Baby shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a brackish tank with puffers and about 10-15 ghost shrimp. I noticed a few days ago a couple of very tiny baby shrimp. I have had quite a few females carrying eggs but never saw a baby shrimp until now. I think that they were all sucked in by the filter intake. So, today I put a piece of pantyhose over the intake to try and keep the shrimp alive. Is this ok to do? Will this hurt the filter? Will the tank be dirtier now since the filter won't be picking up waste anymore? What is a better solution? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Depending on your filter type, there's a few folks that make stainless steel mesh filter guards that go over the intake.

You are correct the filter won't pick up some of the solid waste with panty hose.
The shrimp will probably figure out some good stuff collects on the pantyhose to and start eating from there.

What I do is put a sponge on the filter intake. Depending how much waste and how fine is the sponge, I clean it every couple days. Larger wastes just stays on the sponge until I take it out, so it's not an issue.

A sponge will hold more waste than pantyhose.

Thanks, guys!
What kind of sponge do you use?

You could cut an aquaclear 20 sponge, but i use a fluval sponge made for intakes.

My 65g community gets a stainless mesh strainer.

Thanks. I will look into those.

Back
Top Bottom