Can I add shrimp to my 29 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spencer1044

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I was think about getting a couple of shrimp for my 29 gal and just let them breed and establish a community. My tank
imagejpg1_zpsd1f2d01e.jpg Photo by spl1999spencer1044 | Photobucket and my question is would my fish try to eat them or attack them. My planted tank has been up and ramming for 4 years now so it is well established
MY FISH
2 red paradise gouramis
5 neon tetra
3 long fin serpe tetra
3 kuhli loaches
1 black molly
3 black/Dalmatian Molly hybrids

What sort of shrimp did you have in mind ? If you get cherry shrimp, some of the babies are going to get eaten. This does not mean you can't have them, but it does mean that getting two of them and hoping for a colony is a bit optimistic.

Ghost shrimp, though you may not get babies, [ they have larvae first], are larger and might do better. Or there are the filter feeding shrimp, like Bamboos. They too have larvae, so no babies, but they live much longer than the little shrimp do. They're quite bold as a rule, so long as you provide a decent current for them to feed in. They also need some food suited to their needs.. I can give a you a list of things you can try if you want.

I once kept a community 29G with a fair number of danios, kuhlis and cories in it. I had Ghost shrimp, Blue Claw whisker shrimp, Bamboo shrimp, dwarf bamboos and Snowballs, the white form of cherry shrimp. I started with a few juvies and about twenty newborn Snowballs, as there was one berried female who gave birth the next day and then died. I was amazed that most of the Snowballs lived, though I didn't see many of them for nearly a month, 'til they grew bigger. Plenty of plants, rocks and wood for them to hide in, and they continued to reproduce.

I know some of them were eaten, but not enough to prevent a colony from growing. Just more slowly than in a shrimp only tank. So with those fish and that tank, it was possible. I don't think one pair would give you a colony though. I think you'd need a half dozen females and couple of males to have a decent shot at a colony. Or a fair size group of young ones.

The rule of thumb with shrimp is that if they are small enough to fit inside the mouth of a fish, they will be eaten. But mollies, I think, tend to be more vegetarian, so perhaps they wont bother them too much. Kuhlis have a small mouth, so only the very young shrimp are at risk and they still have to catch them, which they don't always manage to do.

The ones I'd worry about are the gouramis.. which are known for being fairly predatory. I don't know about rainbow fish.. never kept any. So with the gouramis, you might not have as much luck as I did with the little shrimps. But the Bamboo shrimp are usually at least two inches long when you buy them, if not larger, so they might do ok, if you like them. But you must give them a good current, places to perch in the current to fan feed, and suitable food to sift out of the water.

The gouramis seem to stay at the top of the tank and I was planning on getting 10 start and it would probably be some form or cheery shrimp maybe yellow shrimp they reproduce a lot faster than almost all the shrimp I've read about. But even if I did 10 cherry shrimp do you think that would be enough to starta community and how do you know if they are male or female or do you just ask for the 10 at the lfs and hope for the best

Well, it depends how old the shrimp are. Young ones are nearly impossible to sex. Once the females are old enough to saddle.. they get a light coloured patch behind the head, on their back, it's their ovary.. then you can at least pick females for sure. If you got ten, you'd be sure to have both sexes at least. Generally speaking, females are larger and have a rounder, fuller underline, [ beneath the belly], where males are smaller and have a much straighter underline.. being thinner overall in the body. That's about all you can look at, if they are not old enough to be saddled.
And females usually have better colour than males do.. that depends on what shrimp you get of course, but if they are plain cherry shrimp, females have a lot more red than males do. In the yellow version, the males are usually much paler in colour.

Be prepared to have them disappear and just when you think they're eaten they pop out.... Only for you to think they're eaten again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you get cherry shrimp then IMO mosses are essential if you have fish and desirable even if you don't. My main tank would be empty of shrimp without the considerable amount of moss.
I started with 10 RCS in a tank with fish. Months went by and I thought only a few had survived but a year later I have 100+. Once the number of young become more than the fish want to eat then the colony will take off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom