Feeding red cherry shrimps spinach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
26c is almost 79f. That's on the hot side. It should be fine. I keep mine cooler as I've said. Mine are at 72f

We are all operating with the same information as you. So you keep asking us the same questions, We keep giving you the same answers. There is no magic way to breed shrimp. You just have to give them clean water good conditions and no predators and they should be fine.

If 3 months go by without seeing babies. Evaluate your water and tank maintenance.

Try gradual changes if needed.

Stable conditions and live plants are the most important.

Mine started slow, then boom !

15 RCS became 100 RCS within months.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

26c is almost 79f. That's on the hot side. It should be fine. I keep mine cooler as I've said. Mine are at 72f

We are all operating with the same information as you. So you keep asking us the same questions, We keep giving you the same answers. There is no magic way to breed shrimp. You just have to give them clean water good conditions and no predators and they should be fine.

If 3 months go by without seeing babies. Evaluate your water and tank maintenance.

Try gradual changes if needed.

Stable conditions and live plants are the most important.

Mine started slow, then boom !

15 RCS became 100 RCS within months.

She can't have dropped them as I didn't see any eggs on the floor also she is heavily saddled and I checked this the day after she molted and I'm pretty sure it was her that molted.....she is still currently heavily saddled.

I had my temp at 72f but they werent breeding much.

Yeah water condition is good i do water changes every week and I feed them flake food mostly but also protein pellet and sometimes spinach.
I also have alot of live plants in the tank as well as a moss ball and im planning on getting java moss as well.
Alright so far i think ive only had them for about a month and a bit

Thanks for the articles I'll read them over I think I've read 1 or 2 already

I concur 100%. Don't try so hard at "making" something happen. Just sit back and relax for a while. Good things come to those who wait.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

OP - How many shrimp are in the tank? You can increase the likelihood of breeding by having more shrimp in there (yes, it sounds obvious). But the conditions should be favorable for the shrimp regardless of the numbers.
Interesting about the temp. Mine is currently between 77-80 F. Breeding is pretty consistent (at least 2-3 berried ladies at any given time and newly hatched shrimp visible each week) although I would have expected the colony count to rise faster than it has. I may consider dropping the temp a few degrees over the next couple of weeks and adding an IAL.

Sure thing.

I dont know if i have males in the tank....i have a feeling that i dont :/

Here are some pictures of 2 of my shrimps could anyone please tell me if atleast one of them is a male

1st Shrimp
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

2nd Shrimp

I currently have 14 shrimps in my tank and at the current temp im seeing more shrimps being saddled compared to when it was lower. Also my temp is a bit high as i have a open top tank
What is IAL?

Thanks

Ahh ok
Did you get a chance to look at the pictures?
Any of them males?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

1st looks like a male.
2nd looks like female ?

I go by underline. If you google sexing Red Cherry Shrimp you'll have lots of pics to compare.

I started with 15-20 Shrimp

1st looks like a male.
2nd looks like female ?

I go by underline. If you google sexing Red Cherry Shrimp you'll have lots of pics to compare.

I started with 15-20 Shrimp

Really the 1st shrimp look male? i thought that was female as you see a bit of a saddle appearing :/
This is why i dont have a clue on how to sex these lots....
Ahh ok i did have 15 but 1 died :/
but is 14 enough to get going?

I agree I think the first one is male.

14 should be enough. Did you buy them as juveniles? They take 4-6 weeks to mature. Then once you see eggs it is about another 4 weeks for babies to hatch.

I put mine in my tank on New Year's Eve and about a week ago I noticed a females that was berried. Now I have 3 that are. (They were juveniles when added) I added 30 and I have about 15-20 left. (Hard to count as my tank is super heavily planted) the reason so many didn't make it at first is that I also have guppies which ate some of them when they first went in which I knew would happen and I also know not all the babies will make it.

Are there any other types of shrimp in there? I ask because sometimes having another shrimp even compatible can make less babies happen. (I don't have experience myself but a lot of people claimed once they seperate them out there were more babies of both kinds)

It is definitely all about patience :) and like they have said great water conditions

I agree I think the first one is male.

