Feeding red cherry shrimps spinach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I feed red cherry shrimps spinach and if so how long can I keep the spinach leaf in the tank for?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I do kale, but same idea. I put it in some water and microwave it for 5 minutes, then stick it in the tank until they eat it away.

Yeah I boiled that water first and then put the leaf for about a minute until it got soft and then put it in the tank.

But the thing is that they didn't all rush for it and I left it over night as not much of it was eat and checked this morning to still see the leaf but with a few holes here and there

Why is that?

Not sure. Mine tend not to go for it much in the first few days. Then the leaf will start to change colour and that's when they go to town. Typically, mine is in there for about a week. Day 1-3ish, they might crawl on it but the Oto is the main muncher. Day 4-6 everyone is eating.

But if you leave the spinach leaf in the tank for more than a day won't that mess up the water and start to rot?
This was the first time trying spinach leaf and I left it overnight

I feed my shrimp spinach they seem to enjoy it. I usually leave it in overnight then remove in the morning .

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

Maybe because it is the first time :s

Also I have a question about one of my shrimps.
Basically one of the saddled shrimps moulted yesterday/today and I was wondering how long would it take for the eggs to be seen near her legs and how would you know if the female shrimp has mated?

Everything that I read said that the female will pass the eggs after about an hour after mating. As far as how long the whole thing takes and how to tell if they have mated, I'd love to know that myself.

Some people have told me that it will take at least a week for the eggs show near the legs after mating....

Also I currently don't see any eggs near her legs and it's been about a day since she mated

I really want tiny shrimps running around but just don't know what to look out for and how long it will take

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You'll know it when you see it. And don't get overly excited. New shrimp moms often drop their first clutch of eggs before they hatch. My first female had at least 30 eggs and out of that I think I got five babies.

The shrimp females learn to hold onto their eggs after the first or second batch, and do a much better job as they gain experience.

You'll know it when you see it. And don't get overly excited. New shrimp moms often drop their first clutch of eggs before they hatch. My first female had at least 30 eggs and out of that I think I got five babies.

The shrimp females learn to hold onto their eggs after the first or second batch, and do a much better job as they gain experience.

Ahh darn! im guessing im going to be waiting a while just to see about a dozen more cherry shrimps running around in my tank :/

Also how can i be sure that the cherry shrimp has mated?

You'll see males zooming all over the tank looking for the freshly molted female. She smells very attractive when she's freshly molted and it drives males nuts. You probably won't ever see them mate. But you will see berried females later.

She molted overnight so i probably missed the shrimps running around like crazy in the tank so therefore i dont know if they have mated or not :/

How long will it take to see a berried female?

Currently she isn't berried im still waiting for eggs but she does have a lot of eggs in her saddle that for sure
So I don't know if I'll be expect eggs anytime soon

If I feed them more protein foods will that help her to become pregnant quickly?

If you feed them more proteins and keep the tank warmer, they will grow faster and have to moult more. This may increase the rate of breeding, but it also lowers their lifespan. You also have to be more vigilant with tank parameters, otherwise you end up with a bunch of half moulted carcasses...

If you feed them more proteins and keep the tank warmer, they will grow faster and have to moult more. This may increase the rate of breeding, but it also lowers their lifespan. You also have to be more vigilant with tank parameters, otherwise you end up with a bunch of half moulted carcasses...

Oh ok I have only fed them more protein for 3 days and my tank temp is around 26C is that alright?
Currently I still have this saddled female and she has molted I think but still she has not eggs under her legs....she's not berried :/
Why is this?
When will she become berried?

She either dropped them or hasn't molted yet.

You can't make them breed faster. All you can do is provide good conditions and let them grow up.

I prefer a varied, balanced diet.

http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/articles/cherry-shrimp-feeding.php

http://www.planetinverts.com/Red Cherry Shrimp.html

These are the same articles I read when I got my Shrimp.

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/cherry-shrimp/52782-what-feed-my-cherry-shrimp.html

Everyone agrees, don't overfeed.

I'll be adding an Indian Almond Leaf to my tank for my Shrimp. As it decays, they eat it. It will stay in the tank till it's a leaf skeleton. My Shrimp do fine without the leaves but I give them to them as a treat.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423249945.977686.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423250021.517178.jpg

I'll make them Repashy gel food soon. They won't need it right away.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423250112.291294.jpg

Back
Top Bottom