10 gallon shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I didn't order everything from one place though. I was going all over the place by car, by internet....my wife was getting mad because that's all I was doing. I had a specific list of plants, and I found them. The best part is: that is a stock light, no co2 and only osmocote+ root tabs every now and then. If you really do your research and come up with a list like I did, you can plant a tank like I did without any crazy maintenance.

Oh I had a list. For 5 other tanks.

The short backstory is that I found ~gasp~ a LFS about 20 miles from me owned and operated by hobbyists. It is so cool.

And they said they would order anything I wanted that they didn't already have, and if they already had it, they'd make sure I got the quantity I wanted.

This coming Friday.

So I said, and this, and this, and 5 of those...

And they said sure thing, to everything but the frogbit, which they said they weren't sure they could get.

And now, I've sat down and looked at my list, and said, holy cow.

And then grinned when I thought about this tank. In the shed.

:D

Haha....that's great! If you end up heavily planting, I hope your light is good enough to handle everything. And if you really went overboard, you may need to look into fertilizers and possibly co2. It's all a balancing act. I think I am right on the edge.

It is really addictive once you start. This is the reason I am setting up 2 more tanks. I'm a little over a year into this hobby, and this will bring me up to 7 tanks!

Haha....that's great! If you end up heavily planting, I hope your light is good enough to handle everything. And if you really went overboard, you may need to look into fertilizers and possibly co2. It's all a balancing act. I think I am right on the edge.

It is really addictive once you start. This is the reason I am setting up 2 more tanks. I'm a little over a year into this hobby, and this will bring me up to 7 tanks!

Most of the plants in this tank will be fast growing stems, but I am going to have a crypt (or two) and a couple of pygmy chain swords.

I'll use the same lighting I have on everything but the nanos - the el cheapo hardware store work lights, with either 13 or 23 watt CFLs (5700 to 6700K), depending on the types of plants and depth of the tank. My 29 high has two 8.5" lights with 23 watt CFLs and the anubias, java ferns, sword, crypts and hygros (that the goldfish aren't eating) look great. I guess goldfish poo is really good for plants...

All my tanks are low tech. I use Flourish Comprehensive, root tabs on the rooted plants, and in the tanks with no anacharis, API CO2 booster.

This will be the first dirted aquarium I've done, although I set up a dirted bowl a couple of weeks ago (yes, a couple of the mucho plants will go in there). My 20 long has a 50/50 combination of Eco Complete and fine natural colored aquarium gravel, but all the other tanks are gravel substrate only.

I have a shrimp jungle going on as well...cant even NAME all the species of plants in there! But...my shrimp seen to favor the glosso (dwarf variety) and the dwarf hair grass, and of course the Java moss, On occasion they climb up the stemmed ones and eat the algae off them. I got 3 different varieties of shrimp going as well, Ghosties, Yellows and RCS. (No young as of yet) But at feeding time it is fun to watch them all creep out of the jungle and go on food searches. And i have just guppies and small tetras in the tank and they ignore the shrimps...

I have a shrimp jungle going on as well...cant even NAME all the species of plants in there! But...my shrimp seen to favor the glosso (dwarf variety) and the dwarf hair grass, and of course the Java moss, On occasion they climb up the stemmed ones and eat the algae off them. I got 3 different varieties of shrimp going as well, Ghosties, Yellows and RCS. (No young as of yet) But at feeding time it is fun to watch them all creep out of the jungle and go on food searches. And i have just guppies and small tetras in the tank and they ignore the shrimps...

How cool. Do you have photos of your tank?

Don't you just love low tech? I'm basically the same, even the gravel. And cfl bulbs with regular house lamps are great. They do the same job, sometimes better job than those $200 light fixtures! And rcs are awesome. In my 10 gallon, I have a wisteria plant that grew to about a third the size of the tank! The shrimp hang off of it like Christmas balls on a Christmas tree. It's hilarious. I have stainless steel mesh in that tank also with different types of moss attached. The shrimp have a blast in there!

Don't you just love low tech? I'm basically the same, even the gravel. And cfl bulbs with regular house lamps are great. They do the same job, sometimes better job than those $200 light fixtures! And rcs are awesome. In my 10 gallon, I have a wisteria plant that grew to about a third the size of the tank! The shrimp hang off of it like Christmas balls on a Christmas tree. It's hilarious. I have stainless steel mesh in that tank also with different types of moss attached. The shrimp have a blast in there!

What a cool visual image...like Christmas balls. This may wind up being my favorite tank.

And yes, I love low tech. Maintaining multiple tanks weekly takes time. I also want the time to enjoy them. There are some incredibly beautiful photos of high tech fw tanks here - and I consider all marine tanks high tech - but low tech planted can be just as beautiful.

That may be a good topic for a new thread in the planted tank forum.

Low tech can definitely be beautiful. There are plenty of low light/maintenance plants out there. Here's a pic of my 10 gallon with the shrimp. It's a few months old, so that wisteria is much bigger now. I have to get close ups with the shrimp hanging on there.

image-527797664.jpg

And one of my shrimp. These guys are awesome!

image-2748204549.jpg

Low tech can definitely be beautiful. There are plenty of low light/maintenance plants out there. Here's a pic of my 10 gallon with the shrimp. It's a few months old, so that wisteria is much bigger now. I have to get close ups with the shrimp hanging on there.

And one of my shrimp. These guys are awesome!

Is that a bubble driven box filter in the right corner of the first pic? I haven't seen one of those in ages! If anyone starts a "Do you remember this?" thread then you can include that.
BTW - nice looking tank

Is that a bubble driven box filter in the right corner of the first pic? I haven't seen one of those in ages! If anyone starts a "Do you remember this?" thread then you can include that.
BTW - nice looking tank

I missed that! But you're right, that's what it looks like.

It is....and I love that thing! I filled it with an Aquaclear sponge cut to size and some fluval bio rings. Then I covered it with black panty hose. That thing is awesome. The shrimp graze on it all day. I still have an HOB though.....a biowheel 100. The extra filtration comes in handy as I can't change the water every week. I get to that every 2 or 3 weeks, with top offs in between. The tank is healthy and the endlers and rcs have tons I babies.

Didn't get all the plants, but I did get most of them.

This tank:
50 watt Eheim Jager Thermostat Heater
Hydro-Sponge Pro Filter Pro II
Glass top with 8.5" aluminum work light with 23 watt CFL/6700K

Organic potting soil capped with black sand
A piece of Malaysian driftwood, about 8-9 inches long
Rocks

Plants:
Hygrophila corymbosa angustifolia, snagged from my goldfish tank
Cryptocoryne lutea
Pygmy chain sword (getting ready to bloom)
Some insanely dark green cabomba, also getting ready to bloom
Anubias nana, tied to the driftwood
Java fern windelov, also tied to the driftwood
Salvinia minima

I set the tank up with the hygro, anubias and java fern three days ago, and added the other plants last night. (Last night was a long night, I was adding plants to 5 other tanks also.)

73133-albums12049-picture54201.jpg

A puzzling thing I've noticed is that this heater is supposed to be good for 64-90F, with its adjustable thermostat. I wanted to shoot for about 74F. I've had to turn it up to 77F to get the tank thermometer to read 74.

I can also see that I'm going to have to fiddle with my camera settings to get photos of this tank that aren't so bright until the plants mature.

I want some ludwigia replens for the back next to the sponge filter. Waiting on the LFS to get it. I wanted frogbit for my floater and I couldn't get it, so I told him to bag me enough salvinia minima for the 5 tanks.

When I got to the front of the store to pay, he told me the "water weed" was free, since he hadn't gotten the frogbit.

Water weed.:blink:

Free weed is always nice ;) ! Nice looking tank, hard work defiantly pays off!

Back
Top Bottom