5-10 gallon shrimp stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
on another note...

the tank is actually a starter tank(I think) which comes with a filter. do these default filters usually suffice for my set-up?

Agree with fort384 ... A "starter kit" filter should do fine in a small bio load setting. Worst case, you ditch it and get yourself an AquaClear 20 ... It's flow can be adjusted down for a 5gal capacity ... Assuming it'd fit. I'd go this route if it was one of those under gravel filters I see with some of those kits.

With a betta its hit or miss if it goes after the shrimp all depends on the individual personality of the fish. Some are lazy and dont even notice the shrimp and then some bettas will hunt them..

yeah, I guess we'll see when they're put together.

Set up the tank last night, planted a few crypts, anubias nana and an ambulia I think? ran the filter and put the driftwood in, the filter's been running since last night.

my concern is the heater, it doesn't seem to cool it enough. It's summer in australia and my tank went up to 29 degrees (celsius) last night, this morning it's 27. looks like I might need a new heater, but how do you guys cool your tank? It's 5 gal so I assume that's why the temp changes quickly

Also I was told/read that you don't really need to do cycle if your tank is planted, is this true?

I don't mind waiting, since this is my first planted tank (or any tank, for that matter) I'm still excited watching the plants grow without any fishes / shrimp :D besides, 2-3 weeks is probably about the right time for me to actually get into the routine of maintaining the tank... but do I need to add anything else in the meantime or it will automatically cycle in the next 3 weeks?

I still need to study the fluctuations in temp, that's the one that worries me at the moment -_- tested ph last night and it stays at 7.0 so that's good at the moment. apart from the tests you get from API freshwater master test kit what else do I need to test for? I noticed kh/gh is not there too..

while the water is not looking too bad at the moment (I just put in black gravel last night) and I'm guessing it'll be even clearer in the next day or two, is adding some chemicals for clearing water advisable at all?

yeah, I guess we'll see when they're put together.

Set up the tank last night, planted a few crypts, anubias nana and an ambulia I think? ran the filter and put the driftwood in, the filter's been running since last night.

my concern is the heater, it doesn't seem to cool it enough. It's summer in australia and my tank went up to 29 degrees (celsius) last night, this morning it's 27. looks like I might need a new heater, but how do you guys cool your tank? It's 5 gal so I assume that's why the temp changes quickly

Also I was told/read that you don't really need to do cycle if your tank is planted, is this true?

Heaters don't cool the tank. They heat it. If you need to cool it, lower your water level a bit to allow more splash into the tank. An airstone might help, and as an emergency measure you can float a clean bottle of ice or cold water in it.

right, I got the wrong logic. I thought it's one of those where they keep the temp stable. is there one that would?

I'll try to post some pics tonight of the tank. wife helped aquascape it :) the water seems to be greenish... algae?

There are Chillers, but for such a small tank I don't see that as a real option. Some I have heard run a fan to help cool it.

You can get a variation on the temp due to the light. Is it an incandescent light bulb?

yeah I heard about the fan thing too... doesn't look like a stable option though.

not sure about the light, it's the default light that comes with the tank, it's the long, cylinder shaped one though.

here are the pics... I thought it was green, but I think it's just a bit cloudy... guess I didn't wash them enough :(

question about the plants (amubila, crypts and anubias): do they need any extra nutrients other than 8-10 hours of lights?

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4447.jpg

IMG_4449.jpg

Thanks :) yea the anubias seems healthy for now, the crypts are starting to show yellow leaves. I'm thinking of buying the seachem root tabs, will this do?

I'm still gonna have to solve the temp problem in the meantime... the weather is cooler today but I imagine with the lights on they'll still get that hot. Might have to turn my heater down a few degrees as well, put it on 26 but this morning it was still 30, think the heater's a bit too big for my tank :/

what is the highest temp the shrimp can take?

another question: which one's better for conditioning a new tank, seachem prime or stress coat?

Different kinds of shrimp can be different temps.

I have one tank of RCS which runs at about 79/80F which is a little high but that's what it always has been. My other RCS tank is about 78F. About a year they have been in there.

They both produce babies nicely.

I am getting some OEBT shrimp this week and the temp will change since they like it cooler, about 72/75F, I will probably go with 74F.

was thinking of RCS... I was told they're the hardiest of shrimps, and betta being one of the hardy fishes as well... seeing as I've seen my tanks get as high as 31 degrees just wondering if they'll survive if there ever will be such accident :/

That is almost 88F (31C) for the USA people. I think it would be worth trying, but I wouldn't spend too much until you see how they deal with the extra heat.

That is really hot but I imagine it cools down too, in the evening some? I would just check out aquarium plants which you could use in a Discus tank, ones which would be able to live in the hotter water. No air conditioner? Just make sure to run the light less when it is so hot!

Maybe a bag of fish water conditioned ice cubes when they are too hot.

Its not an ideal temp and not one i am planning for, they could go down as far as 26 in summer. Having said that my aim is around 26-27 degrees constant temp and rest assured i am solving this problem before buying any shrimps or fish.

I am going to move them to the middle of my house, have to open half the lid and use a fan to run it, set heater on 24 degrees, and see how we go...

Back
Top Bottom