Stock options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplanner

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm hoping to get a 29 gallon kit for my birthday, and planning in advance for how many goldfish can live in the tank. It will be cycled and upgraded but there will be a bn pleco and I'm hoping I get the black moors, is it better to place a heaters or not?

You could at most have 2 fancy goldfish in there. And that would be stocked. If you have a pleco in there too, watch the parameters very carefully, and you'll probably have to do either larger PWC, or do them more often.

And the black moors don't need a heater. They'll do fine at room temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I do PWC every other day and I wanted to know if excluding the heater will affect my pleco

Nope, it shouldn't affect it. There are people I know who just have plecos out in their ponds. The ponds are at the mercy of nature, and the plecos seem to do just fine.

Be very careful with the pleco & the moors. Plecos are not recommended with fancies because plecos find sleeping fancies quite tasty & will snack their slime coats at night. Moors are visually impaired as it is & are at quite a disadvantage. Some large snails would be safer option. :)

I heard that goldfish will harass the snails and won't feeding the pleco good prevent snacking?!

Never had issue with large snails & my guys. They occasionally will snack on tiny pond snails if they notice them. Snails just have to be big enough that they can't fit in their mouths (quarter size or larger). You may not have an issue with pleco initially but eventually you likely will. I think it's easier to prevent problems before they happen then try to fix the aftermath. :)

Back
Top Bottom