Hillstream Loach Experts Get in touch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Hillstream Loach seems to be fine living off whatever his eating in the tank, I cant find anywhere this freshwater raphasy gel for fish. I have tried growing algae in the window seal on smooth rocks no luck nothing grows. He doesn't actively go for anything I drop in. But I will continue to drop the odd algae pellet in and cucumber cause you never know.

Also He seems to be doing fine with my two fancy goldfish, I have two filters, a large skull which has a bubble pump in it. So despite the fact I know its not ideal for a hillstream loach to be living with an Oranda and a BlackMoor in a 45gallon tank. I am trying my best to give each what it needs I have filters pointing in op direct not in direct line so they create a circlular water movement, so nice for loach also two diffusors breaking the surface helping oxygenate the tank. My hillstream loach loves my skull ornament cause its smooth and my powerful bubble pump creates even more oxygenation which is good for both my fancies and my loach.

Gravel or sand?
Tank temp?
Does he hang around on the glass where the water comes out of filter and flows onto him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

I have gravel
temp is room temp so nice and cool.

He mainly sits on a skull ornament i have that has bubble pumped through it. In the eve sometimes he sits behind the filter.

I still throw algae pellets in for him, although i suspect my goldies eat them. I leave brocolli and cucumber occasionally over night and give live bloodworms and shrimps so he may pick up some of that. But i would love to find a food that he will love to eat.

He really needs sand.
He might be able to use gravel, I don't really know but mine loves the sand, he sifts through it for food, which is supposed to be his main food source
Mine also eats flakes that hit the bottom. But only if he comes across it during his travels.
He sits on the skull because one it is flat, and two the bubbles must create flow around there.
I've noticed that they don't stop hanging out where extra water flow is until about 72 degrees.

Sand is a good start.

I think in the long term i may move him into his own tank, but i have a flat so space is running out, as i have two 3ft plus tanks already. I heard that they perfer cooler temperatures so i believe 72 would be far too warm for him. I am thinking of getting him a long thin 3FT tank, so i can get him some friends. He has always sat on the skull rock even before i got a bubble pump put in. he does suck up the walls of the tank quite alot too. He seems healthy, he seems to have a bit of a rountine he is most out and about in the morning on skull all day and in eve behind a filter then back on skull again. He rarely goes on the gravel that is true and i agree i think sand would be better for him. I think overall eventually moving him would be best then i could get him a powerhead. My biggest problem is where to put another tank the only space i have is on a balcony which is enclosed like a another room, it gets quite cool out there though. It would be out of direct sunlight if i put the tank under the window in the shaded part so the summer wouldnt be a problem and it stays cool most of the time. I would just worry in the winter it can drop quite cold

I think they can go down to quite low temperatures i can always monitor it. I was thinking of getting him a 120litre thats about 25 gallons do you think that is big enough for him and maybe one or two more hillstream loaches. I will def get him sand in a new tank and a power head. i have seen a tank on Amazon for 150 for 120litres. il either put him in that or put him in my thinner longer 97litre tank and put my danios and minnows in the 120litre.

I have now got 6 hill stream loach in 110 litres. At this point they seem to be doing well. They are fussy though! They really don't like nitrate. The key points on these fish, oxygen levels (this is why the temp needs to be low, I think the fish suffer from the lack of oxygen naturally found in high temp water)
High flow, not sure how important this is, most places suggest this, 10-12 times turnover per hour.

The fish seem fine, I still don't feed them?
I manage the tank at 0 nitrate with a 12 litre water change every other day and a proper clean at the weekend. Slightly hard water (London special!) it's pretty much ideal from the tap, dechlorinated naturally!:rolleyes:
Just watch your nitrates, I see you're London, Thames water? I'm on Thames water (nearly slough-way out west!), nitrate spikes can be a problem after rainfall for me here. There are a few options available to you to cure this.

More water is more stable, there are plenty of fish that will live alongside them in a big tank, weather loach, danio, white mountain minnow? Plenty of good recordings of these species being kept alongside. Look for rheophilic species.

If you are interested, my tank set up can be found in the links below.

My friend keeps hers several species in a 75g. Lots of plants. On gravel...they rarely touch the substrate so I don't think sand is needed.

She has lots of large smooth river rock to hang out on.

Rapashy gel food is the favorite. She also swaps in algae covered rocks that she grows in the window. She leaves lights on longer to promote Algae growth as well.

She has at least 3 species of Hillstreams as well as other loaches and White Clouds.

2 big filters so lots of turnover with the water. No air bubbles . Don't need it. The filters agitate water just fine.

Tank is room temp in a shady spot, no direct sun.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398884494.278580.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398884523.524896.jpg

She got her siwellias as babies from a woman who bred them. Nancy hopes to breed her Hillstreams as well.

She also has gastromyzon (sp?) as well as another species.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The spotty gastromyzon looks like ctenocephalus could be scitulus. Depends on the tail.

The other one looks similar to G. ocellatus (two pictures).

Hi guys Hillstream Loach update.

I have moved my Hillstream Loach out of my 45 gallon tank with the two fancies into my 22.5 gallon tank. He is now living with 5 cloud Minnows and 5 Danios. I have brought them a Maxi Jet Powerhead 900 l/hr. I have noticed since putting him into this tank and with a powerhead he seems happier and is alot more active. I am thinking of getting him a friend another Hillstream Loach. Is there enough room? Let us know what you think. I have moved my two platys from this tank into there own heated 65litre tank. So now just have the two fancies in a 45gallon tank. So hopefully everyone is happy and all in the right or as close as i can get ideal temps and environment. Plan on getting some more smooth rock to put in the tank for the Hillstream Loach.

P.s My danios and Minnows seem to like the Powerhead too and having fun in the new faster flowing water. Should i up there feeding as i guess they will be burning more energy against a faster flowing water. I only feed them once a day in the morning, variety of flakes, bloodworms with veg extra now and then.

Hillstream Loach update. My hillstream loach Falcor now lives in a 27gallon coldwater tank. He has rocks and 2 hillstream loach friend esketban and Jareth. They have 3danios and 4 cloud minnows for company and two filters togerher 300phr, a powerhead and a long air stone bubble pump. Still don't see them eat but they do LOVE cucumber. :) They are happy and after my danios and minnows live out there life span i think im going to go species only

Back
Top Bottom