Goldfish in tropical tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freyar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would it be ok to have my goldfish in a tropical tank for a few weeks while it's own tank is cycling? The tank is at 76 degrees. It would probably be for 2 weeks. I have it in a 5 gallon but I feel sorry for it. Could I move it?

76 really isn't too hot for a goldfish. It's a little on the warm side but it will handle it for a couple of weeks. On the other hand it would be OK in the 5 gallon for a couple of weeks but you may have to do water changes often depending on the size of the goldfish.

Have you considered seeding the new tank with media from your established tank? You could likely just put your goldfish in the new tank and test daily.

He's six inches long and can barely turn around :/

Move the goldfish to the new tank. Laser's suggestion is a good one.

What was the goldfish in before?

Before the 5 gallon? I got him from my piano teachers husband.

I think putting a goldfish into a tropical tank for a couple weeks is far better than having a goldfish in a 4 gallon tank for a year. What tank are you cycling? I've seen on your threads a 55 and a 15

I think you will be okay keeping him in the tropical tank for a little bit. Compared to some peoples goldfish tanks that is way better! Before I knew better I had a goldfish in a tropical tank for a few months and it did fine.

He will be fine short term as long as the tropical tank is of a sufficient size. What you will need to watch when you move him are your parameters. You will likely experience a mini-cycle due to the hefty bioload of a 6in goldfish and will need to do extra water changes until your bb stabilize. If you have any small fish or shrimp, you may want to move them into the 5g to prevent them from becoming dinner.

Back
Top Bottom