Outdoor pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katelyn1540

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I live in a place where in the winter it is very cold and I built an outdoor pond for fish. What fish do you think would live best in an outdoor pond, because right now the only thing that lives in that pond is a hibernating snake that I caught and brought he with me! Any ideas on witch fish I should get for the pond?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

A few details would be helpful such as your general location (or exactly how hot/cold does it get there), volume and dimensions of the pond, filtration, plants present, and sun exposure/shade.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I live in New Mexico. It gets pretty cold here in the winter about 20 highest is about 30. Lots of snow. It's not the biggest pond but it is deep and we have a stream that leads up to a waterfall! I can get some pictures soon

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Pics would be great.
Most commonly used that can survive those winters are goldfish and koi.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could do some research on fish native to your area.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

As previously mentioned, goldfish and koi survive up here in NY with a simple small heater to keep water from freezing, but water is still cold. Air temps here can reach -20 to -30 F. I would think the biggest challenge in NM would be keeping water in the pond.

Assuming other environmental factors support it, you just stop feeding the goldfish and koi after the water temp gets below around 40 degrees F. They basically go into hibernation.

I have a small outdoor pond in the back yard that gets cleaned out and shut down sometime in October every year. The goldfish move into a basement aquarium for the winter. There's 6 in there now for their 2nd winter inside. :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom