Red cherry shrimp ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi I will soon be getting red cherry shrimp for my ten gallon that currently houses 12 neon tetras. I know that that they will breed but was wondering how fast because I don't know what to do with all the babies that will eventually accumulate also how many should I add all help is appreciated thanks in advance.

calfishguy said:
Hi I will soon be getting red cherry shrimp for my ten gallon that currently houses 12 neon tetras. I know that that they will breed but was wondering how fast because I don't know what to do with all the babies that will eventually accumulate also how many should I add all help is appreciated thanks in advance.

The shrimp babies will be eaten by the tetras. So unless you have a lot of hiding places, there will be no babies.

Okay then I could grow them up in my small 2.5 until I have my desired amount. How big do they have to be until the tetras won't eat them

calfishguy said:
Okay then I could grow them up in my small 2.5 until I have my desired amount. How big do they have to be until the tetras won't eat them

Probably at least 2/3 of an inch

calfishguy said:
When should the shrimp be moved to the 2.5.

IMO, you should just move the whole pregnant RCS over when she's about ready to give birth. The baby's are very very small, you might have a problem catching them in the main tank.

I'm looking to get some RCS soon. I hope you keep this thread going with updates, and pics maybe? These first 8 posts were informative, awesome. Thank you

General consensus is that they hold their eggs for around 30 days. Their babies are incredibly tiny when born so almost impossible to see or catch to move. I would put her in the 2.5 asap if you wish to raise them there.

Back
Top Bottom