14 should be enough. Did you buy them as juveniles? They take 4-6 weeks to mature. Then once you see eggs it is about another 4 weeks for babies to hatch.

I put mine in my tank on New Year's Eve and about a week ago I noticed a females that was berried. Now I have 3 that are. (They were juveniles when added) I added 30 and I have about 15-20 left. (Hard to count as my tank is super heavily planted) the reason so many didn't make it at first is that I also have guppies which ate some of them when they first went in which I knew would happen and I also know not all the babies will make it.

Are there any other types of shrimp in there? I ask because sometimes having another shrimp even compatible can make less babies happen. (I don't have experience myself but a lot of people claimed once they seperate them out there were more babies of both kinds)

I really thought the first shrimp was a female as there is a white patch appearing where the saddle is so I'm guessing that's eggs no?
And I thought the second one was a male....

I bought some that are juveniles and the rest were older but different sizes. Ahh ok but currently don't have any berried shrimps but only one heavily saddled shrimp but no luck with her yet :/

Oh ok I think I have had these for about a month now or a bit more.
No other shrimps in the tank but I do have Molly fry in the same tank but they are in a breeding net does that affect them in any way? They have been in the tank since Ive added the shrimps and they are all seem fine.

The Molly fry should not affect the shrimp. Just maintain good water conditions. You are doing better than when I first started. 10 out of 15 died over the first few months. Of course I selected only the most colorful ones so I may have inadvertently selected all females. That initially 5 did not reproduce until I added about 20 more (this time from another AA member and not from the LFS).

I really want tiny shrimps running around but just don't know what to look out for and how long it will take

Looking forward to seeing this someday myself! I have pygmy cory.s in my shrimp tank now so may try a small slice of blanched (organic) zucchini tomorrow.

The Molly fry should not affect the shrimp. Just maintain good water conditions. You are doing better than when I first started. 10 out of 15 died over the first few months. Of course I selected only the most colorful ones so I may have inadvertently selected all females. That initially 5 did not reproduce until I added about 20 more (this time from another AA member and not from the LFS).

Yeah my water conditions are fine
Ahh ok that's good in a way I've lost 1 but just no berried female only some developing saddles

I bought these of a private seller as well not from a pet shop

But the only think I don't know is where I have males in my tank....

Shrimp only mate after a mature fully saddled female molts. She will release a pheromone which triggers the males. This is usually called the "dance" because all the shrimp basically go crazy swimming all round. Lots of activity. Once the male finds and mates with the female. Then she will move the eggs down to fertilize them and place them in her swimlets Becoming "berried" Normally within a few days of mating. She will carry them there for somewhere between 16 to 25+ days. (This is directly related to water temp. Higher temp mean quicker hatches but it also reduces shrimp lifespan.) note: first time mothers have been know to drop their eggs. Sucks when it happens But they usually only do this once.

Time and patience (y)

A few weeks ago I bought a handful of blue rili shrimp as a clean up crew for my Endlers tank. With the fish I didn't expect to see any shrimplets. Wrong! Last night I was doing a water change in the tank and surprise, baby blue shrimp!

Shrimp only mate after a mature fully saddled female molts. She will release a pheromone which triggers the males. This is usually called the "dance" because all the shrimp basically go crazy swimming all round. Lots of activity. Once the male finds and mates with the female. Then she will move the eggs down to fertilize them and place them in her swimlets Becoming "berried" Normally within a few days of mating..

The question begged by what you said is, what happens if there is no male? I have no idea if I have males or juveniles or juvenile females, but yeah ~ will the female continue to carry her eggs in the saddle until there's a male around?

New to shrimp and this is fascinating. I must have had a female molt because I found some "shell" just after they got their own tank.

Ok thanks for the replies i understand the shrimp has to be saddled and matured so i took a picture of a shrimp that is saddled and i was wondering if it is a fully matured saddled and whether she is ready to mate?

Also i have another shrimp i was wondering what grade is this shrimp has it looks much more brighter than all my other shrimps and also whether it is male or female?

i would also like to know the answer to ulmina question as well :)

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom