Invert chat, <3 spineless critters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MABJ

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed a few people were chatting about invertebrates all over the place...

SO I figured we could make a thread just for us! Maybe it will turn into a subforum, kind of like Cichlids!

Alright, lets talk about shrimp, snails and crabs galore!

:D

Cool! So, Fertilizer + Shrimp =?

This is a great idea to get an invert "thing" going! I am new to this stuff and have just gotten 7 Red Cherry Shrimp for our 20 gallon. It has a gravel substrate, some rocks and driftwood, and so far 2 anubias, 2 java ferns, 1 amazon sword, 1 moss ball, and we're getting java moss today. My question is, what sort of fertilizer can I safely use with the shrimp? I'm not finding an answer on the planted aquarium forum. We also have 6 Pink Zebra Danios and a Rubber Lip Plecostomous. I would really appreciate anybody's input!

Think this is a good idea! Right now I only have ghost shrimp, but i'm cycling a tank for RCS as we speak, almost done probably a few more days and I can get some. I'm soooooooo excited!

We need an invert subforum! That would be great. :)

I currently have RCS and ghost shrimp (separate tanks). I'm also dying for some CPOs and OEBTs. :)

This is a great idea to get an invert "thing" going! I am new to this stuff and have just gotten 7 Red Cherry Shrimp for our 20 gallon. It has a gravel substrate, some rocks and driftwood, and so far 2 anubias, 2 java ferns, 1 amazon sword, 1 moss ball, and we're getting java moss today. My question is, what sort of fertilizer can I safely use with the shrimp? I'm not finding an answer on the planted aquarium forum. We also have 6 Pink Zebra Danios and a Rubber Lip Plecostomous. I would really appreciate anybody's input!

There's one basic rule, stay away from higher amounts of copper, as this can be lethal to shrimp in higher amounts. Small, small, small amounts won't hurt though:)

This is already my favorite thread!! Lol I have a 10G RCS tank, with some CRS and CBS. I want to start another 10G heavily planted with CRS and CBS, once I get a RO/DI unit. I can't wait!!! Oh and I have some microcrabs in the RCS tank:)

Glad 2 see this thread I love shrimp. I have a 12 gal edge with 20 fire red cherry shrimp I got about 2 weeks ago. I have one question some of my shrimp shells crack on the back and stay like that for a day or 2 then die. Seems to only be bigger ones. My gh is 10 and kh is 5 temp is 76f. I think I was doing to many water changes I was doing 20% twice a week! No heavy metals in water and I use half well water and half RO water cause well water is very hard.

Richie1RCS said:
Glad 2 see this thread I love shrimp. I have a 12 gal edge with 20 fire red cherry shrimp I got about 2 weeks ago. I have one question some of my shrimp shells crack on the back and stay like that for a day or 2 then die. Seems to only be bigger ones. My gh is 10 and kh is 5 temp is 76f. I think I was doing to many water changes I was doing 20% twice a week! No heavy metals in water and I use half well water and half RO water cause well water is very hard.

I think it's the stress, but maybe a calcium issue? Possibly they were trying to molt, but died in the process

WOW! I'm happy to see such a positive and fast responses!

I'm currently prepping a tank for a cherry shrimp project :D (If you wanna help comment, it is in my signature)

I'll start responding in order to peoples posts!

@laurelhed -> I'd say those plants mostly require low to mid light, so you should consider your type and wattage in your tank. Usually 2-3 watts per gallon, depending on your light. I've got moss balls and Java Moss in my tank, and within 8 hours in my tank, I saw a ton of java growth. Moss balls grow about .5mm per year, and get most their nutrients from filtering the water around them. The cherry shrimp you get will be vital to keeping them healthy! Overall, I'd say try to grow plants first without ferts and then if you fail, try small doses of a few different fertilizers. Maybe we can help more once you tell us your natural results!

@Sake -> I'm already done cycling mine, but I'm actually trying to take the cycle out of the equation! Read the thread in my signature, and you can try to help add to the idea!

@Jill -> I want both of those too! My other dream invert is Thai Micro Crabs. They live their entire life cycles under fresh water and filter feed off small particles in the water. They are SO COOL. If I can't get the tiny crabs, I might consider CPOs in my 5gal, but I'm looking for advice on that one..

@Austin.b -> Good to see you here now! Haha.. What is your experience with both red and black crystal in the same tank? I thought they would interbreed? Have they yet?

