Will Rasbora Heteromorpha go after baby rcs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Will Rasbora Heteromorpha eat baby RCS? What are some other fish that will not go after shrimp and shrimplets?

If they can fit in their mouths then they will probably eat them.
Perhaps nano fish such as CPDs will work.
Otos won't eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Too true. Fish do have feeding preferences though, and if you have species that prefer surface feeding, usually meaning they are insectivores in nature, they may not look much for food on the bottom. Mid level feeders may also not actively seek food at the bottom. Bottom feeders, like cories, are another story, though I have pygmy cories in with some yellow shrimp and there are still baby shrimp. Not as many as in some other tanks though, so I wouldn't be surprised if the little cories are taking some babies.

I've successfully kept several species of danio with cherry shrimp and while I don't doubt some babies were eaten, the population of shrimp grew steadily despite the fish. I had cories in this tank as well as kuhli loaches, and the shrimp still increased in numbers. 29G tank, loads of plants, wood and rock for hiding spots.

Micro fish may be unable to eat anything other than newborns, it does depend on the size of the fish's mouth, though micropredators are quite capable of tearing larger items apart to eat them. If they catch a small enough shrimp, they would likely consume it.

Just for example, I have Strawberry rasboras, a micropredator, and mid level feeder by preference, with cherry shrimp. If these fish are eating any babies, I'm not seeing it and I have baby shrimp all over the tank. Lots of them. Tons of plants, thick and lush, the babies are crawling on leaves all over and the fish are schooling, so they stick together and rarely inhabit the upper water levels where most of the little shrimp are grazing.

CPDs are small, and feed at mid level too. No guarantee they won't eat shrimp, but they are not likely to eat a great many of them, as their behaviour is similar to the Strawberry rasboras, though male CPD spend more time arguing with each other, being fairly territorial. Heavy plantings break sight lines and reduce the aggression, as well as providing hiding places for shrimp.

Otos are just about the only species everyone agrees on that won't eat shrimp, because they appear to be obligate herbivores. I also have dwarf chain loaches and they don't appear to eat shrimp either. Not at all aggressive, and tend to school tightly, so they're probably ok with most shrimp. It also helps if the fish are well fed, so they don't get hungry enough to go looking for food in places they usually wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom