Trout Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sa777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could I make a trout aquarium? If you have ever had one please give me a detailed description of the setup and the inhabitants. I have an empty 125 gallon long, plenty of room for small brooks or rainbows. If you know of a way I could keep the water chilled and/or flowing, please help.

If your going to do a river tank, I would use some pretty powerful powerheads

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would imagine a indoor pond would be a better choice especially if you are going for a river tank. the more surface area the better. The powerhead is going to create a river alright but I don't think the fish will be too happy if the thing blows them against the glass so make sure there is a few dead spots at the end so it simulates the river ending. But IMO you should try to make an indoor pond that way they can swim in all directions and get away from the current if they chose. What is the width of the tank? Trout are kind of big so make sure they can turn around and swim straight ahead. Do you plan to eat them? :) I don't think I could eat my own fish... "fish are friends not food"-Nemo

Most trout need water that's less than 60 degrees, with death starting to occur in low tropical temps. This is why they are found in cold, mountain streams during the summer time as the ponds and other bodies of water that may exist warm up.

So you would need to chill the water, that would be the biggest challenge. Next is the flow, but that isn't a huge deal if you simply make a setup for hillstream loaches. Bottom line, is going to cost as much as a reef to build, but it can be done.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

you could just put some ice in every few hours?

:brows: just kiding they sell colors for aquareums ive seen them they are realy cool

Something else that would be notable- trout are HIGHLY susceptible to disease and require pristine water conditions to minimize this. Lots of changes, and even then you may still lose fish.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, I love the idea, but I doubt it'd be possible in that size tank. These fish get big, probably around 30 lbs, I've caught brooks in the stream in the woods, and they were at least a foot and a half. They also need live food, minnows, lizards, and insects, as well as cold water and an extremely fast current with some eddies along the sides and "dead" pools. A pond would be better, easier to maintain and you would have enough space. In a smaller tank you could do a school of Celestial pearl Danio's, to me the look like little trout, and the big tank maybe some plecos or something cool.

Nils

well ive heard that bass catfish and pike are from warmer water, could do some recherche on those?

You could probably do a peacock bass and bluegill raised together, or a largemouth, but depending on where you catch the largemouth and how big the species gets you would have to release it again. You could house two peacock bass and 5 bluegill in that 125, but you would need strong filtration. The only catfish I can think of would be rainbow, but I've only caught small ones so I don't know how big they actually get. DO some research about native fish and what you can stock.

Nils

You could probably do a peacock bass and bluegill raised together, or a largemouth, but depending on where you catch the largemouth and how big the species gets you would have to release it again. You could house two peacock bass and 5 bluegill in that 125, but you would need strong filtration. The only catfish I can think of would be rainbow, but I've only caught small ones so I don't know how big they actually get. DO some research about native fish and what you can stock.

Nils

Peacock bass get too big for a 125. The general minimum tank size from people that actually have them is 300 for a single one by itself. Others recommend nothing less than a 10'x4' tank.

Bass pro shops has a huge tank with trout in New Hampshire but a lot of the fish have diseases and fin rot, like some one said earlier they are very easy to get sick so needs pristine water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sunfish...easy to catch, easy to feed, easy to keep, look awesome...done...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah yeah yeah. Get some longear sunfish. Add some mountain redbelly dace.

I'd do regular in a 125, be like a bootleg discus tank:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1424611222621.jpg
    1424611222621.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 92
Sorry about the Peacock Bass, haven't actually kept one just looked it up on live aquaria and they said a 70 is sufficient....but I'm agreed with Sunfish as well, they are really easy to keep as long as you can provide meaty foods and insects, those are their primary diets here in N.C. They'll eat just about anything we put on the hook, but they like small crayfish and minnows too. Make it a rocky environment, lots of plants too, and lots of caves. You could also throw a couple Pumpkinseed in there, they are cool fish and are like miniature cichlids, although they do get big and can be aggressive at times.

Nils

Back
Top Bottom