Dying shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi,
My friend also mentioned distilled water haven't tried that yet.
I've reduced my pwc to 25% a week
Got up this morning to another dead shrimp, it's definitely through molting they're having issues. I've hardly any left.
Thanks for the help.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras ,bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Hi,
My friend also mentioned distilled water haven't tried that yet.
I've reduced my pwc to 25% a week
Got up this morning to another dead shrimp, it's definitely through molting they're having issues. I've hardly any left.
Thanks for the help.

Shelly is this a shrimp only tank? Would the fish be large enough to eat them? I sometimes wonder if molting shrimp become an easy target for some fish...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Shelly is this a shrimp only tank? Would the fish be large enough to eat them? I sometimes wonder if molting shrimp become an easy target for some fish...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It was shrimp only and I was having death's then. My boraras are smaller than my shrimp and totally ignore them. They're dying with some of their molt stuck on them.
Thanks

Hey there shellyx, so sorry to hear of the situation continuing.

Have you ever added magnesium sulfate to the water? aka Epsom salts (no perfumes or additives in it of course)? One report I recently read about magnesium mentioned helping with molting...

This wasn't the article I read previously but it just scientifically mentions the connection...a little beyond my usual reading level right now, lol. I really just read the first paragraph...there are other articles I saw after searching for "magesium for molting". Your situation just caused me to remember I had read this tid bit.
Magnesium-aspartate-based crystallization switch inspired from shell molt of crustacean

This one looked interesting too and of course mentions calcium as important
https://www.jstor.org/stable/1548969?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Some other anecdotal info - it is good for people too - especially for muscles, like after you lugged too many buckets of aquarum water.
Can You Absorb Magnesium From Epsom Salt? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Last edited:
Thanks Autumn,
I'll give those a read, haven't heard off using Epsom for anything but illness, you learn something new everyday. I've hardly any shrimp left sadly, my babies are surviving and there's 5 berried mums so that's what's confusing as they must be molting successfully? Would putting in larger pieces of cuttlebone help? I'm just trying anything as I really don't want to lose them all.
Thanks for the links I'm off to read.

Back
Top Bottom