I wrapped around my hang on tank intake was a bad idea. It dissolved in just a week slowing filtration to almost nothing. The bonded filter padding seems to do the job of keeping eggs out of the filter just fine. Now I am wondering what to do with all the little ghosties I'm growing. May use some as feeders for the community tank.

Back
Top Bottom