@Richie1RCS -> Is your tank cycled? I'm very interested in fire reds for their beautiful deep red.. 20% twice a week shouldn't be too disturbing, unless your temperature going in is too different from the tank temp.. Is the tank planted? They may not have enough of the nutrients they need, like calcium, as Austin mentioned..

lol I keep up with your 5 gallon project already!

Yay! How does it compare to yours? Is it similar?

Well mine is a low light like yours, so far i have anubias, wisteria, and some plant from the pond i came across over at TPT they said it was some sort of Persicaria sp. Anyhow I found a guy that will sell 20 crs and starters of Subwassertang, Java Moss, and Amazon Frogbit, so I think I will buy from him and get a few more plants for in there. Hopefully, I will be able to keep Nitrates down enough to slow down on water changes I'm lazy lol. Ah yeah and i got a few snails from those pond plants in there now. Cycling is almost finished and then i'll order the shrimp :D

Oh yeah I have dwarf hairgrass in there also forgot about that lol

Yes it is cycled! I let it run for 2 months with neons. I have 2 anuibas plants and allot of cured Malaysian driftwood. For water changes I have a 5 gal bucket with heater that I make my water in. It just sucks these are very dark all red cherrys and I'm slowly loosing them. Plenty of algae for them to eat. Plus I feed them azoo shrimp food twice a week. They swim around and graze and look happy. Just there shell cracks and then later die. But I'll have to maybe lower my gh to 8. I'll buy a calcium test kit just to see. So far little ones are ok there not as sensitive as adults so hope I'll at least have some left to breed! I have a few types of mosses coming in the mail soon.

Hmm.. Did this thread get moved from general freshwater? :(

Sake, cool. I'm already getting good results from my plants. It looks like we took opposite beginning routes though. I started with mosses, and I added a little anubias. I'll probably be adding some Salvinia and Brazilian Pennywort.

I figure I'll get my plants going first, just so I can actually prove it will be a no cycle needed tank!

Yes it is cycled! I let it run for 2 months with neons. I have 2 anuibas plants and allot of cured Malaysian driftwood. For water changes I have a 5 gal bucket with heater that I make my water in. It just sucks these are very dark all red cherrys and I'm slowly loosing them. Plenty of algae for them to eat. Plus I feed them azoo shrimp food twice a week. They swim around and graze and look happy. Just there shell cracks and then later die. But I'll have to maybe lower my gh to 8. I'll buy a calcium test kit just to see. So far little ones are ok there not as sensitive as adults so hope I'll at least have some left to breed! I have a few types of mosses coming in the mail soon.

I'd stop feeding azoo for now.. I know you're using well water, which has a LOT of natural metals, coupled with the small amount of metal in your food, might be the culprit.

Find a food with zero metals in the ingredients, and try to see if that actually is it.

I'd certainly say you don't have enough plants yet! I'd lay out a thick DIY moss wall/floor. I like the floor idea and the wall idea, but I'll do my wall with a different type of moss. I love the curly java for the floor, color me odd.

Cool! Pictures are appreciated! Once I get shrimp... I'm gonna' light this sucka' up!

Who else has a favorite/interesting invert story? Does anybody keep OBETs?

Also -- I'd really love to know if someone keeps the Thai Micro Crabs.. :p

Very pretty! I'm excited for mine! I'm going to give it a week.

I only do about 20% water changes per week, and I still have Nitrites, so we will see what happens.

MABJ said:
Cool! Pictures are appreciated! Once I get shrimp... I'm gonna' light this sucka' up!

Who else has a favorite/interesting invert story? Does anybody keep OBETs?

Also -- I'd really love to know if someone keeps the Thai Micro Crabs.. :p

well, if this counts as a story, I'm losing all my colony of RCS. I had at least 50, and now I'm down to maybe 12 If I'm lucky:( I don't know why either.....hopefully the deaths stop there, but who knows.

I have micro crabs in my 10G and they are pretty awesome!! they're usually hiding though. I've noted that they are much much more active at night, and prefer a lot of hiding places. I've checked in with quite a bit of people, and none of their micro crabs dig in the substrate like mine, I guess I'm pretty lucky! Haha another user on planted tank breeds them and sells-check her out!! Haha:)

I'm so excited!! Right now I just saw a fluval edge at petco and it had some sakura, yellow, and a crs in it and it looked amazing!!!! I'm going to get one when it comes back in stock next week! I'm going to do snow snowball shrimp and maybe maybe some chili rasboras. Maybe though lol what shrimp do you guys think I should stock it with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom