5-10 gallon shrimp stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shrimp look pretty nice!

Oh and a 1mm flake of that stick food is enough, you will overfeed, they are so tiny. Someone told me, and i don't know if it is true, but to think of the eye as how big their stomach is!!!

I am an over feeder, I am trying to reform.

After the tank has time to mature there will be biofilm in the tank for them to eat too.

Yeah i know i was overfeeding with the last feeding, i was just trying to get all of them to come out to see how many still alive. This morning i only see 3... its a bit weird, whenever i count them before midnight i never lost one, but come morning some is always missing... what do they usually do between midnight and 7am? I doubt they actually died, havent seen any corpses...

When the lfs tested the water, did they do it with a liquid test kit or strips? Strips can give you false readings, and if the tank isn't cycled, the poor water quality will kill them.

The lfs tested with liquids... i am hoping theyre molting, though now the thought springs to mind that they might have died during molting, and the other shrimps ate them.. hope that wasnt the case, as i havent seen any stray tails or heads floating around, just some outer transparent case. What are the signs of a sick shrimp? From what i see last night theyre all still red colour, eating, some move about actively, hanging on the leaves...

after further research (on shrimp deaths and moulting) it seems probably better to at least wait for a few days before truly panicking. no true corpses has come out yet and I doubt the shrimps could/would eat them(2 of them) spotless within 7 hours (that's if they started right away the moment I went to bed). I'm just gonna bet on them hiding well while moulting in the crevices of the driftwood waiting for their shells to be hardened again. I guess I'm too paranoid.. the solution? I should buy 5 more :D

Question: has any of you ever tried experimenting with activated carbon in a planted tank? I heard conflicting report regarding these, and reason I ask is because Aquaclear 20 came with it, so it's in my filter at the moment. Not that I have any problem with the easy plants I currently have(ambulia's growing like weeds, crypts and anubias are green), but if they could flourish even more then why not? :p Should I replace it? and if so, what media should I put in? or should I not even bother with planted tanks?

Oh, and I saw 5 of my shrimps this morning :D turns out there ARE places around the driftwood that I can't see...

Question: has any of you ever tried experimenting with activated carbon in a planted tank? I heard conflicting report regarding these, and reason I ask is because Aquaclear 20 came with it, so it's in my filter at the moment. Not that I have any problem with the easy plants I currently have(ambulia's growing like weeds, crypts and anubias are green), but if they could flourish even more then why not? :p Should I replace it? and if so, what media should I put in? or should I not even bother with planted tanks?

Oh, and I saw 5 of my shrimps this morning :D turns out there ARE places around the driftwood that I can't see...

Carbon's pretty much worthless IMO except for removing tannins and Meds fom a treated tank. Replace it with 100% Polyfill ... It'll really help polish off your water.

As always, swift replies. You guys are great :)

will check them out, thanks!

BTW .. I'm running an AC-20 for a few weeks on my shrimp and I've already swapped out the Poly-fill so it really traps debris / dirt.

And yep, shrimp are masters at finding a thousand hiding spots in one piece of DW.

I think we might have a problem... my last test indicates .25 to .5 ppm ammonia (I think? it was either the 2nd or 3rd colour in the API test kit... according to what I read it would kill the shrimps... would they kill automatically? I'm a bit confused because I don't see any sign of them being affected at all... not saying they're not affected though, but if they are they're basically doomed :( been dosing with prime, and just did a water change... the male then went a bit nuts for a few minutes running around the tank, and then calmed down again... but is there a way to deal with this without putting them out of the tank? keeping in mind I have a planted tank...

Confused again about cycling a planted tank... some sources say you don't need cycling and some say you do... and if you have a plant then the cycling process is even longer (harder to build up the BB cos they just got sucked in as nutrients by the plants)? I don't see where else that ammonia could've build up though... it can't be from the shrimps though..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom