yoyo loaches and harlequin rasboras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm still trying to figure out what to stock in the 2 20G Long tanks I'll be setting up. One will definitely be a female betta tank (assuming I can find females !). I'm thinking of yoyo loaches and harlequin rasboras for the other. How many of each would work ? And what type of decor / planting would work best ?

I did have a pair of yoyo's in my 20gal but they were both shy and i was overall quite dissapointed with their lack of activity. When i first released them into the tank they didn't know the meaning of the word shy and were swimming up the corner's of the tank for hours. I was looking forward to an entertaining time with them.

However they soon became shy and would hide for large parts of the day.
After some time with the tank i got the opportunity to completely re-design it, more plants, sand substrate and more driftwod. I think this made them feel more secure and when i added a third they were and are back to their old selves. They chase each other in size order and are more often then not zipping around the bottom of the tank.

They do say that a 30gal is the minimum requirement for them but i am sure that mine are doing fine and are enjoying themselves. There are plenty of hiding spots and caves for them so if you provide them with plenty then i'd think they will be fine. I'd say 3 as a minimum though, i was hesitant to add a third but i think it was the right decision as they look like they feel safe and secure. If they do feel like that then i think they flourish.

HTH

I think Yoyo loaches deserve a 3-4 foot tank. 4 foot is best. They are very active. I have 4 in my 55g tank and they swim all over it. They dart from one end to the other chasing each other. They tend to hide sometimes, but they are definitely entertaining fish. I know a 20 long is 30 inches, almost 3 feet, but I really think they deserve a tank larger than that.

If you can find them, Dwarf Chain Loaches stay smaller than Yoyos and would be a better fit in a 20g tank. Yoyos get a good 4-5 inches. My biggest one is right at 5 inches (counting tail). That is a big fish for a 20g IMO.

If all you are going to have in the tank is loaches and the rasboras then I'd go with a school of 8-10 harlies and 4-5 loaches (dwarf chain would be best). Then you could add some otos if you wanted for algae control.

My loaches are in a heavily planted tank, so live plants will work. A sand substrate would be great for them as they like to just sit on the substrate sometimes and mine have dug a little trench under my driftwood.

I have to say I agree with Kristin. I started out with 2 yo yos for my 20H, but with the intention of moving them once they took care of the snails. Once they took care of the snails, I moved them into a 30 long and added a third loach, and they became much more active and interesting in a trio. IMO you should keep at least 3, but as Kristin points out that is a lot of fish for a 20 gallon, and they are very active swimmers. Mine are still in a 3 foot tank, but recently got upgraded to a 45 gallon and they seem to like the extra height.

loach

Joannde, Kristen's advice on the dwarf chain loach, aka Botia sidthimunki, aka (and I did not make this up!) Sid the Monkey is excellent! One of my lfs stores carries these guys and they are a riot to watch! Should stay under 2.5 inches, like to use the middle of the tank to cavort, are quite active during the day and are cute, too! Now if I can just convince my g/f they are a better fit for our standard 30 gal than the zebra loaches she is lusting after. Why do women always want fish that a. won't fit the tank all that well and b. we have never even seen!!!!!!! lol

Here are a couple links to some info on these little guys.
http://www.aquafriend.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=78

http://www.aquafriend.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=78

Thanks ! I've never seen dwarf chain loaches but that link really summed them up and they'd be great - I agree ! I'll give the LFS a call and see if they can get some in for me.

If the LFS can't get them for me then I'll probably stick to my original idea of the two fancy goldfish - I bought an oversized filter knowing this was a possibility all along.

Back
Top Bottom