Dying shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I've been having problems for a while with losing my shrimp. They seem to be dying either during molt or after.
The shrimp dying are my golden bee and rcs, my crs seem unaffected at the moment.
My tank is over a year old, I have also bamboo shrimp, green lace and ninja which molt without issues. I also have boraras and snails in there. Tank 30 gallon.
Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate under 5, PH 7. 2, kh 3, gh 10.
I have been getting great advice off a friend but looking to see if anyone else has been going through this and can help.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon shrimp and snail tank

Sorry to hear about the losses.
The KH *might* be a little on the low side.
Low calcium might be an issue as well. Though I have not measured mine, I did notice an improvement in molting mortality after adding cuttlebone and eventually Montmorrilonite calcium clay to the tank. I also ordered shrimp from other AA members rather than the LFS (the ones from the LFS had the highest death rate).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for replying.
I have cuttlebone in my tank as well as calcium blocks. I don't know what is happening but it's nearly daily I lose 1 or 2 and it can be young one's as well. I also notice I don't get a lot of surviving babies.
I'm getting to the point I feel like giving up, I've bought lot's off different food's, mineral ball's and I also bought mineral powder it's like a clay that you add to your water but I'm not sure about using it, I use to find dead shrimp after using it!

Ugh. Oh, has there been any changes to your source water? I also forgot to mention copper. Not invertebrate friendly at all. Any chance of copper entering the tank either through meds or water changes.

No, my other shrimp and snail's are doing great just these guy's.
I'm starting to think it's where I'm buying them, maybe they aren't so healthy.

Oh, I see. Did not read carefully :( Weird. CRS are fine, RCS are not. You might be right. Perhaps it's the source.

I've lost 3 shrimp over 2 day's ? not good. Checked parameters and everything is fine, definitely won't be getting any more, don't think I can keep them!

Had to bring this thread up again, I'm still having problems with the tank. Started losing my bamboo shrimp sadly haven't a clue why
Here's my parameters. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate under 5, PH 7. 2, kh 4, gh 9 and tds 123ppm. Temp 25.2
My bamboo go red in colour before dying, seriously think molting is a big issue, but don't understand why as they use to molt fine? Losing my other shrimp during or after molt.
This is what I feed them mulberry leaf, cattapa, spinach, cucumber, butternut squash, snowflake, white pellets, algae wafers, hikari shrimp cuisine, nettle stick, bamboo eat mosura powder food, Dennerle food for them and whatever they catch from my boraras. I only feed 2-3 time's a week as they also get food from the fish. Is there anything I'm not doing right?
Thank you

30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Had to bring this thread up again, I'm still having problems with the tank. Started losing my bamboo shrimp sadly haven't a clue why
Here's my parameters. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate under 5, PH 7. 2, kh 4, gh 9 and tds 123ppm. Temp 25.2
My bamboo go red in colour before dying, seriously think molting is a big issue, but don't understand why as they use to molt fine? Losing my other shrimp during or after molt.
This is what I feed them mulberry leaf, cattapa, spinach, cucumber, butternut squash, snowflake, white pellets, algae wafers, hikari shrimp cuisine, nettle stick, bamboo eat mosura powder food, Dennerle food for them and whatever they catch from my boraras. I only feed 2-3 time's a week as they also get food from the fish. Is there anything I'm not doing right?
Thank you

Hi Shelly

I have some Amano shrimp and I don't feed them anything. There is plenty of algae/biofilm for them to feed on. Sounds like yours are spoilt for choice when it comes to feeding. If just stick to the odd algae wafer and let them eat whatever comes naturally to them.

How is your oxygenation in this tank? Any plants etc.

Edit: being a filter feeding shrimp it would seem that that may do better in higher flow rates?

Last edited:
Hi Shelly

I have some Amano shrimp and I don't feed them anything. There is plenty of algae/biofilm for them to feed on. Sounds like yours are spoilt for choice when it comes to feeding. If just stick to the odd algae wafer and let them eat whatever comes naturally to them.

How is your oxygenation in this tank? Any plants etc.

Edit: being a filter feeding shrimp it would seem that that may do better in higher flow rates?

Hi Caliban07,
You could be right about the feeding. I have 5 year old amano in my elephant nose tank and I only feed them once a week the rest of the time they eat naturals and clean up.
I have live plant's cabomba, moss, frogbit and elodea I think!
I have 2 aqua flow 200 internal filters going with spray bar's for my filter feeders. I have just recently pushed both filter's together to create a better flow for them. Tank's been running for over a year, it's one thing after another lol get the fish healthy and my shrimp become unwell!
Oh and I feed frozen brine shrimp and cyclops daily for my boraras could that cause to much protein maybe?
Thanks for the reply

Hi Caliban07,
You could be right about the feeding. I have 5 year old amano in my elephant nose tank and I only feed them once a week the rest of the time they eat naturals and clean up.
I have live plant's cabomba, moss, frogbit and elodea I think!
I have 2 aqua flow 200 internal filters going with spray bar's for my filter feeders. I have just recently pushed both filter's together to create a better flow for them. Tank's been running for over a year, it's one thing after another lol get the fish healthy and my shrimp become unwell!
Oh and I feed frozen brine shrimp and cyclops daily for my boraras could that cause to much protein maybe?
Thanks for the reply

Hi Shelly

I'm not sure really. It just seems like a lot of different foods but I am no shrimp expert by any means. Id just pinch some flake food up in to fine particles, submerge my hand and just release a small amount of food in to the water column once every few days. Sounds like you have enough water movement. Hope you find the cause. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Hi Shelly

I'm not sure really. It just seems like a lot of different foods but I am no shrimp expert by any means. Id just pinch some flake food up in to fine particles, submerge my hand and just release a small amount of food in to the water column once every few days. Sounds like you have enough water movement. Hope you find the cause. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Hi,
Thanks for trying, I'll just cut back more and let them eat more naturals like mulberry leaf etc and lay off the pellets, hopefully it'll make a difference.
Cheers Caliban07

Got up to my bamboo shrimp with a successful molt! Really pleased, didn't want to lose her I've had her for a long time.

Thank you both, pleased she survived. Had her for nearly 2yrs, she was transferred from my other tank, really enjoy filter feeders.

Yesterday was a complete disaster, sadly lost my female bamboo shrimp she just never ate since her molt :( also lost a young blue phantom, 2 crs and 2 red fire shrimp wish I knew what I was doing wrong, starting to feel like the Grim Reaper off shrimp! If it wasn't for my boraras I'd shut down this tank, it's so sad ?
Ammonia 0ppm,
nitrite 0 ppm,
Nitrate 5
Tds 123ppm
Ph 7.4

Sorry for your losses. I really don't know much about shrimp. Hope things improve in the long run.

Thank you Caliban07, I'm really at a loss don't know where I'm going wrong.
Really hate losing anything, I'm too soft!

You might try using part Distilled part tap for water changes to lower TDS ?

I did small steady water changes with my CRS. Only 25% at most. They did not like big water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom