Crayfish or shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only 3 red minor serpae tetras. The tank is about 2/3 cycled. I'm just planning out what I want in advance since I can be indecisive. I don't want to get a fish on a whim that I'll end up no being able to keep.

You could get three more of those and your shrimp and COULD do a centerpiece fish such as a DG or sparkling gourami or a Bolivian ram but that raise the stakes of loosing some shrimp

That would have to wait till out gets fully planted. I'm not trying to make my shrimp into meals. Lol

What us a DG?

That makes it though! Those are all beautiful fish, especially the rams. I might have to get less shrimp so I could have two rams! Good thing I have some time to think about it...

If you get a pair of rams get a male and female

If you get a pair of rams get a male and female

Or two females but that would not be as colorful. You can also risk getting two males. They usually don't fight unless their is a female.
Which rams are you looking for? I really like the new electric blue rams but they are quite expensive.....
German and Bolivian rams are also good.

Just make sure your tank is mature enough for German blue rams like at least four to six months

It will be a while before I get Rams if at all since they will be the last additions to the tank. Im glad I have plenty of time to think about/drool over at the lfs.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice! Yall rock!! (y) :thanks:

It will be a while before I get Rams if at all since they will be the last additions to the tank. Im glad I have plenty of time to think about/drool over at the lfs.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice! Yall rock!! (y) :thanks:

No prob :). Good luck (y).

One other question...

I have no hood and plenty of things that hang (hob filter, heater, ect..) Do I need to worry about them escaping or will they stay in the tank without a lid/hood?

I have lids on all my tanks because I'm scared they will jump

One other question...

I have no hood and plenty of things that hang (hob filter, heater, ect..) Do I need to worry about them escaping or will they stay in the tank without a lid/hood?

Worry about the shrimp or rams escaping? It's always good to have a cover but its not necessary if you want to take that risk. I had no lid until my crayfish escapes up the airline tubing. Do you use a light fixture?
Glass canopies are usually inexpensive and lights can be placed on them. The Aqueon versa tops are really good.

I had a hood but with my new light plus filter, heater and air tubes I had to break a lot of the tabs out. I'll just make one.

One more question... (I'm full if them apparently)

Would the shrimp bother a few Nerite snails? I'v got some diatoms and a little algae.

No the snails will be fine.the shrimp shouldn't bother them at all

I had a hood but with my new light plus filter, heater and air tubes I had to break a lot of the tabs out. I'll just make one.

One more question... (I'm full if them apparently)

Would the shrimp bother a few Nerite snails? I'v got some diatoms and a little algae.

No, shrimp may clean the snail's shell but won't hurt/bothers the snails. And if you have algae and diatoms, feed less and turn lights down. How many hours do you run your lights and how often do you feed?

No algae problems, just diatoms at the moment. I was ruining about 12 hours a day but I'v got back to 8-10. I'm dosing flourish and excel and root tabs. I have iron as well but no signs of a deficiency so I'm not using it at the moment. Only just got the flourish yesterday and I am doing about 40% pwc daily to keep nitrites down while the tank cycles.

Also will the fish/shrimp eat the snail eggs?

No algae problems, just diatoms at the moment. I was ruining about 12 hours a day but I'v got back to 8-10. I'm dosing flourish and excel and root tabs. I have iron as well but no signs of a deficiency so I'm not using it at the moment. Only just got the flourish yesterday and I am doing about 40% pwc daily to keep nitrites down while the tank cycles.

Also will the fish/shrimp eat the snail eggs?

12 hours is a lot of light. Diatoms are supposed to only appear in new fw tanks then go away and never come back. 10 or less hours is the best for most tanks.
The nerite snail's eggs?

Back
Top Bottom