Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2018, 01:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Snails?

TLR - thinking about snails for my gravel tanks, whatís your experience?

I have 2 20gallon tanks, one a hex and one a 20tall. Just started cycling another 20tall with a waterfall I built inside.... and a friend just gave me a 20long for my birthday. Soooooo many tanks! All the tanks have that natural stone looking gravel and sand pits. All the tanks have plants in them as well. Just the basic low maintenance java ferns, anubias, and some swords all scattered around indiscriminately.
In the hex I have a gourami, 3 mollies, and some ghost shrimp. The other fully cycled tank has my shy gourami,7 guppies, and some more shrimp. No fish in the 3rd tank until itís cycled. Obvs.
Iíve noticed that both of my tanks could use something, and I was thinking snails!
Iíve been reading all evening about the different types and what they do in the aquarium. Iíve been leaning toward the Malaysian Trumpet snails. They look so gosh darn pretty! But Iíve read on a couple of forums that they can have a massive population explosion so I was wanting to hear from you guys if itís worth it. Or if there is another type of snail that you would suggest?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1544.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	308588

Old 04-24-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautMonster View Post
TLR - thinking about snails for my gravel tanks, whatís your experience?

I have 2 20gallon tanks, one a hex and one a 20tall. Just started cycling another 20tall with a waterfall I built inside.... and a friend just gave me a 20long for my birthday. Soooooo many tanks! All the tanks have that natural stone looking gravel and sand pits. All the tanks have plants in them as well. Just the basic low maintenance java ferns, anubias, and some swords all scattered around indiscriminately.
In the hex I have a gourami, 3 mollies, and some ghost shrimp. The other fully cycled tank has my shy gourami,7 guppies, and some more shrimp. No fish in the 3rd tank until itís cycled. Obvs.
Iíve noticed that both of my tanks could use something, and I was thinking snails!
Iíve been reading all evening about the different types and what they do in the aquarium. Iíve been leaning toward the Malaysian Trumpet snails. They look so gosh darn pretty! But Iíve read on a couple of forums that they can have a massive population explosion so I was wanting to hear from you guys if itís worth it. Or if there is another type of snail that you would suggest?

Attachment 308588

Snails are great! My son currently has a mystery snail-and yes, it is reproducing like CRAZY!...that being said his tank stays super clean and when it starts getting crowded he puts some babies in some other tanks...sometimes they become a snack very cool to find the egg sacks and count babies though lol

Old 04-24-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends on the snail, I have Malaysians in my tank, they arent as fun to me as mysteries and ramshorns, but I like them. They do a good job stirring up my sand. The explosions in population is almost always due to over feeding, so can be controlled. With the smaller snails it is a given for the most part that once they are in your tank, they will always be in your tank lol. I've liked the look of rabbit snails but have read they munch plants like crazy so have never invested
Old 04-24-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would like to add to the ecosystem in the tanks... and not have all my plants eaten.
Would the Malaysians be ok in gravel?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

MTS do fine in gravel.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Mystery snails can be a really good addition they don't eat plants but might munch on decaying plant matter or clean off leaves. Like to eat omnivore wafers and some veggies.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

This is a Malaysian Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2977.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	308692

This is a red/pink ramshorn Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3054.jpg
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	308693

This is a Mystery
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2163.jpg
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	308694

IMHO itís easier to control population with Mysteries.

Tags
snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com