plan ideas for the beginers (ponds)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tominator....

That's really too broad a topic to take up in one thread.

There are literally "thousands" of ideas and options one has for starting up a
pond.

Start with a size and dollar budget and we can zero in a bit more!! :)

Bernie

http://aquariumadvice.com/viewreview.php?review=13

Helen Nash, The Complete Pond Builder.

Tom,

This is the best book I've ever seen on building ponds. Considering it is a couple hundred pages, we could never duplicate all the ideas and techniques here on this board (not to mention copyright infringment). The info I got from this book was invaluable, and the pictures were even more helpful, as I am very visually oriented.

I highly suggest you either buy it, or check it out from your local library.

Considering it is the dead of winter, this is the prime time to do research on what you'll want to do when spring arrives.

I'm really glad you are interested in getting into ponding, but you need a good deal of background before we can help much. I researched for a long time before purchasing any supplies to build my pond, or before I even touched a shovel.

Setting up a pond requires more research than most, if not all, aquarium set ups. If you mess up a hole in the ground, fixing it is more trouble than you can imagine.

None of us mean to be rude or anything, but please get some background first, then come back with more specific questions.

Good Luck!

whish I had this said to me - I did my pond only knowing a few things my father said to me and after 2 years I have to level it /build up the sides better / buy a proper liner which by the way $$$$ especially here in canada and a 2000 gallon at that / and having to tare down my old waterfall and restart it from scratch on building it up - so you see Tominator , there are many things to think about and there is always pain and the $$$ as well - but in the end it is well worth it , not to say every thing you learn from others willing to help. So good luck and happy reading , winter is not that long - I have my plans all laid out and ready to fix and repair now I just need to save some $$$$p.s we are always here to try and help and answer any questions - hopefully you do not make the same mistakes that some of us new ponders do.

guys u dont understand list like this exampl:

above ground pond

ok here is my design

5 foot wide 9 foot long 3 foot high
2inch by 2inch square tubing frame
1inch by 2inch rectangle tubing for vertical supports
inside the frame grinded down sheet medal so there isnt any sharp edges
all welded except for the corners those will be bolted to gether
a 45 mil rectangle linner to go inside
dirt under neath to add support
pebbles to go in the bottom about 4 inches deep
add some plants (thinking)
add some fish (thinking)
some trees that hang over the pond

Try it, tell us how it works out, Tom.

It goes against most pond building principles I'm familiar with.

I have nothing else on this topic.

Best of luck to you.

Koi Kichi is another great book to invest in :)

Don't be in such a hurry to build this pond!! Please do your research :wink:
Think about the kinds of fish you want.
Koi need about 4' of water to maintain a healthy life span. Think about bottom drains~ this cleans the poop off the bottom.
How about your filters? Where will the beneficial bacteria grow? How about your pumps(submersible or out of pond)
Skimmer? Waterfalls? rocks or unrocked?
Waterchanges are done weekly, same with testing.
Again~ ask ask and ask :)

yeah guys ur getting it i just want the begginers that start building there pond to be able to get an idea or advice from this thread

Its not a matter of "US" giving you designs. You and you alone can make your decisions. As a few members said earlier in this post, you have to read. We can not really give you ideas. This website is meant for questions about problems, or just general conversations about either ponds, freshwater, or saltwater. You need to take your time and go out to the local book store and buy some good books. THEN come back here with problems or questions.....

Back
Top Bottom