will this moor survive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
he lays on the bottom like this about 80% of the time

ForumRunner_20120101_012358.jpg

and his eye is cloudy (noticed 5 days ago)

ForumRunner_20120101_012549.jpg

ForumRunner_20120101_012526.jpg

what can I do????

29g tank with 2 fancies .. aqua clear 70 and another HOB filter for a 30g tank. last water change 3 days ago.... 90% change due to moving tank

Sorry about your fish. I don't know anything about goldfish so hopefully someone else can answer. My first thought is his diet: what do you feed him?

Hi! What are your tank parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate)? What do you feed him (brand food/floating or sinking)? Moors & their eyes are very sensitive to their water conditions. Some more information will help us to help you better!

Are you able to test your water for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate?

If not you say you just moved? How did you go about moving the tank? Did you keep your filter media wet in tank water?

i had to move the tank to the other side of the room it was in. i had to drain about 90% of the water. I kept all the filter media in a bucket of tank water. the aqua clear filter was only added 5 days ago. i still have the old filter on the tank as well. my process was to remove the 2 fancies and 1 mystery snail, drained water, moved tank and stand, filled 1/2 with water, replanted plants put in filters and bubble wall, filled the tank the rest of the way, added prime, added fish

I feed the black moor and the calico telescope: Wardley goldfish flake food

i ran my parameters 3x

PH: 8,8,8.2
AMM: .25-.5, .25, .5
Ites: 0,0,0
Ates: 10-20, 5-10, 10-20

rreekers said:
my process was to remove the 2 fancies and 1 mystery snail, drained water, moved tank and stand, filled 1/2 with water, replanted plants put in filters and bubble wall, filled the tank the rest of the way, added prime, added fish

Make sure you add Prime then tap water. If that is really why you did you may have killed off a lot of BB. Also add the full tanks dose not just what you are replacing.

Odd you have ammonia? How long was the tank running before you moved it?

Never hurts to do a pwc. Make sure you add the full tanks dose of prime to the tank before you fill with water.

Also on another topic you may want to rethink your goldfishes diet.

I always have ammonia. :/ thank has been going for 5 months or so.
. and had a mini cycle 2 months ago due to changing out media and over cleaning, I knew that was totally my fault.

what is a good gold fish food and how much and how often should I be feeding them

+1
Add the prime before refilling & make sure your new water is temperature matched to your tank water. I would really consider doing some more pwcs to lower your ammonia levels- .5 is high enough to burn your moors eyes & cause the cloudiness you see. I would also try to keep your nitrates as low as possible. Lots of healthy water should help improve this. Flakes are not the best choice for goldfish. You should consider switching to a quality sinking goldfish pellet (hikari, nls) & adding fresh, cooked veggies daily (broccoli florets, spinach, zucchini, deshelled peas, etc). If an improvement in water quality & diet does not seem to help him or he continues to get worse, please let us know! Good luck!

The ammonia will be doing it. Make sure you keep on top of it with frequent PWC. Think about switching their diet to a high quantity sinking pellet and adding some greens to their diet.

its weird today they have both been SUPER active all day... playing in the bubbles :cute:

its weird, I did nothing to the tank. they just have active days and inactive days

I am a big believer in big pwcs even in a cycled tank. I would consider doing 50% a day until your tank stablizes to keep your ammonia under control & keep their water as healthy as possible. Keep us posted!

Goldfish are coldwater fish & a heater isnt absolutely necessary unless there are temp issues/fluctuations. Ideally, i would keep them @70 but a little cooler or higher wont hurt as long as its stable.

yeah its a fluctuation issue:/ .. thanks for the advice!

still curious, what is a good feeding schedule? amount and frequency?

rreekers said:
yeah its a fluctuation issue:/ .. thanks for the advice!

still curious, what is a good feeding schedule? amount and frequency?

Goldfish don't have stomachs so smaller more frequent meals are better than one large one. Also the higher the temperature the tank is the more active they are and the more nutrients they will absorb. Also age is a dependency as well. But to keep it simple;

Just do twice daily an only give them what they can finish in two minutes.

I feed a homemade gel food.

I make sure my largest fish gets a mouthful so the smaller ones can get some food. Then I put two blanched spinach leaves on veggies clips. That's the morning.

At night I just give them the gel food. Twice a week I give peas and once a week I give bloodworms.

Good luck those Moore are beautiful hopefully you'll invest in a bigger tank so it'll be happy although he is fine now don't get me wrong.

Here are some pics of a foot long Moore at my lfs

Get them some quality food to start with (hikari, pro-gold, nls). Because goldfish do not have 'true' stomachs in the sense that we do, its best to give them more frequent, small meals to prevent bloating & constipation issues. An average would 3-4x day. If this is not possible, then atleast 2x day. Feed daily cooked green veggies as well-broccoli is an easy one. Just throw 2 florets in tank in am, remove & replace after 24hrs or sooner if they are devoured. I also feed some fruits (such as seedless watermelon & tangerine segments) as well. Approach feeding their new foods gradually-it may take them a bit to figure the new stuff to eat! Keep us posted on your moors condition! :)

Yeah should have mentioned that +1. Get them some good sinking pellets. Omega One isn't bad Hikara is better NLS is the best.

Back
Top Bottom