Mystery Ghost Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Previously to the 2019 CAS Spring Auction in late March I had been finding some awesome pics and info about different Ghost Crayfish.

Up pops one called White Claw Ghost Cray.

I bought it for I think $8 but might have been $6, anyway, Cheap enough, it was all white and just a couple inches and small just larger than a Dwarf Cray adult.

He molted on the way home in the bag.

Was white after.

Got bigger, looked like it molted again. Got bigger was white, but then changed and started to get some russet /red color darkening over the days.

Already nearly adult size in a month!

He has reddish on the claws. It looks like some dots of bluish now, maybe purple, anyway darkish starting. lol Not orange Ghost, or Blue Ghost or??? Was hoping for this
https://aquaticarts.com/products/ghost-crayfish

So the Mystery Cray is a Wild Card at this point. He is super funny. He grabs out of the water to get me to give him a wafer (while hanging on the edge of the floating log)! Not very good at catching them. But really amusing!

Will update for any new color changes and any additional details.

He is in a 20G long (the QT) and will need to move into a different tank next week. QT is getting closed down.

60074-albums14774-picture72062.jpg

60074-albums14774-picture72061.jpg

60074-albums14774-picture72063.jpg

Last edited:
Autumn he is so cute! Something I've always wanted to have but never had the right set up for them. They are also really difficult to find around here.

Thank you! He is a cutie. I need to consider the good tank set up.

I am having to be gone for a couple weeks and having others take care of the aqua critters is a big chore for a non fish person. So limiting the number of tanks at least one less tank will help during the time away. Will be switching a couple things around this week.

He really does like this tank, it has a bunch of wood - a couple sunk in the water and a couple floating.

60074-albums14774-picture72078.jpg

He is in a tank with a couple Blue Mystery snails and seems to have eaten the baby snails that hatched.

But there is a new clutch.

And 4 tiny very special N class Endler babies.

Cray was in with the very small/smaller than Neon Tetras in the QT of Congo Tetra school. When they completed QT The Congos went to the 72G and the Endler babies were moved in there.

This guy hangs on the floating los upside down and has his little claws out but haven't seen him snap at them.

He literally runs around looking for where I will put his food pellet or wafer when he sees me come into the room. Hahaha, that doesn't get me to like him any better at all, kidding, I feed him 2x per day. I do what he wants, I am wrapped around his little claw...

Shrimp wafer or pellets. Since i have about 30 kinds of shrimp food samples I started using them more. About 2 weeks ago.

Before I fed some brine shrimp and Cobalt coral food and Mysis frozen defrosted, Hikari Crab Cuisine and Hikari Omnivore sinking wafers with the orange wrap and the Clown Loach on the bag.

Last edited:
Still using the frozen defrosted foods but more like the Mysis, before I was feeding the Congo Tetras and he could get the yummy left overs.

Since there is very little in the tank otherwise I try to feed more sparingly.

His color is looking like he is getting little bits of blue still. Yay!!! Tail is still very dark more brownish black.

He is eating shrimp king sampler pack - mineral, 5 Leaf, Complete, Protein and snow pops (which is almost never, or only in tiny portions). Plus any number of shrimp food types from the rest of the 2 sampler packs I purchased online and others which I bought.

A varied diet, ;)

Last edited:
That last pic really shows his colors. He is looking great and I can't wait to see him when he is older. Also ty for posting the link to this in your other thread.

I really like these guys, love inverts! Which you know lol how big will he grow?

Thank you. I was surprised with the blue color, those pics are taken without a light or funky filters or color edit changes, it does depend on the lighting though to some degree.

I was hoping for more blue on his main shell areas, but it seems he changes color some every time he molts, so the Ghost Cray surprise continues. :)

He hangs out in his cave mainly. waiting for me to feed him, which I do probably 2 times per day.

Lately He has been getting the Quatro breeder squares (can't recall the exact name atm) a couple times per week, and the Hikari omnivore sinking wafers as well as Bug Bites for Pleco formula, and Hikari Crab Cuisine.

He was a bit skittish after I was away on a trip for 11 days. Now though he comes over for his food like previously.

He makes me laugh nearly every time. Either the waving his claws wildly, or trying to stand up in front of the glass to get closer to reaching the pellets as they fall, as fast as possible. He misses often still but is seeming to get better!

He doesn't have a light on this tank yet, I have a lamp stand which arches over the tanks and some plants ont he table to share that light.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I get some spare time in a week or so, will be moving the N-Class Endler babies and bigger siblings and Mom over there, slightly harder water, and there are 2 Blue Mystery Snails. It is possible I will add more Big Mystery snails in there. I am concerned that the Cray eats the small RH and maybe even the MTS. The MTS I have roam all around the tank and I do not specifically see the Cray attacking them, but all the RH but 1 have disappeared.

Leading me to feel that he is snacking on them. I originally added about 20 feeder RH to the tank in hopes of breeding a few extra for my Clown Loaches to snack on.

Also the 2 MS egg clutches seem to have hatched a small number of them and I have not seen even ONE MS baby snail.

AND.... planning to add a clump of moss, And maybe a stalk of Anubias.

Still wondering if the cray needs some other type of stimulation...

I don't have a newer pic but he has a bunch of areas to climb around and hide in and under.
60074-albums14774-picture72153.jpg

Back
Top Bottom