new pond imported ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

douggiestyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok i got some ick in the pond had to detroy one fish (only fish) should i treat the pond for ick or just wait a couple of weeks before buying a new fish. btw i have a couple of frogs hanging out in the pond as well as some tadpoles so obviously i do not want to hurt them.

thanks
im all ears

doug

It's not neccessary to down a fish for ich. It is treatable and you most certainly should treat the pond for ich. If you have inverts in the pond like snails and crayfish, go for a natural method of treatment...MelaFix and garlic soaked foods will help keep freeswimming ich off the fish while it kills the parasite. Increased salts in the pond also help.

It's good practice to test nitrates when parasites, wounds, or disease are present in the system. High nitrate levels make it difficult to treat for any of these things. If nitrates are high, you will need to tend to lowering those levels for treatment to be reasonably successful. If ich persists after two weeks of treatment, switch the medication to something with a different active ingredient.

nah i had to destroy it. it was suffering terribly. the ick was litterly all over it. the fish was gilling like crazy and flipping and lying on its side and baking in the sun and unable to control its movement. im sure the ick had infected its gills and was slowly suffacating the fish.

i dont believe in folk remedies like garlick as most evidence to thier success are anecdotal at best.

will pass on any treatment and wait for the ick to cycle out. im happy with only frogs and tadpoles.

If the fih had ich that bad, yeah then it's time to say "good night".

Garlic is not a 'folk' remedy. It's not even meant as a remedy. It's not suppose to kill the parasite, but protects the animal from more parasites from latching on. It gives the animal a bad smell and a bad taste. Just as how garlic works for dogs and cats and even us humans with fleas and mosquitos. Doesn't kill 'em, but they find lunch elsewhere if they can...lol.

Having amphibians makes treatment difficult anyway. If you don't have any fish, the ich will die off from starvation eventually. If you do have any fish at all, then you need something or else the ich will continue in the system. An extra coating of slime on the fish may make it difficult for the ich to breathe and may allow it to fall off the fish. The garlic would keep the parasite off the fish until it starves. That would be the goal. Not saying it's 100% but worth a try. If it doesn't work, then there aren't any chemicals to worry about killing anything, especially the amphibians. They absorb everything through their skin.

You can kill ich in 3-4 days just using salts.

#1 take your plants out and put them in buckets. They may not die but they will suffer really bad.

#2 you must do this when the temp is about 80 deg, so you gotta keep doing a few water changes or something to keep it a little cooler

#3 make sure you have plenty of oxygen going into the pond.

#4 only use non-iodized salt

OK now for the salting. Add one teaspoon of salt per gallon of water (works out to slightly more than 2 cups per 100 gallons)

WAIT 12 HOURS!!!

Do the same dosage again.

WAIT 12 HOURS!!!

Do the same dosage again.

Now, the ick will die anywhere from 12-48 hours from the last dose.

Then that will get rid of your ich problem. Leave the salt in there a couple or few days after that last dose to prevent anything from coming back.

Then after its time, do 30-50% water changes over the cource of a week to get most of the salt out.

Hope this helps, it is a lot more effective than some chemicals. I have never seen an instance where the DIDNT work.

Back
Top Bottom