new pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishstixs05

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have never had a pond before, and i want to do this one right. I have an idea of using an already built planter box . Its deminsions are 83x48x12, and each side is made of two six inch peicesof wood. I want to dig it down a further 6 to 12 in. and put ling on it. What are your guys advice on the idea, filter, plants, substrate, sigh and all the rest that i need to no. TIA!

I would make the pond at least 2-3 foot deep for starters, and make it as big as you think you will ever want it. I had that problem and ended up with 2 new ponds.

I think you were already saying that you would do this, but I have heard of people building boxes above a whole they put in the ground and have a pond that is basically above ground. You would need to know that it was done by someone knowledgeable enough to make a box that could hold back all of that water.

You can put netting over the pond to keep them out, or what I do is just skim constantly. Make sure you get leaves out quickly in the fall or your water turns to tea.

This sounds like a good thread to hijack! I have all the same questions as well.
My friend gave me what I think is a 300 gallon rubbermaid pond and a liner (roughly 4.5x3x3). I have a Rio 1400 to use or a 2100 (if its neccesary).
I have an idea for a filter on the bottom. I have a rubber maid box about the size of a shoe box. I want to drill the top full of holes run some pvc in it put poly fiber in it and attach it to the pump. I will coat it in silicone and roll it in river rock as well to hide it. run the pump up to a little rock structure and the water path will follow a little 2foot or so rapids down to the pond. Sound like a plan? Oddly enough I've never even seen a pond setup before so this is only thoeretical for me. Sound like a plan?
1. Will the waterfall act as biological filter if I run it down river rock a foot or two?
2. Should I throw some bioballs into the eqation somewhere.
3. Should I use the drain at the bottom to run my plumbing or is it better to just
run it up the side and try to hide it? (I know this ones an opinion question) :?:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/displayreview.php?brand=Helen

Read this book, it's the best one I know of for prospective pond builders.

Scott, as for your idea, I'm not into it much. Bottom fitlers are hard to acces for maintenence, and they quickly become clogged. Most folks have the filter out of the pond, at the top of the waterfall.

Ponds are great fun, very satisfying, but my advice is read all you can before you touch a shovel. Undoing mistakes with a pond is a bloody nightmare! Better to know what you are doing, and get it right the first time.

Thanks. Just the advise I need. The filter would have been retrievable pretty easily just not explained in design. I would like to put a pre filter of some sort as to not foul my impeller. Thought as long as i'm prefiltering just make it the filter. I also thought of a filter at the top of the falls and some bioballs with some creative cement and rock work. So how about that biological would the rocks suffice if they were porous enough to have a lot of surface area.

So how about that biological would the rocks suffice if they were porous enough to have a lot of surface area.

I think yes. My stream is about 11-12 feet long, I think it does a major amoutn of biofiltration, so much surface area on all the rocks for th bacteria to grow on.

Back
Top Bottom