My new axolotls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creno9210

Aquarium Advice Activist
Omgahhh. Too cute!!

29 gallon~ soon to house 2 baby axolotls♡♡
35 gallon~ red ear slider, goldie feeders
38~ 5 giant danio, pleco and chinese algae eater.

Attachments

• 1425508174977.jpg
    1425508174977.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 1425508198317.jpg
    1425508198317.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 1425508220793.jpg
    1425508220793.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 256
  • 1425508240177.jpg
    1425508240177.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 251
Sir lancealottle and queen Guinevere

29 gallon~ soon to house 2 baby axolotls♡♡
35 gallon~ red ear slider, goldie feeders
38~ 5 giant danio, pleco and chinese algae eater.

Where do you get the axolotls

Sent from my LGLS740 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How much are they ?

Can they live with ACF

20 long 2 good for that amount of water
How much ?

Axolotls get around 10" with some reaching a foot. You could do 10g as Caleb said for a single specimen but a 20g would be better. Don't put them with anything. Axies are better in species only tanks

Jesse

Axolotls get around 10" with some reaching a foot. You could do 10g as Caleb said for a single specimen but a 20g would be better. Don't put them with anything. Axies are better in species only tanks

Jesse

My reading didn't say quite a foot. More like 7-8 inches tops but "the more you know" :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

IIRC, there is photo documentation of one reaching 16-18" lol

Jesse

Going to say it was a wild caught. Quite a few fish get much larger in the wild no matter what size tank they are given.

Don't believe so. They'll reach 7-8" in 8-10 months and it doesn't stop there. Several members on Caudata with 12"+ specimens.

Also, I just found a link saying the largest axolotl ever recorded was just under 140cm. I'm too lazy to do the math but I think that's 55" :O

Jesse

Don't believe so. They'll reach 7-8" in 8-10 months and it doesn't stop there. Several members on Caudata with 12"+ specimens.

Also, I just found a link saying the largest axolotl ever recorded was just under 140cm. I'm too lazy to do the math but I think that's 55" :O

Jesse

Holy guacamole that's one big axo.

ACF would probably tear them up
Caleb

Just seeing this post. I can confirm that while the ACF don't tear them up, they do bully them quite a bit. We put one around 3-4" long in our 29g tank in the living room that also houses 4 mid-size young ACF's and they pick on him constantly. The gills attract their attention. The tiny little legs too.

Feeding time is the worst. While the ACF's go crazy and fight each other for every scrap of food, the new guy was very timid and would go hide during feeding time. We'd end up hand feeding him little chunks of earthworm. Even that was tough cause the frogs would try and sneak up and steal the worms.

That went on for a couple weeks until a couple nights ago, the wife had enough and said she wanted him out of there or she was gonna start flushing frogs! So I dusted off an old 10 gallon tank in the garage, threw some sand in it, a few live plants and a spare Aqueon 30 HoB filter. Got him a little albino Cory and a plain orange Molly to keep him company.

So far so good. His color is looking better, gills are turning bright pink. Everyone in there getting along great. (y)

ACF are cool, but very aggressive feeders. Anything small enough to shove in their mouths, is going in their mouths. Fortunately, we have a gigantic Pleco and 3 Cory cats big enough to hold their own in there that do well and keep things clean.

Axolotls arent recommended to be kept together when young, they are cannibals when small and can easily bite off each others gills and limbs. It isn't uncommon to end up with an Axo missing a leg...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I am sorry but this tread is full of misinformation. People interested in this animal should ignore most of the facts people present here

I am sorry but this tread is full of misinformation. People interested in this animal should ignore most of the facts people present here

Wondering if new information out there as this thread is a little old. Without disagreeing or agreeing, what information are you going to present to make your case?

Back
Top Bottom