Marbled Crayfish Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a lot of little fry running around the tank and I'm beginning to separate them since today. I did a water change and found 2 of them swimming around in the "waste bucket" because they got sucked through the siphon hose. I quickly scooped them out and put them in a separate plastic cup. I fed the fry one crayfish pellet today and they ate it a little but it was too big for them. Any suggestions as well as general tips for caring for fry?

I'm also planning on shipping these when they get bigger, so if you're interested in the possibility of owning marbled crayfish in the near future please let me know!

I am interested, so p.m. me when ready to ship.

Get some frozen peas and blanch them-i.e. quick boil in microwave. Allow to cool in fridge. Cut in half and toss in half. Fry will go bonkers.

Yup, mushed blanched peas are good food for the babies. I have also released a pinch of hikari first bites under the water so they sink and the babies go nuts for them. Congratulations on the babies! I'm happy they are doing well for you.

Awesome. Also I have a big piece of driftwood in the tank and every time I do a water change I take it out. Today I took great care in the water change to not harm any fry, and after I had sucked out the water I did a check with a flashlight in the bucket to make sure I didn't suck any up, then if I did I'd scoop them out and put them back in the tank. But the problem is that when I put the driftwood back in, especially today I got afraid that I may have crushed some fry.

So how smart are these creatures? Even the adults are a bit hesitant to move at first but when the driftwood comes really close they finally scatter. Not sure about the babies though. I saw about 10 swimming around when I did the water change today!

And thank you alyxx! Haha I hae also fed them hikari first bites and they really love them.

And thank you alyxx! Haha I hae also fed them hikari first bites and they really love them.

Even my big one will climb up on the sponge filter and bend backwards to scoop first bites off the surface of the water. It's hilarious!

So today I am going to do a water change and intentionally suck out all the babies so I can move them into a separate 1 gallon unfiltered little plastic tank, because we are moving in about 4 days and we need to separate all animals from their tanks anyways. I already have a little aquarium eye dropper thing to suck the dirt and stuff out of the plastic tank when it gets dirty. I have it unfiltered because right now the babies aren't strong enough to fight a filter

This is what they look like. Wondering when I should pull them out before they get stunted. I just put them in there

image-2467321853.jpg

Kept mine in a 55g for a week.. mine were blue p. Alleni only had 3 (first batch didnt realize she evrn had them) once i saw one crawling around i snatched them up an put in the 55g 2 stayed pretty small barely showed up in photos and one was atleast triple their size so i think it depends on the growth rate.. i kept mine 3 weeks then shipped them to their new homes

ForumRunner_20130827_102455.jpg

The big one on the side of the stump

ForumRunner_20130827_102538.jpg

One of the smaller ones being nosey

Not great photos but should be enough to see a size difference..

I also breed marmorkrebs and my female had her first batch hatch about a month ago... they are between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch long, and thriving!!! I feed mine fry starter that i got as a free sample from angels plus and they love it!!! And its small enough that even the smaller babies can pick them up and eat them. I also supplement calcium using vacation block feeders. I have mine to feed my angels, which i also breed and im growing a bunch a bit bigger for my Oscar. Good luck with your babies!!!

Awesome. The fry look almost as big as when I got them now, and I'm wondering how you guys ship them when you sell them to people?

I used a kordon breather bag added something like moss or polyfil in the water for them to hold on to twisted the bag and double rubberbanded it placed the bag in a styrofoam lined box with newspaper or bubblewrap for cushioning then mailed it out priority.. ill try to find the article that explains it in detail

Just found a very insightful YouTube video on African dwarf frogs in large community tanks. This woman appeared to have about a 40 gallon standard, same as mine, and to feed her frog she lowers a net into the water. The frog has already learned after several times that the net means food, so he actually willingly swims into the net by himself and awaits for his bloodworms to be dropped. She says this is only necessary once ever few days or so.

Wow... sounds like it would be interesting.. i actually have a page on fb where someone breeds african clawed frogs.. not sure if those are the same though...

She sells them and dwarf clawed frogs also in albino for $4 plus shipping as long as its not illegal in your state ... which apparently in louisiana it is so i cant get one if i wanted to ..

African clawed is very closely related to dwarfs... both are totally aquatic. I actually had a male african clawed when i was younger... he was awesome!!!

Whoops haha posted this in the wrong thread by accident LOL

I have heard however that African claweds actually harm fish though, while their smaller and more timid cousins from the dwarf family do not

Ok so just checking in, what exactly is a good price? Alyxx (a user from this forum) was my supplier of crayfish and I think I remember her saying that they can only be shipped at a certain time. She was very reasonable in terms of pricing. But of course I forgot how to price them, plus the shipping and possible tax that may apply. Any salesmen out there who know this stuff?

Back
Top Bottom