Crayfish set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NStalgia

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just got some crayfish a week ago. Unplanned cause the guy that was selling me cherry shrimp showed me some crays that he was having a hard time unloading, so he sold them to me for cheap.
My question is what's a nice setup for them? I have them on almost 2 inch of water no filter, a pvc pipe cut in half for their cave and a couple of big rocks for them to climb on. Guppy grass in case they get hungry. Seperate containers, I'm still looking for something bigger for them. I'm thinking of adding pebbles or sand so they can dig around but the problem is cleaning. Right now it's fairly easy to clean their poop, cause they poop a lot, and change their water cause their containers are pretty plain. Will it be a huge problem if I added pebbles? I saw someone saying not to bother cause it'll just be problem to clean later. How often does their water need to be changed? Right now I change it every day cause I don't want them hanging around their poop.

They need sand, as they live to dig! A good two inches so they can really be happy.

Plastic plants, cause they'll eat every living plant!

Water level the same as a fish tank, they'll nip up as necessary but generally like to stay hidden, submerged, and lurking much of the time.

Careful about having more than one to a tank, as most species will fight to the death or at least maiming. The oranges and blues are especially territorial. Some of the more exotic expensive ones from Asia have milder personalities.

Get decor that you like, and be prepared for them - even if you have just one in a tank - to burrow, upend, and completely rearrange anything they can possibly budge. Clean as you would for anyone else - weekly cleanup/water changes. They're really not big poopers, it's just more noticeable when you have no substrate or decor. They do need a filter in their tank(s).

Nerite snails are nice cleaners, but if your crays are orange or blue, any snail will probably end up as a snack.

Food: algae tabs, vegetables, raw or cooked shrimp (keep a frozen supply, as well as green peas, to run under hot water for defrosting before you toss in one pea per day, 1/4 of a shrimp once a week). There are very good crustacean foods out there; the sinking pelleted type is best as crays stay at the bottom a lot.

Speaking of staying at the bottom, they do like to jump, climb, and travel fast, so a lid is necessary. Take it from my neighbor who got up in the middle of the night once and heard a sickening crunch under his foot. I have also lost one due to climbing out of a lid hole that she hadn't explored in her whole year in there. One night she did, and we found her dead on the floor from the fall.

Speaking of feeding them shrimp, anyone you put in there is fair game for a meal. A fish or a shrimp has to be very fast and smart.We once bought a dozen cheap goldfish for our blue, to be company/toys/food, in that order. It worked out exactly as planned. Only the two fastest fish survived.

Decor we have used that crays loved: small 6" fake alligator skull, fake rock cave; one tank where the theme was The Dump: a little taco truck + some big tires for him to dig around. It's amazing what's out there in decor these days. Some of these pieces, however, have open spaces beneath, and if you don't plug them up with aquarium silicone your crays will go hide up in there and you'll never see them. It MUST be aquarium silicone, not regular household stuff or you will have a disaster on your hands (let my nightmare be your lesson).

If they're babies, you can expect a molt every 6-8 weeks for the first year and they will be bigger each time, so decorate for someone who will eventually be about 6" long. When they molt they disappear for a day or so, then emerge bigger, weak, and ravenous. They need a little extra protein at this time, and they also need to eat the exoskeleton they left behind - calcium is important. They'll get it in the crustacean sinking pellets, but they really need that exoskeleton boost.

Somewhere around here I have a picture of a happy crawfish in his tire...hmm, see if I can find it and post here...

Here it is. Might turn out sideways. This is Boudreaux.

Attachments

• IMG_0809.jpeg
    IMG_0809.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 41
Mine poops a lot and I can tell cause right now his tank is just plain. Altho I just cleaned it again earlier and it seems to have decreased. I've only had them for a week so maybe it's a change in their diet. Is cucumber really good for their molt? Could you give me some ideas on your feeding schedule? As for their tank I was thinking more of pebbles and flat rocks that kind of imitates a river. Also are blue more expensive than white ones? I thought it was the other way around.

And yeah he looks really happy just chilling on his tire. I'm satisfied when they eat the vegetables I feed them ��

It sounds like you would make a really cool looking rock river bed. But crayfish want sand. To test this, try one tank with rock and one with sand and decor. Then sit back and watch. Who is active, productive, busy? That's a happy crayfish.

Sand is sold at fish stores, even in colors.

Here in S. Louisiana, blue and orange crawfish are sold for around $20 when available. White is not, so I would have to order for more money and have it shipped. A white cray on black or blue sand would look awesome.

They need space: a 10 gallon would be absolute minimum for one. It really should be 20g (some here would say that anything under 20g is out of the question).

They don't eat much. This is where concerns about a poopy tank can be put to rest. Just a weekly water change and the occasional vac will do it. Unless you add other creatures (if you go my goldfish route, as mentioned previously, goldfish are very messy and you'd have to vacuum more often).

Daily food:
-Just a few (3-5) pellets of crustacean food. Hikari Crab Cuisine is the Cadillac of these. If you go for a different brand, make sure A.) It has as much or more protein as Hikari (over 30%), and B.) It contains no copper. Copper kills crustaceans.

-Algae tab. If it's a baby, 1/4 tab per day. A juvenile (has undergone 1-2 molts), 1/2 tab. Anyone older, a whole tab. It's like their cookie: watch them spin it around and nibble the edges.

-A green pea (or occasionally a carrot) from frozen. Run it under hot water to defrost, break the skin of the pea and squeeze out the inside so it will sink and be accessible. If you drop it in directly above them, it's fun to watch them dash out to grab and drag it into their lair.

This is another reason why sand is their element: all the little daily foods can easily drift between and beneath rocks, becoming inaccessible and rotting. On sand, the cray sees it or stumbles upon it exploring and, with her little legs, starts processing and eating this delightful surprise.

Twice a week:
-1/4 to 1/2 of a frozen shrimp. Run under hot water like the pea. Less may be needed if they don't rush out to claim it, more if it's after a molt. Just watch their behavior - they'll tell you.

Once a week:
-A blanched vegetable. Zucchini tops my list, followed by cucumber and romaine lettuce. I avoid broccoli, cauliflower, onion (too stinky, disintegrates fast). No one ever seems to like bell pepper or celery. Cuke does have some calcium, so does zuke, but their main source is that Hikari.

How to cut: just one 1/8" slice of zuke or cuke will do it. Lettuce, 1/8 of a leaf or a little less.

How to blanch: blanching is boiling for 1 minute. It's fast and easy. Boil a bit of water, like 1/2", in a small pan and place the veg in for one minute. This breaks the surface fibers to allow access for aquarium creatures. Pluck it out, let it cool. Don't rinse. You'll need a chopstick or skewer to poke through it, to anchor to the bottom, otherwise the veg will float.

You want your cray to have a reason to come out of his hidey-hole and hunt his food, nibbling and working at the vegetable until he can break it free and drag it back into his lair. They also like to play with the chopstick, so leaving it in for a day or two is okay. I don't know what that's about. They just really like to have fun and play.

Right now, it sounds like food/poop might be your #1 concern and environment is #2. But it's actually the reverse: they need lots to do, but they don't eat much. They need a sandy bottom with plenty of hiding places and moveable activities to keep busy all day (and especially at night: they are nocturnal, so don't be surprised if you wake up to find his entire realm turned upside down. If you put it back they way you carefully set it up, he'll get really pissed and work twice as hard the next night to put everything back the way HE wants HIS home. Try to see it his way: would you want some giant rearranging your furniture in a way that doesn't suit you?)

If you see a crawfish never doing anything, it's because they're not being given something to do. Setting up an environment that will keep them entertained (and then they'll definitely keep you entertained) is the primary step. Food is the lighter end of crawfish duties; it's easy to drop in their daily-weekly requirements. If you don't have time for a blanched vegetable every week, no big deal. Do it when you can. Some people don't feed vegetables at all. Just for some perspective.

The requirements for all varieties are generally the same. Some Asian varieties like a bit more vegetation, some individuals like more meat than veggies, but like children they'll let you know by ignoring what they don't want and clamoring for their favorites. BTW, one way a cray lets you know it's hungry is to stand on its hind legs and reach up when you come near. Aww, so cute, you think he's saying hello. Nope, he's saying "Feed me, you giant!"

Wew been a stressful week so haven't been able to log on. Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to look for suitable sand for them. I have a lot of pumice rocks so I used that for now and everytime I check on them it's been moved. Hehe hope they're having fun rearranging. And yeah I agree it's cute when they reach up for food. I was surprised he was able to catch one once. I did what you said and blanched some veggies, they ate the peas and carrots. I bought some cucumbers too cause I heard it had calcium, haven't had the chance to prepare it for them yet. Haven't added live food to their diet yet. Hope it's ok. Thinking of breeding some pond snails I got from some of my plants to feed to them.
Oh and I got a marbled cray just today. I heard you can change his color by giving him spirulina or discus feed so I'm curious to try it out.
One last question though. If I leave them alone will they mate? Or is there a time or condition's I have to fulfill to make them mate?

Oh also with the chopsticks, I see some people poking them with it trying to get them to raise their claws. Is that how they play? I kinda don't like to bother them too much even when I'm feeding them or cleaning their surroundings cause I don't want them to get stressed out.

You have the crawfish bug! Ha - they're fun, aren't they? I was thinking about the rocks you mentioned previously, and how cool they would look if you're trying to do a riverbed tank. I think setting big rocks on the floor, then filling sand around them, would be the way to keep crays from digging under and shifting the rocks so the little fellows can't be crushed or maimed.

If your local fish stores don't have suitable sand, do you have a big-box pet store there? They stock sand, often in colors, in the aquarium dept. It can also be found online...free shipping would definitely be a plus for several pounds of sand :squarewink:

Forgot to add spinach to the list of foods. It has calcium too.

I haven't had a marbled crawfish! If you're able to take pictures, it would be great to see the color changes. I do know they are an extremely territorial and aggressive species. Very competitive - they will go after any shrimp, fish, or other cray you put in with them, so they're known as solitary gals. Don't worry, they're too busy digging to be lonely.

Poking with a stick? You're right, that's wrong. If you poke animals at the zoo with a stick, you know what the attendants do? Throw you out! If I poke you with a chopstick, I bet you'll raise your arms to fend me off too! Your instincts are right-on, keep up the good work. We'd love to see the tank(s) you set up.

Sorry, forgot to answer your question about mating. Nature will take its course if you leave them to it. Unfortunately, nature also dictates that crays fight to the death too. So they bear watching. My best suggestion is to look up 'mating crawfish' online and hit 'images'. Then do the same for 'fighting crawfish' and compare the pictures. Don't be surprised if they look similar. So it'll be up to you to monitor the situation and separate your children if they're fighting.

The marbled cray is a different situation. They're all females, they reproduce asexually, and they need to be alone anyway or you run the risk of her killing anyone else. They've actually been banned in some states and countries because they can reproduce rather quickly. So if she or her offspring become too much to manage, please re-home them instead of releasing them into the wild. It's that releasing into the wild thing, where they're invasive and territorial and voracious, that got them banned in so many places.

This is where bigger tanks come in handy. Two or three in a 20g will inevitably cause territory disputes. In a 55g, way less. (Not the marbled - she just needs her own apartment).

About the live food. Plenty of people have crawfish tanks with no other living beings in them. No live plants, no shrimp, fish, or snails. The crays are fine. Besides, some of these owners started out with live "company" - but the crawfish ate them all! So more can be bought, sort of as a treat (sorry, snails and shrimp and fish). And...repeat.

This is the one I got earlier. So that's why they kept telling me to make sure I seperate him. I got a pair of Dwarf blue crays earlier too and they said it's fine to put them in with smaller fish but kept reminding me to seperate the Marbled one ?

Attachments

• received_971150583599241.jpeg
    received_971150583599241.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 28
I was thinking of getting these one's too but they were kinda expensive and I wanted to make sure I get better at taking care of the ones I have 1st. Dark Knight (looks more like blue tho) and Volcano Cherax Destructor imported from Thailand. So cool ?

Attachments

• received_743737510317874.jpeg
    received_743737510317874.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20220522_030539.jpg
    IMG_20220522_030539.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 22
Wow, who is this wonderful crayfish resource near you? You wouldn't happen to be near Aquatic Arts in Indiana, would you? They have many unusual species. Also, good advice listed with each for needs, feeds, water requirements, etc. I've bought from them. Great people.

How many do you have now? What varieties? Your source should be able to recommend a place to get sand, or even sell you some of their own.

I see some good-sized aquariums in your future. They need more horizontal-type space - tall narrow tanks would be wasted on them, as they primarily roam the bottom. Think low rectangular, like the classic old fashioned tanks still available in pet stores and even some Walmarts.

Btw, that marbled will be quite an escape artist. A fully blocked-off lid (use screen) will be essential for her. As long as you're doing her tank, might as well do them all. It's heartbreaking to lose someone due to "it probably won't happen, why bother?"

What's your plan for number/sizes of tanks, at this point? Just because 2 or 3 are getting along now doesn't mean they'll remain friendly once they mature. With each molt they undergo a change toward adulthood and a more aggressive personality. Also, since they're weak and vulnerable after a molt, they are more vulnerable to attacks by their tank mates. They're made of delicious meat and crunchy, calcium-rich shells: what's not to love for an aggressive carnivore?

People do keep 2+ crays to a tank successfully...maybe someone here will jump in with advice on how they do it.

Nah I'm from Asia. I've got some garden soil and some masonry sand that I used for a quarantine tub for my plants. It working great, problem is it's too fine to use on the crays. I have some Aqua soil, pumice rocks and some aquarium sand left from my scaping. Here I put them on temporary tubs. I wanted to monitor how big my Marbled gets before I decide where to move him. For the Dwarfs I'm trying to decide whether I should put them together with my shrimp or add them to the 15 gal I'm fixing up. I wanna see if I can mate them. I have a 15 gal tub that I'm planning to turn into a pond that I'll use for my female Clarkii if I can manage to get them to mate. I'm delaying fixing up my 15 gal till I can build a fish rack but monsoon season came too early and soaked all the wood I was trying to prepare outside ? building an 8 foot rack inside my room.
My Marbled was already having fun digging around earlier and the dwarfs were exploring all the crevices of the coral I got for them. Gonna add some guppy grass that I managed to grow in my quarantine tank later so they'll have something they can munch on if they get hungry.

Attachments

• IMG_20220523_181616.jpg
    IMG_20220523_181616.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20220523_181709.jpg
    IMG_20220523_181709.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 28
So you're at the source of the exotic varieties! Sellers here import from your region.

Maybe there's someone near you who's already raising and breeding, who can recommend where to get sand or a suitable local substrate, and how they structure their enclosures. The deeper the sand, the better. Two inches is a great depth for their digging impulses.

Thanks for the pictures. When you get their habitats built, it would be great to see what you've accomplished!

I just used aquarium sand they seem to like it so I bought more. Was just able to mate my two red Clarkii the other night and my female is acting weird. She has a big appetite now and keeps raising her claws to ask for food. I read that you can't really overfeed them cause they'll just stop if they've had enough but I'm still trying to be cautious. My problem now is my dwarf Cray. He just lost a claw and idk how. He's all alone in that enclosure and I can't find his claw anywhere. I even checked the cave in the coral that he likes staying in. I'm already down cause his partner died a week ago near his cave. Idk if they fought cause there weren't any visual injuries. There were also a lot of caves and spaces for both of them and she used to stay on the other side but after she discovered his hiding spot she kept roaming around it. My Marbled is doing great though. She's happy in her place and already rearranged the rocks and dug a couple of caves. His personality is already showing after she molted. I really like my red clarkii. She's a little less shy now and always asking for food, raising her claws ��

My Marbled. Planning to sell her babies to I can get the more exotic ones. I really like those big black yabbys but I haven't seen any here. Idk why but ARC's are kinda popular here. They're the most advertised by home breeders on facebook.

Attachments

• IMG_20220601_211026.jpg
    IMG_20220601_211026.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 33
Btw how many do you have in a single tank? I think I prefer to keep them all seperate. I don't wanna wake up to a massacre with one of them losing a claw or something. Except for the dwarves cause I read they aren't that aggressive.

Your red Clarkii: if the mating was successful ( and even if it wasn't) she needs protein. Try giving her 1/3 of a shrimp (defrost in warm water, it will take just a minute) and also a small algae tab today. See if she's still filled up and content tomorrow. If she's asking for more, give her the same tomorrow. They like to bury food and come back for it, but they do come back for it. So whether she's devouring it now or saving it for later, she'll eat it.

What I'm trying to say is, don't worry that she's hiding a pile of rot while continuing to demand more. She's not. She'll eat whatever you give her, and stop asking when she's satisfied.

Your dwarf cray: When the other died, what happened to his body? Did you remove it, or did the surviving one drag it away to eat it? Eating it would indicate there was a fight and this one was the victor.

In either case, don't worry about the missing claw. It happens. That claw could've gotten stuck under something (a good reason to not have big rocks unless they are placed firmly on the bottom, with sand poured in around). Or the lost claw could be the result of a molt. Your cray would eat the exoskeleton after the molt; it could've eaten that claw too. They are very good at burying and hiding both of these, so unless you empty the tank to the bottom you may not find it. But please don't! That would upset the cray, for your curiosity.

Sacrificing a limb to survive is called Autotomy. It will grow back, over several molts. If the cray is a baby this will take a few months. If it's an adult it may take over a year, as they molt less often. The claw will be small for quite awhile as it grows. That missing claw is your crawfish's way of staying alive in a "situation".

I keep only one to a tank. Others do keep more; maybe someone else will chime in here with their experience of how to do it without a massacre.

Back
Top Bottom