New shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim532

Aquarium Advice Activist
Per the wife's request! I started cycling a tank for shrimp only today. I'll of course start with red cherry shrimp, but I'd like to know what other breeds I can keep that won't breed with the red cherry shrimp and will also coexist well with each other.
I seen one chart that kinda shows which ones won't breed but i just want to make sure they don't bully each other or one doesn't become lunch for the other.

Also hearing people's personal experience is better than reading a chart.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Once you feel more shrimp savvy you can try CRS. Crystals are more sensitive, but mine have been very hardy once established.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you feel more shrimp savvy you can try CRS. Crystals are more sensitive, but mine have been very hardy once established.

I like the crystal red shrimp, If those will coexist with the cherries I will give that a shot. I stole some filter media from my existing aquarium to get the cycle going, I'll be adding some driftwood and java moss this week as well.

Cherry and crystal shrimp don't do well together, because they need different water conditions. Crystals prefer acidic, softer water, Neocaridina [ cherry] need hard, alkaline water. But there other species you can keep with cherries. One is the Sunkist shrimp, a Caridina species that is orange, same size, same water, but different species, and can't cross. Also has larvae, so getting baby Sunkists is unlikely.
Babaulti shrimp come in green, and sometimes other colours. Also same size, same water conditions and they do have live babies like Cherry shrimp do. Nice little guys to have.

You can also get Fan shrimp, which are filter feeders. Several species, mostly larger sizes, but extremely peaceful. They have no claws and don't fight with anything. Bamboo shrimp, can get to four inches. The smallest fan shrimp is Atyopsis spinipes, and that one comes in at least 3 forms. Golden Fan shrimp looks exactly like a Bamboo, but is the size of a Cherry when grown. Wild form is the same size, usually pale yellowish, with faint striping on the sides, smaller fans. I forget the other one just now. Can all be kept together, I've done so for years.

There are other fan shrimp too.. Vampires, very shy, get to five or six inches, again, very peaceful, oh, and there's Green lace, that's the other A. spinipes I couldn't recall.. females are about two inches long with a neat green pattern, the males are tiny, smaller than cherries, with a completely different pattern.

I've kept all these, as well as Amano and Ghost shrimp, in one tank, and they all get along. Though Ghost and Amano shrimp will, on occasion, eat a new born or very young cherry or other juvie shrimp. IF they can catch it. Give them plenty of hiding places, plenty of plants, and very few will be eaten if you get Ghosts or Amanos.

You do feed them, of course. They don't need much so avoid overfeeding at all costs. They can in fact live for a month or more with no feeding at all in an established tank. Mine always really liked shrimp pellets.. which are not made to feed to shrimp, but are made OF shrimp, for fish. Being scavengers, shrimp are happy to eat anything dead, including their own kind. Normal behaviour for them.

Fan shrimp all have larvae too, so you won't get babies from any of them, sadly. But they can live quite a long time, five years or so, where cherries average about 1.5, maybe 2 at the outside.

Edit. Sorry, my goof. Green Lace Fan shrimp are not a variant of A. spinipes.. they are a different species, Atyoida pilipes.

Hmm. I've kept RCS and CRS together for years. My CRS did breed. Might have bred more in a species tank ? But seemed very healthy. I tried to keep the tank more towards CRS specs. RCS went from 15 to over 100 shrimp in 3 months approx.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415205970.170425.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1415206034.358824.jpg

I know a guy locally here who spent a few years adapting a strain of crystal red shrimp to live in our tap water. He was successful at it too.. his shrimp were breeding and surviving just fine in regular, alkaline, hard tap water. Too bad he got bitten by the salt bug and sold the shrimp off.

It's not impossible to keep them together, but for someone just starting with shrimp I sure would not advise it, and there are so many other species you can keep with cherries that are just fine with the same general parameters.

Back
Top Bottom