Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeautMonster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
TL:DR - thinking about snails for my gravel tanks, what’s your experience?

I have 2 20gallon tanks, one a hex and one a 20tall. Just started cycling another 20tall with a waterfall I built inside.... and a friend just gave me a 20long for my birthday. Soooooo many tanks! All the tanks have that natural stone looking gravel and sand pits. All the tanks have plants in them as well. Just the basic low maintenance java ferns, anubias, and some swords all scattered around indiscriminately.
In the hex I have a gourami, 3 mollies, and some ghost shrimp. The other fully cycled tank has my shy gourami,7 guppies, and some more shrimp. No fish in the 3rd tank until it’s cycled. Obvs.
I’ve noticed that both of my tanks could use something, and I was thinking snails!
I’ve been reading all evening about the different types and what they do in the aquarium. I’ve been leaning toward the Malaysian Trumpet snails. They look so gosh darn pretty! But I’ve read on a couple of forums that they can have a massive population explosion so I was wanting to hear from you guys if it’s worth it. Or if there is another type of snail that you would suggest?

IMG_1544.jpg

TL:DR - thinking about snails for my gravel tanks, what’s your experience?

I have 2 20gallon tanks, one a hex and one a 20tall. Just started cycling another 20tall with a waterfall I built inside.... and a friend just gave me a 20long for my birthday. Soooooo many tanks! All the tanks have that natural stone looking gravel and sand pits. All the tanks have plants in them as well. Just the basic low maintenance java ferns, anubias, and some swords all scattered around indiscriminately.
In the hex I have a gourami, 3 mollies, and some ghost shrimp. The other fully cycled tank has my shy gourami,7 guppies, and some more shrimp. No fish in the 3rd tank until it’s cycled. Obvs.
I’ve noticed that both of my tanks could use something, and I was thinking snails!
I’ve been reading all evening about the different types and what they do in the aquarium. I’ve been leaning toward the Malaysian Trumpet snails. They look so gosh darn pretty! But I’ve read on a couple of forums that they can have a massive population explosion so I was wanting to hear from you guys if it’s worth it. Or if there is another type of snail that you would suggest?

View attachment 308588

Snails are great! My son currently has a mystery snail-and yes, it is reproducing like CRAZY!...that being said his tank stays super clean and when it starts getting crowded he puts some babies in some other tanks...sometimes they become a snack [emoji851] very cool to find the egg sacks and count babies though lol

Depends on the snail, I have Malaysians in my tank, they arent as fun to me as mysteries and ramshorns, but I like them. They do a good job stirring up my sand. The explosions in population is almost always due to over feeding, so can be controlled. With the smaller snails it is a given for the most part that once they are in your tank, they will always be in your tank lol. I've liked the look of rabbit snails but have read they munch plants like crazy so have never invested

I would like to add to the ecosystem in the tanks... and not have all my plants eaten.
Would the Malaysians be ok in gravel?

Mystery snails can be a really good addition they don't eat plants but might munch on decaying plant matter or clean off leaves. Like to eat omnivore wafers and some veggies.

This is a Malaysian IMG_2977.jpg

This is a red/pink ramshorn IMG_3054.jpg

This is a Mystery
IMG_2163.jpg

IMHO it’s easier to control population with Mysteries.

Back
Top Bottom