Algae eaters with goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chachi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Are there any algae eaters I can put in with my koi and goldfish? Or will they get eaten up?

Attachments

• P1030750.jpg
    P1030750.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 282
I got a bristlenose pleco with my goldies. 99% of the time he sucked up against the acrylic or the driftwood and doesn't get bothered.

There is a couple of options but going from the looks of the tank in that picture I wouldn't suggest adding anything else. Its looks pretty heavily stocked already.

We're here to help and I hate telling people they cant or shouldn't add more fish, but in your case unfortunately its one of those situations, i think you're over stocked and under filtered. Try doing more/larger water changes, high nitrates from lack of fresh water can cause algae growth to spiral. The fish themselves look plump and well fed, try cutting back alittle when feeding, this will also lower nitrates in the long run which could also help with algae growth.

I like to say something positive and i like the fact you have a bare bottom for easy cleaning, that's the way to go in a tank like that.

Last edited:
We're here to help and I hate telling people they cant or shouldn't add more fish, but in your case unfortunately its one of those situations, i think you're over stocked and under filtered. Try doing more/larger water changes, high nitrates from lack of fresh water can cause algae growth to spiral. The fish themselves look plump and well fed, try cutting back alittle when feeding, this will also lower nitrates in the long run which could also help with algae growth.

I like to say something positive and i like the fact you have a bare bottom for easy cleaning, that's the way to go in a tank like that.

Agreed..what size tank is that? Looks way overstocked. :/

I don't keep goldfish, but I have heard of alage eaters (plecos) really enjoying the slime coat on goldfish too once they get a taste and can actually kill them.

The behavior isn't fatal but it is stressful to the fish. In this situation, I would not use biological control. Frequent water changes would be the best solution.

Go easy on me folks, I inherited these fish in a pond when I bought the house and to ensure their longevity I brought them in for the winter.

The tank is 110 gallons, the filter is rated for that and I try and vacuum once or twice a week. Now that I have bought a water changer it will be a lot easier than the bucket method.

How often would you suggest I change the water and how much at one time?

Do you have a test kit? The amount of nitrate present is usually a good indicator of how much water needs to be changed. At a guess you are probably looking at at least 2x 50% weekly.

Ok thanks, that's what I've been trying to do based on the colour of the tank and poop that I can see. The fish get nervous when I drop the level too low, I think they are worried about another ride in the bucket!

The test kit showed ok levels on everything but I like it a bit cleaner. I don't know how they lived in the pond with no filter for so many years winters included.

Back
Top Bottom