Can Koi eat other fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkfalcon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 butterfly Koi and they're still in their medium size right now. But I've been experiencing a lot of Danios missing from the tank. Now even my snow white is missing (its size is small enough to be eaten by koi even in their medium size) so I suspect the Koi. They're the only ones who can eat them. My other fishes are not predators and they can attack my snow white but I will see its dead body now, and I can't find it anywhere. So I think it got eaten by the Koi

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had the same problem with my growing goldfish and my smaller danios. I'm going to say yes they can and they will if it fits in its mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had the same problem with my growing goldfish and my smaller danios. I'm going to say yes they can and they will if it fits in its mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I see, no wonder I have fewer males in the tank. Since male danios are smaller than the female ones. Therefore I moved the ones that seem fit in their ones. But now the other tanks are over crowded due to the "migrations" :v

Little fish eat tiny fish. Big fish eat little fish. Huge fish eat big fish. It's as simple as that.

Little fish eat tiny fish. Big fish eat little fish. Huge fish eat big fish. It's as simple as that.

At first I thought koi don't eat other fish. So most fish are omnivores I guess?? Or mostly karnivores??

At first I thought koi don't eat other fish. So most fish are omnivores I guess?? Or mostly karnivores??

Whether or not a fish is a herbivore doesn't determine if it will eat smaller fish. If it looks like food, they'll eat it.

Back
Top Bottom