Trout Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Young_pumpkinseed_sunfish.jpg

Here's some info on commercial trout production, which is very focused on keeping them alive.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1424747587967.jpg
    1424747587967.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 89
  • 1424747634350.jpg
    1424747634350.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 86
I have kept trout in a 100 gallon aquarium before. You DO NOT NEED A HEATER. U DO need very good filtration and I mean very good. This is a wild fish that eats and poops a ton. They also like to be I'm groups so u probably would want 5-6. Trout can also be picky on what they eat but usually minnows or nightcrawlers will do the trick! Hope this helped

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I have kept trout in a 100 gallon aquarium before. You DO NOT NEED A HEATER. U DO need very good filtration and I mean very good. This is a wild fish that eats and poops a ton. They also like to be I'm groups so u probably would want 5-6. Trout can also be picky on what they eat but usually minnows or nightcrawlers will do the trick! Hope this helped

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

How long?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

you will want excellent filtration like said, like 3-5 fluval 406's and that would cost you like $1500 to $2000. so you will probably want to have one custom built by an custom aquarium shop. then you will get the perfect filter for your tank, because our filters are not realy made for trout

I would probably do an overflow setup with a wet/dry filter.

Like a 75 gal sump, with 2 massive return pumps..

How long did you keep them? Acceptable temperature is like 41-67F for these fish.

Yes, did you have them for weeks or years?

Yes, did you have them for weeks or years?

Had the tank for year and a half before a hurricane hit my state and lost power for four days!!!! All of them died

Or how long the tank was?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank was a regular 100 gallon

How long did you keep them? Acceptable temperature is like 41-67F for these fish.

Year and a half... Temped stayed at around 60.

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Most any type of trout is going to require a chiller to maintain, you might get away with a type of rainbow without a chiller if you can keep the tank temp below 60 degrees year round. If you've ever actually watched the swimming habits of trout in nature, they pretty much hang in the same spot in a stream in the main current and that is the extent of their swimming. I would think that long rectangular tank would actually be more desirable for them than a pond. I've snorkeled with them in streams, and you would be amazed at the strength of current that they can simply sit in one spot in. One that would sweep you or I down stream in a heartbeat, they just sit and hangout in.

Most any type of trout is going to require a chiller to maintain, you might get away with a type of rainbow without a chiller if you can keep the tank temp below 60 degrees year round. If you've ever actually watched the swimming habits of trout in nature, they pretty much hang in the same spot in a stream in the main current and that is the extent of their swimming. I would think that long rectangular tank would actually be more desirable for them than a pond. I've snorkeled with them in streams, and you would be amazed at the strength of current that they can simply sit in one spot in. One that would sweep you or I down stream in a heartbeat, they just sit and hangout in.

They are able to sit in one spot because they sit in shower current behind a rock or branch or in a pool.

They are able to sit in one spot because they sit in shower current behind a rock or branch or in a pool.

Actually not as much as you would think - most of their time is actually spent out in the current or sitting out in front of that rock or branch. Snorkeling with them vs. fishing for them, kind of changes your perspective a good bit in regards to where they spend their time.

Those rocks and branches they are in front of help to break up the current a little bit. Its not like they are swimming on top in riffles all the time.

You are describing the execution of an efficient design. They are able to detect eddies and paths of least resistance and their body shape allows them to conserve energy yet still be able to accelerate as needed. Must have been pretty cool to witness this, WY. And pretty cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Those rocks and branches they are in front of help to break up the current a little bit. Its not like they are swimming on top in riffles all the time.

You are describing the execution of an efficient design. They are able to detect eddies and paths of least resistance and their body shape allows them to conserve energy yet still be able to accelerate as needed. Must have been pretty cool to witness this, WY. And pretty cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Quite right folks - however they do indeed spend a considerable amount of time sitting right out in the current. I agree that body shape is a large factor, as they make it appear pretty effortless. It was indeed cool and cold, at least on the face, as we were all in body suits - after a short time however your face just went numb.

Point being, trout not only tolerate but need/expect that high powered current - what you and I would consider capable of blowing them all over the tank isn't going to bother them at all. I personally think the ideal situation would be a rectangular tank fitted with overflows and high powered returns on the ends rather than the back, perhaps combined with the river manifold system as well to ensure high powered flow on the bottom as well as across the top. I would also think that due to the requirement for pristine conditions a large sump (perhaps the same size or very close to the display tank itself filled with large amounts of plants suited to such an environment (such as hornwort) would also be ideal. Then, a particularly creative person could add a nice 3-D foam background which when combined with the use of actual river rock and branches would create not only a very realistic look, but would also then provide currents, eddies, and paths of least resistance. The addition of hornwort as well as other cold-tolerant plant species and macroinvertebrates, such as amphipods and various types of fly nymphs would create the ideal habitat for this species.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom