How many ADF's in a 3.3 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I buttered up my mum and she said i can use the 11 gallon! I haven't told her about ADF's yet though. But she will let me get them. I'll ask her tomorrow.

How many ADF's in there then? It will be a species tank apart from 2 Nerite's and perhaps an Apple Snail. :D so happy!

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is
434%
Recommended water change schedule: 15% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 61%

^That is from Aqadvisor with the following:
18" x 12" x 12" tank,
3 x ADF's,
1 x Female Betta,
2 x Zebra Nerite Snails,
1 x Apple Snail,
1 x Amano Shrimp,
Interpet Power Filter 2,
Hagen Elite Stingray 10.

Mr.Albiman said:
You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is
434%
Recommended water change schedule: 15% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 61%

^That is from Aqadvisor with the following:
18" x 12" x 12" tank,
3 x ADF's,
1 x Female Betta,
2 x Zebra Nerite Snails,
1 x Apple Snail,
1 x Amano Shrimp,
Interpet Power Filter 2,
Hagen Elite Stingray 10.

Aqadvisor isn't a very reliable tool IMO. It takes take into consideration many things involved with stocking. ADF are nearly blind, so they should be kept alone where competition for food won't be an issue.

So you think no on the Betta? I will be feeding the Betta at the same time as pipette feeding the ADF's so i don't think there'll be an issue there.

If doing a species tank, you could have eight frogs in there, no problem. They will have plenty of space to swim and will actually be more active because of the larger group size IME.

The amano may get eaten by full size frogs. But if you don't mind the risk since they aren't too pricy, it's fine.

I have one concern on the apple snail, which is that they grow quite large and really require quite a bit of food. With the type of feeding you'll be doing, there will definitely not be adequate leftovers for them. They can be hard to supplement, but shrimp pellets seem to go over pretty well. The frogs, on the other hand, should not have pellets other than their own. It would be difficult to get the snail enough to eat w/o the frogs getting any. With the nerites, you may only want to get one for the same reason. Zebra nerites are large enough that one should be able to take care of all algae produced by healthy tank of that size w/o needing supplements. I would atleast start with one and get another if it seems needed down the road. I know I only need one in mine. Especially if doing the amano as well, which is also an algae eater.

Personally, I wouldn't add the betta, but it is a popular combo. Most of the female bettas I've had aren't aggresive, so I doubt she would hurt them, especially if they are of a decent size when you pick them up. If they are real small, you could always grow them out a bit in the 3.3 before adding them to the main tank. But I would actually worry more about the frogs hurting the betta. I've had some pretty aggresive frogs. Not that long ago I had a fairly young frog almost gobbled up by another at feeding time. Their vision is really quite poor. Also I can tell you from experience, feeding a species only tank is more simple and less stressful (for me anyway) than when they are mixed with fish. If you decide to try it, just know the risks going into it. ;)

Okay you changed my mind ;) 8 ADF's it is (if I'm allowed that many) and 1 Nerite snail. If i supplement the snail with wafers will the ADF's eat them? How do you feed the frozen bloodworm? Do you thaw it and feed it or just put it in where you want it? :)

Just wait until the tank has matured and you actually see some bits of algae and then add the snail. From that point just one shouldn't need supplemented. For 8 frogs I would pick up two small feeding dishes. As an alternative, you could also just pick two feeding areas in the tank, but the dishes will even further eliminate uneaten waste. I put the pellets or thawed frozen food in a turkey baster and just deposit it right into their dishes. The frogs are usually very small when first purchased, so I would plan on doing mostly frozen foods at first, until they have bulked up a bit, and then you can slowly start adding in more frog and tapole bites, if you want to. :)

Right. Thanks so much Erin! It sounds like a brilliant plan! Out of everyone on this site you have helped me the most. I really appreciate it. I'll PM you when i get this up and running around Christmas-time. :D

Back
Top Bottom